If you had to pick just one?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MacLaren

Re: If you had to pick just one?

Post by MacLaren »

Folder Military 204p
Fixed - well, the Temp 2 has been discontinued and we still haven't seen the Province.
pinepig2

Post by pinepig2 »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:56 pm
And I can't help but pointing out that the Stretch 1 came in second, lying level with 3 overall very popular models (Military, Para 3, Manix 2). Amazing, that it never sold really well. Seems to be valued only in groups like this forum, where people either really use or have a deeper understanding of knives or both (that statement is in no way meant to disregard people who are not really into knives of course).
I suspect another factor at play might be that the Stretch 1 was really slow to catch on, to the point that it had already been discontinued before many of it's current supporters came on board.

That was basically true for me, even though I'd owned and carried a CF ZDP-189 version since not long after its release. Trying the Stretch 2 with it's less than stellar (for me) ergo's was a trigger for me to realize how good the Stretch 1 was all along. That and doing some additional A/B comparisons with other new models Spyderco was releasing (I bought and sold a LOT of Spydercos!).
Danvp

Post by Danvp »

At the moment definitely the Spydiechef. Lightweight, smooth action, small in the pocket for the size of its blade, corrosion resistant, good ergonomics, easy to sharpen, FFG...

I even ordered a backup. Or is that cheating?
pinepig2

Post by pinepig2 »

The SpydieChef popularity continues to surprise and impress me! When I handled one in a shop I felt the angle of the blade edge in relation to the handle was awkward, but of course I didn't actually cut anything with it. I see the idea to benefit food preparation but that's not something I do with a folding knife.

So many experienced Spyderco users love it that I might have to actually purchase one if it gets rereleased, to test it for real. I'm wondering if Spyderco is reengineering the lock bar after the concerns and analysis by some users.
Last edited by pinepig2 on Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pinepig2

Post by pinepig2 »

Keep hitting the darned quote button when I meant to edit!
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Delica 4 Zome Yellow Green S30V; a great all-rounder.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

I forget who told me that if I liked the Spydiechef in the Kitchen I should try the Hundred Pacer.

Since that day no more Spydiechef in the Kitchen.
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:38 pm
I forget who told me that if I liked the Spydiechef in the Kitchen I should try the Hundred Pacer.

Since that day no more Spydiechef in the Kitchen.
So uh....
What you gonna do with that there spydiechef?
Huh?
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Oh I don’t know remember the good times with it and sell it and the NIB backup for an obscene profit someday or just hold on to it and rotate it edc :spyder: bro. :D
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

There would be a lot of good choices. And this thread is closely related to the "jaded" thread.

If the only Spyderco I had and ever had was the first one I ever got, I would be just fine.

Namely the stock PM2 with S30V steel.

It is still very much the Spyderco I relate all other Spydercos to.
Mind you I love the Manix 2, the Military, the Police 4, and others -- and could be very happy with any one of them.

And yes, I find myself hitting quote when I want to hit edit also.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

pinepig2 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:39 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:56 pm
And I can't help but pointing out that the Stretch 1 came in second, lying level with 3 overall very popular models (Military, Para 3, Manix 2). Amazing, that it never sold really well. Seems to be valued only in groups like this forum, where people either really use or have a deeper understanding of knives or both (that statement is in no way meant to disregard people who are not really into knives of course).
I suspect another factor at play might be that the Stretch 1 was really slow to catch on, to the point that it had already been discontinued before many of it's current supporters came on board.

That was basically true for me, even though I'd owned and carried a CF ZDP-189 version since not long after its release. Trying the Stretch 2 with it's less than stellar (for me) ergo's was a trigger for me to realize how good the Stretch 1 was all along. That and doing some additional A/B comparisons with other new models Spyderco was releasing (I bought and sold a LOT of Spydercos!).
That's exactly why I started one of my very first threads on this forum (which I don't want to link here again, since it's been discussed exhaustivly). Topic was, if there could be BOTH the "1" and "2" in Spydercos current lineup.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
BigKenbo

Post by BigKenbo »

Millie in maxamet. Might also look at a native chief in maxamet if either were to become available.
Native 5 S110V G10 and LW. S90V LW. Salt LC200N. Maxamet. S30V G10 and LW. Endura 4 ZDP-189. HAP40. VG10.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

HAP40 Stretch.

z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Nice! What are the scales? Micarta? Aftermarket? The screw holes for the pocket clip at the pivot end look sealed up, no?
Cambertree wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:55 pm
HAP40 Stretch.

pinepig2

Post by pinepig2 »

Cambertree wrote:
HAP40 Stretch.
That's a slick Stretch, thanks for posting! I was so close to buying a second HAP40 Stretch after I bought my first one. This is making me kind of wish I had. I'm sure whatever NIB ones that are left on the market are very expensive.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

pinepig2 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:01 pm
Cambertree wrote:
HAP40 Stretch.
That's a slick Stretch, thanks for posting! I was so close to buying a second HAP40 Stretch after I bought my first one. This is making me kind of wish I had. I'm sure whatever NIB ones that are left on the market are very expensive.
BentoBoxShop still has the HAP 40 Stretch... $ 120. (VG 10 as well)
Last edited by Wartstein on Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
pinepig2

Post by pinepig2 »

I refuse to order from Bento due to their policies. Thanks though!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

pinepig2 wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:21 am
I refuse to order from Bento due to their policies. Thanks though!
Yes, their policies are "strange"... ;)

Nevertheless I "HAD" to order a VG10 Stretch 1 from them cause I really, really wanted one as a backup since I already lost one, the model is discontinued and I could not find one anywhere else. And I have to say: Everything went well and fast in my case.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Enactive wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:11 am
Nice! What are the scales? Micarta? Aftermarket? The screw holes for the pocket clip at the pivot end look sealed up, no?
Thanks! The scales are linen micarta made by suingab at g10.lt. He does excellent work. I always get my customised scales contoured at the edges now, feels so much more comfortable in extended use.

I was actually quite surprised to see some people commenting that they didn’t like the contoured edges on the Shaman, and that they would prefer slab sides, but there you go.

I favour lefty tip up carry, so I usually just have my scales drilled for that only. One of my very minor criticisms of the 4-way holes is that grit and gunk can get into the pivot area via the holes with extended use. I only really notice it on the Police 4 occasionally, TBH. In this case, as my Stretch is a dedicated hunting knife (used mostly on Sambar deer) I experimented with having glow-in-the-dark dots set into the tip-down screw holes.

The rationale was that sometimes when field dressing game as dusk comes on, it helps if you set your knife down. If you want the dots to glow for a while, you just hit them with a blast from a decent LED flashlight for a few seconds.

Also, when getting sorted in your tent or swag in the pre-dawn before a hunt, it’s convenient to be able to put your hand straight onto your knife in the dark, without having to light up the whole area.

As I said it was just an experiment, I wouldn’t necessarily do it on all my knives. It works better on a PM2 Cuscadi backspacer I have, because of the larger amount of GITD material.

My young nephews and niece thinks it’s the cat’s meow though, LOL!
pinepig2 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:01 pm
Cambertree wrote:
HAP40 Stretch.
Cheers Pinepig,

Yeah, I should do a thread on it one day but it’s been very interesting to see different people’s responses to using the HAP40 Stretch. Sometimes when the crew I hunt with have taken a few deer in the days hunt, we all have to pitch in and work fast to get the job done before dark, and I occasionally hand out random knives to people to see what their response is after working with them for a while. There is often resistance to using an odd looking folding knife. Then after they have finished with it, the universal response is to look at it closely and with respect while reluctantly passing it back, saying something like ‘wow, what is that knife anyway?!’

Originally I just used to carry it as a pocket backup to a custom 4” Loveless style DP in S30V. After some time, I realised I was using it most of the time and not even bothering to unsheath my belt knife.

Then I performed a few side by side comparisons while field dressing, and found I actually prefer using it most of the time to my fixed blades.

It really is a superb combination of ergonomic design and excellent bladesteel.

I wouldn’t lose too much sleep over not having a second HAP40, bro - soon enough there’ll be another fantastic steel to play with in the Stretch 2.

On paper I prefer the Stretch 1 just ‘cos I’m used to it, but I trust Sal’s design sense enough to believe the Stretch 2 will also be great, when I eventually get one. He did say he took on board a lot of feedback from hunters for the 2.

Last edited by Cambertree on Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.