Any chance for a slysz bowie sprint?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
plow_2

Any chance for a slysz bowie sprint?

Post by plow_2 »

I finally decided to buy one when it was discontinued and now the secondary market has exploded. A sprint would be awesome.
Daveho

Re: Any chance for a slysz bowie sprint?

Post by Daveho »

Another run would be fantastic, sprint or not.
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

I doubt it. History shows that models produced in Taichung, Taiwan don't get Sprint Runs. There were a couple variants of the Southard, a couple of Positrons (one was a KC Exclusive), and a couple of Szabo folders; but no Sprint Runs.

I do hope a Sprint Slysz Bowie is made one day anyway.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I would also like to see a sprint or re-run. A re-run in M4 would be dope
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

We have seen other Taiwan sprints. The ppt comes to mind. I’m more interested in a more affordable Bowie 2 with one side g10 in a similar manner to the rubicon2. Its an expensive model at $300. How much would a full ti sprint with m390 be? $350? Seems out of reach to most people and not sure it would sell well.
FX sniper

Post by FX sniper »

YES , S. Bowie 2 with G10., many colors, different steels. Maybe more pronounced drop on that clip point.
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

Yes, I completely forget about the new PPT Sprint.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

SF Native wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:47 am
We have seen other Taiwan sprints. The ppt comes to mind. I’m more interested in a more affordable Bowie 2 with one side g10 in a similar manner to the rubicon2. Its an expensive model at $300. How much would a full ti sprint with m390 be? $350? Seems out of reach to most people and not sure it would sell well.
I respectfully disagree. If they did a full-Ti sprint of the Slysz Bowie in M390, they'd sell every single one of them, and very quickly too. It's an extremely well-loved design even among folks who aren't Spyderco addicts, it's been discontinued, and M390 is fantastic. I know I'd buy one, and the other 1199 would sell just as fast.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Probably less then a 0% chance lol
Josh
vernonremington

Post by vernonremington »

Highly unlikely. I still can’t believe it was discontinued.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

dplafoll wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:14 pm
SF Native wrote:
I respectfully disagree. If they did a full-Ti sprint of the Slysz Bowie in M390, they'd sell every single one of them, and very quickly too. It's an extremely well-loved design even among folks who aren't Spyderco addicts, it's been discontinued, and M390 is fantastic. I know I'd buy one, and the other 1199 would sell just as fast.
I’m sure you are right Patrick. It would sell. I only want an affordable option for personal reasons as I couldn’t quite pull the trigger at $300. It’s purely a mental block. But it seems they could sell these going upscale or down.
This model would do well going down in my opinion. Heck, do both.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

SF Native wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:44 pm
dplafoll wrote:
SF Native wrote:
I’m sure you are right Patrick. It would sell. I only want an affordable option for personal reasons as I couldn’t quite pull the trigger at $300. It’s purely a mental block. But it seems they could sell these going upscale or down.
This model would do well going down in my opinion. Heck, do both.
If you haven't pulled the trigger at $300 but conceivably could, then you should. I carry it pretty much everyday. It just works.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
plow_2

Post by plow_2 »

I think now that it's discontinued and everyone (including me) missed their chance they would sell fast. they're selling for 400 on the secondary market pretty easily.
wrisher

Post by wrisher »

dplafoll wrote:
SF Native wrote:
Totally agreed, I haven’t been much of a fan of spyderco, but I do own a slysz and I think it is one of the most solid knives I’ve ever owned hands down. Spyderco knocked this out of the park. Still wondering why they discontinued it...
wrisher

Post by wrisher »

plow_2 wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:58 pm
I think now that it's discontinued and everyone (including me) missed their chance they would sell fast. they're selling for 400 on the secondary market pretty easily.
One on eBay sold for $555! It’s nuts, I got lucky and bought mine for $350 LNIB, still high, but definitely better than $555...
Instagram is a great place to look, #knifesales are everywhere.
jasong™

Post by jasong™ »

wrisher wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:13 pm
plow_2 wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:58 pm
One on eBay sold for $555! It’s nuts, I got lucky and bought mine for $350 LNIB, still high, but definitely better than $555...
Instagram is a great place to look, #knifesales are everywhere.
i want one. badly :(
"leave shiny footprints" - Sal Glesser
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

Been kicking myself ever since I just barely missed a chance to get one for $300 from ApostleP.

A sprint run or a revival of the model would be awesome for fans/users and would be a well-deserved kick in the nuts for folks who sell a $300 for $600 on the secondary market.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

if they do bring it back, please make sure it has a lockbar insert.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

Oh man, if they did re-release it as a sprint run can you imagine the flipping that would happen? There would be more contention than over the Cruwear/Micarta Shaman!
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

While I think it's highly unlikely, I would jump on a sprint.

What I really hope is that Spyderco brings it back with a full production run for all those who missed out. It's a great knife and doesn't need a fancy steel or a lockbar/overtravel addition IMO. Let's just hope they still have the "tooling".

Looking toward the future, I'm still hoping for the similar but slimmer Spyderco'd Slysz Rat https://www.instagram.com/p/BNuwTkzAOMp ... hare_sheet, the Slysz Swaback is all but guaranteed, and I'd be surprised if we don't eventually see a Techno3 flipper https://www.instagram.com/p/BvJ-94aDfs7 ... hare_sheet or Hummingbird https://www.instagram.com/p/B38uTRPj1si ... hare_sheet.