Spyderco Hatchet

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Some1

Re: Spyderco Hatchet

Post by Some1 »

This looks good but the edge will definitely need some work with a file. I don't know what's up with the v grind when everyone knows a decent axe or hatchet needs a thin convex.

Has spyderco done any convex grinds?

Also, a rehandle from West Handles would probably be a good thing. Anyone know the specs of the eye?

Based on the pictures I can't in good conscience buy one of these unless i hold it in my hand first. Needs to be rehandled, needs to be completely reprofiled, and it's likely as much or more than an equivalent piece from gransfors bruk or council tool velvicut line. Hard to pull the trigger when it doesn't meet or exceed what the competition is doing. Sorry for the unbiased opinion based on pictures alone.

This isn't deal spotting. It's posting a piece that seems equivalent with reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/Hunters-Axe-Gran ... B000WIPSSY
Last edited by Some1 on Thu May 31, 2018 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Pretty sure the Lum tanto fixed blade had a convex edge.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Looking forward to seeing actual photos. I agree that the grind looks too thick.
Trackstar555

Post by Trackstar555 »

I’m so excited for this hatchet! Thanks Spyderco!
Some1

Post by Some1 »

Can someone who attends blade this year take some photos of this from the top so we can see the edge thickness please?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Trackstar,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Ookami

Post by Ookami »

Just a little teaser of the production prototype in action...

Ookami
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx for the pics. I've been throwing mine.

sal
Ookami

Post by Ookami »

As I've been involved in this project, I want to touch upon some of the concerns that were raised. The objective was a relatively lightweight tomahawk/hatchet hybrid that will fit a daypack and is capable of doing camp tasks and bushcrafting.

- The grind on HatchetHawk prototype from the Amsterdam Meet was too steep and has been modified accordingly. It is a double bevel, not a single bevel.
- A thin convex is one way to grind an axe/hatchet, a 'V-grind' is another. The new Council Tool Saddle Axe has two 'V-grinds' at a different angle for each of the two bits and has met with critical acclaim. Many carving hatchets also have a 'V-grind' as do Fiskars axes and it is also an option for Tuatahi racing axes.
- The forward canted edge is intentional and can be found on many traditional axes as well, e.g. Italian patterns.
- A wooden handle would've been nice, but plastics are tougher and more predictable.

That said, I've used it, it works. It performs well splitting kindling, bucking (mostly ~3" diameter although I've tried larger for the heck of it) and limbing as well as carving tent pegs and spoon blanks. It will chop and it throws chips nicely instead of getting stuck like a thin blade might. With the well-balanced head and the handle ergonomics it hits like the proverbial 'ton of bricks' - for its compact size/weight. And, as Sal mentioned, it throws well.

Just this weekend I've used the HatchetHawk prototype in my cousin's orchard to limb a plum tree we had to fell. It cut well on the already dry limbs and it just lopped off the fresh limbs without even trying.

Ookami
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Is the whole head hardened? If not, any specs on how deep the bit was hardened and if the hammer face was hardened? If the whole head was hardened, at what RC was it hardened to?

Important specs for anyone considering dropping any real money on a hatchet. Other makers who do well with hatchets and axes release theirs and the forest service has specs that they demanded from council tools for their hatchets. I can say that anyone who knows about these things probably doesn't really want the entire head hardened, even if it's just a pack axe.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

Any word on release date for these?
sal

Post by sal »

First I'd like to thank Ookami for his help and patience on this project, which took entirely too long. Apologies.

It's a unique tool for sure. We're starting to get hatchet/hawks in and we're waiting on sheaths. We wanted to make it in the USA which actually added years to the project. It was a new concept for the vendor, but "persistence is king". Many issues had to be solved.

sal
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Thanks for your dedication to making things here even when it’s not convenient.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

tvenuto wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:28 pm
Thanks for your dedication to making things here even when it’s not convenient.
Yes! Thank you for that.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I am seriously considering one or more of these.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

This is an exciting venture. I cannot wait to see the final product. I may figure out a way to get one of these.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Is this a production or sprint run? I will definitely grab one as it is made in my home state of NC. If there is any 5160 left please feel free to do a run of Natives and Millies! :)
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Ookami

Post by Ookami »

The poll is definitely hardened.

I don't have the specifics, but I'd go out on a limb and assume that the HRC values of the Velvicut line are a good ballpark number.

Ookami
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Ookami wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:55 pm
The poll is definitely hardened.

I don't have the specifics, but I'd go out on a limb and assume that the HRC values of the Velvicut line are a good ballpark number.

Ookami
Thanks Ookami. Any way you can get a file and see if the cheeks near the eye are hardened?
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Steelcity,

It's regular production.

sal