supergold2 confirmation?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
God'sMyJudge

supergold2 confirmation?

Post by God'sMyJudge »

I just got a massdrop email saying there are a supergold endura and delica coming soon. Is this true?
CBro

Re: supergold2 confirmation?

Post by CBro »

Looks like a go, this offer is a must have in my book!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I remember Sal saying he was hoping to do a blue g10 with super gold. Hope that still happens.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

What is a 'supergold' ?

I love enduras so might be interested.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Me likey
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
God'sMyJudge

Post by God'sMyJudge »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:16 pm
I remember Sal saying he was hoping to do a blue g10 with super gold. Hope that still happens.
Looks like black FRN, BUT it has a gold or brass lock bar! Crazy. Cant wait for these!
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

So, I'm not sure if it's a Massdrop Exclusive, or if just the initial offering is. They say the run is 1500 pieces, but their drop is limited to 500 pieces, with the potential for future drops (but a 1000 piece max). It's a little confusing, but I've reached out to them to get some clarification on whether the number is 1500 or 1000. They responded and corrected the page. It's 1000 pieces.

In the discussion, the Massdrop Custom Product Manager for Blades and Everyday Carry says that while most sprint runs get a different color, black is overwhelmingly the handle color of choice in their community, so they went with black but added the matte gold colored lockbar (they also experimented with a matte gold plated blade, but decided it was "a little too gold") to give it a little extra visual distinction.
Last edited by jabba359 on Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
archangel

Post by archangel »

Your guess what the price may be? Ballpark?
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

archangel wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:43 pm
Your guess what the price may be? Ballpark?
No guessing needed. ;) $119.99 for the Delica, $129.99 for the Endura (free shipping to US addresses).
-Kyle

Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!

YES, finally. Waited so long for this.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Can any one explain how mass drop works, I'm confused
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:32 pm
They have a couple ways they do things. On pre-existing items, they list it up and people can buy in (often with price drops when certain quantities are reached). Once the order window closes, you're charged and they then ship the items right away.

Many items are Massdrop exclusives, where they take pre-orders for an item that they've negotiated to be built by the OEM. Once that window closes, Massdrop will submit the order to the manufacturer, who then produces the required quantity of the item. Once the item is manufactured, Massdrop receives them and then ships it to you.

In the case of this knife, Massdrop is basically selling pre-orders for these knives (the second scenario listed above), so you pay up front once the order window closes and then Spyderco will have the knives built and shipped to Massdrop. This will likely take a few months (these knives are predicted to ship at the end of October).
-Kyle

Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

jabba359 wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:40 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:32 pm
They have a couple ways they do things. On pre-existing items, they list it up and people can buy in (often with price drops when certain quantities are reached). Once the order window closes, you're charged and they then ship the items right away.

Many items are Massdrop exclusives, where they take pre-orders for an item that they've negotiated to be built by the OEM. Once that window closes, Massdrop will submit the order to the manufacturer, who then produces the required quantity of the item. Once the item is manufactured, Massdrop receives them and then ships it to you.

In the case of this knife, Massdrop is basically selling pre-orders for these knives (the second scenario listed above), so you pay up front once the order window closes and then Spyderco will have the knives built and shipped to Massdrop. This will likely take a few months (these knives are predicted to ship at the end of October).
Right on thanks brother
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I hope this is not a MD exclusive.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I'm signed up for both. This should be a great variant. I like the gold lockbar. Touches like that and attention to detail are yet another reason I still buy Spyderco. Thanks Sal & crew
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
attila

Post by attila »

My only wish would be to NOT use SUS410 cladding because it gets scratched if you look at it sideways. My HAP40 Endura has plenty of scratches in the 410, and I don't mind it too much, but it'd be nice to not have them. The scratches on my Caly 3, however, clash with the polished smoothness of all the other metal bits.

Either unclad or clad with a harder stainless (420 or higher) would be nice.

Also, is SG2 a properly stainless steel, or is it just mostly stainless like ZDP?
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

attila wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:21 pm
My only wish would be to NOT use SUS410 cladding because it gets scratched if you look at it sideways. My HAP40 Endura has plenty of scratches in the 410, and I don't mind it too much, but it'd be nice to not have them. The scratches on my Caly 3, however, clash with the polished smoothness of all the other metal bits.

Either unclad or clad with a harder stainless (420 or higher) would be nice.

Also, is SG2 a properly stainless steel, or is it just mostly stainless like ZDP?
If I remember correctly, it is over 13% Chromium so I would say fairly stainless.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

xceptnl wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:05 pm
I'm signed up for both. This should be a great variant. I like the gold lockbar. Touches like that and attention to detail are yet another reason I still buy Spyderco. Thanks Sal & crew
I assume by "signed up" you mean you requested to be notified when the drop is live?

I definitely don't need another Delica and I'm not really thrilled about the black handle or gold lock bar. That said, I don't think I can pass on the chance to try Super Gold. I'm in for a Delica. Maybe I'll have Boomer make me another set of Lil Para scales for it.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

A nice surprise. That lock bar is a pretty unique touch! I can always use another Delica, but I've enacted a pretty strict moratorium on black handles. I'm gonna watch from the sidelines on this one. I'm really interested to see what everyone has to say about the steel!
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Can someone post previous examples please
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.