Which Endura

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Kevhead

Which Endura

Post by Kevhead »

My local knife store just got in two used Enduras. Both are partially serated.. One is a black 3 with VG10 and the original spiderweb box. The other is a gray or brown (can’t remember which) Endura 4. I want to go back and pick one up assuming they are still available. They both are used but in great condition, and we’re priced the same. Which one should I try to get?

Thanks
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Which Endura

Post by Doc Dan »

Gray or Brown and partially serrated, or full flat ground? If full flat ground, I would go with that one. Otherwise, get the color you prefer.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Kevhead

Post by Kevhead »

The Endura 3 and 4 are both serrated. Only difference is generation and color.
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

I’m going to assume Endura 3 is saber grind and Endura 4 is FFG...if this is correct, I’d go Endura 4.
Jase

Current:
Para 3 LWT & Delica 4 Damascus KnifeJoy Exclusive

On The Hunt For:
Delica 4 Sprints & Exclusives (Background here...viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85708)

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
Kevhead

Post by Kevhead »

Both are saber combo edged. I’m curious if anyone prefers the 3rd generation to the 4. The 3 has a barrel clip and the 4 has the four position clip like the Delicas. Just wondering if people have strong preferences for one over the other.

Jase, nice Wharnecliffe Delicas.
vivi

Post by vivi »

3. Much better ergonomics, lighter, and better clip as long as you're fine with tip up.
:unicorn
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

Kevhead wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:45 pm
Both are saber combo edged. I’m curious if anyone prefers the 3rd generation to the 4. The 3 has a barrel clip and the 4 has the four position clip like the Delicas. Just wondering if people have strong preferences for one over the other.

Ok, that makes sense. Couldn’t help you here being a Delica man.

Thanks!! Love em.
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Similar to Vivi’s comment:
Since you can hold them prior, whichever you feel better in hand. Also if you don’t mind tip up. If upu want tip down carry, get the E4.
Chris :spyder:
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Man Kev that is a difficult choice! Both saber ground. Wow. I cannot decide for you. But, part of me would lean to the Endura 4 and the other to the Endura 3. Please let us know which you decide on.
Kevhead

Post by Kevhead »

Thanks for the replies. Hopefully they’re still there tomorrow. I saw them on Friday when I picked up a couple of knives he sharpened for me. He offers free sharpening of pocket knives and does a lot better job than I can. I wasn’t thinking about buying then but have had a weekend to kick myself for not.

I wish they were FFG but they are both partially serrated. He got them both from the same guy along with a Tenacious. My Delica 4 is saber ground and I keep hearing how most prefer FFG. I need to get one some day.
Kevhead

Post by Kevhead »

Well I traded for the gray Endura 4 today. He made the decision easy...he was only willing to even trade for the 4 , not the 3. He must prefer the older version. The only sign of wear is slight scuffs on the clip. I handled both and preferred the clip on the 3, but the 4 fit my hand better. Just like my Delica.

Gotta say the Spidie hole is plain genius. I used to think they looked a little strange, but they are so much more natural to open than thumb studs. My other knives feel awkward now. Thanks for your replys.
Kevhead

Post by Kevhead »

JaseRicco wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:00 pm
Kevhead wrote:

Thanks!! Love em.

Have you handled the Endura yet? You might like it, they are virtually identical to your Delicas, only bigger.
bgoode315

Post by bgoode315 »

My favorite pattern. Congrats on getting a great knife.
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

Kevhead wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:54 pm
JaseRicco wrote:
Kevhead wrote:

Thanks!! Love em.

Have you handled the Endura yet? You might like it, they are virtually identical to your Delicas, only bigger.
I have not because I prefer a smaller blades around the 3” size. But as many times I have heard individuals rave about the Delica, I have heard them rave about the Endura. Basically big brother little brother sizes.
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Did u sell ur other delicas?
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

Daveho wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:51 pm
Did u sell ur other delicas?
I’m assuming that’s directed at me...

I talked to CS, since I have the Wharncliffes in orange and black I am exchanging the other two for different colors. This way when I choose a knife from my collection to carry, it’s more about what color and less about Wharncliffe vs Leaf, which solves my dilemma. So, I’m either getting on a preorder list for the two Delica Sprints coming out this year, or choosing two colors from the list of colors I would like. Or maybe even go with the Tasman Salt 2 or Salt 2. Wish I knew when these sprints were gonna drop. Would make the decision easier.
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Considering they are used, the one that is the least beat to heck
mjdragonfly

Post by mjdragonfly »

Kevhead wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:54 pm
JaseRicco wrote:
Kevhead wrote:

Thanks!! Love em.

I have to agree with Kevhead about the Endura. I came into the Endura with a very negative mind set it looked too long and too thin I just did not think that it would have a good balance or fit in my hand and could not possibly feel as comfortable as my Delica(s) do. The moment I put my Endura into my hand and opened it all my doubts melted away. The Endura is wonderful and I like the fit for my hand (9" thumb tip to pinky tip hand outstretched) is perfect. I prefer the weight and fit/feel of the Endura to my Delica's but I don't want to carry such a long knife blade in town as an EDC so instead I use my Endura in the Kitchen as my primary food prep knife so it gets more use than my regular pocket carry knives. Did I mention that I love my Endura 4 in ZDP-189?
Calgary on the Bow