supergold2 confirmation?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearfacedkiller

Re: supergold2 confirmation?

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am not very enthused about the black frn or the gold lock bar. Just not my style and from an aesthetic point of view I could easily pass on this one. However, the steel junkie within is gonna have a hard time passing on a chance at a SG2 Delica so I am in. I would like a Stretch as well.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
mattman

Post by mattman »

500Nitro wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:44 pm
Can someone post previous examples please
Previous examples of what?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

PayneTrain wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:49 pm
A nice surprise. That lock bar is a pretty unique touch! I can always use another Delica, but I've enacted a pretty strict moratorium on black handles. I'm gonna watch from the sidelines on this one. I'm really interested to see what everyone has to say about the steel!
Lucky for you, they make aftermarket replacements. I just installed some Aramis custom G-10 scales on my new Matriarch 2. They change the entire feel of the knife.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
timlara

Post by timlara »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:46 pm
I am not very enthused about the black frn or the gold lock bar. Just not my style and from an aesthetic point of view I could easily pass on this one. However, the steel junkie within is gonna have a hard time passing on a chance at a SG2 Delica so I am in. I would like a Stretch as well.
Yeah, that was my exact logic as well...lol. I dunno, I don't really have the budget for it right now, but I'm very curious about the steel. The good thing about Massdrop, as opposed to most of the usual dealer exclusives is that they tend to re-run successful drops multiple times if there's enough demand. So even though it says they're only making 1000 pieces, I suspect if it sells out in a day or two, they'll do another run down the road.
Tim
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

mattman wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:09 pm
500Nitro wrote:
Examples of Spyderco knives with gold etc on them like being discussed here.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Donut

Post by Donut »

To me, it sounds weird that it has a gold coated lock bar. How long is that going to last before it comes off?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
archangel

Post by archangel »

It‘s Supergold cladded in SUS410, by the way.

I‘m so in for an Endura. :)

I haven't yet purchased anything there. Q: how and when do they charge your CC? Is there a deposit upfront? Or do they take all the bucks immediately?

Edit: already 735 users are on their notification list. :eek: Hope there's still a chance.........
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

500Nitro wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:42 pm
mattman wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:09 pm
500Nitro wrote:
Examples of Spyderco knives with gold etc on them like being discussed here.
The only other gold Spyderco I can think of at the moment is the C35 Q Blade Magazine version they made for Spyderco employees, which had all the metal parts anodized (or plated) gold.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php?tit ... _Gold2.JPG
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

archangel wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:56 pm
It‘s Supergold cladded in SUS410, by the way.

I‘m so in for an Endura. :)

I haven't yet purchased anything there. Q: how and when do they charge your CC? Is there a deposit upfront? Or do they take all the bucks immediately?

Edit: already 735 users are on their notification list. :eek: Hope there's still a chance.........
741 ;) The Delica has 2143
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

archangel wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:56 pm
From their Help Center:
Massdrop wrote:When a drop ends, we collect payment from all of the drop participants and place a single order with the vendor. The vendor then prepares the order and ships it to us through a freight service. Once we receive the shipment at our warehouse, we break down the crates of products, repackage everything, and ship out everyone’s individual orders.
This is how it's worked on everything I've purchased through them (admittedly, only a couple items). Once the drop (ordering window) closes, they charge you in full. Most of my items have only taken a month or so to complete since they were factory production specs (and not custom orders) and were therefore either already in production or going into production. Since these knives are custom to Massdrop, they will take a bit longer since Spyderco will need to put the order in to get them produced, get them into the production schedule, build them, run them through QC, and deliver them to Massdrop before they can then be shipped to the end users. Massdrop is currently estimating Oct. 31 for the ship date, so you'd end up paying in full sometime in April (or early May, depending on when the drop ends), but probably won't receive your knife until Oct. or Nov. if everything goes according to plan.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
archangel

Post by archangel »

Thanks a bunch for the info, Kyle. Obviously, that is my last favorite charging strategy. Oh well, but the number of prelistings it's more of a lottery to get one anyway...
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

500Nitro wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:17 pm
What is a 'supergold' ?
SG and the newer SG2 are upper level knife steels (as you’d probably guessed) Not going to win any “best X” categories (most stainless, hardest, toughest etc) but a nice all round steel that makes a good knife blade. Maybe 1/2 step up from VG10 in the same general character. If memory serves, it was one of the earlier PM steels (but don’t quote me on that - old brain cells aren’t too reliable ;) ) Mostly, it seems, you see it in kitchen knives, much like VG10. Shun used it years ago and I have a couple of those. They’ve done quite well for me. It’s a good steel worth owning.

Ken
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I'm trying to decide how bad I want to try SG2. The MD Delica is $120. I'm not complaining but it seems kinda pricey to me considering. Even so I was in for one until I read Ken's description. Then I started comparing the composition with other steels and reading what others have to say about it. It seems like SG2 falls somewhere in between VG10 and S30V. Am I correct there? That wouldn't be a bad thing since I enjoy using both those steels and they suit my needs well. I looked at my spreadsheet tonight and was surprised that I have knives with 24 different steels. 15 of those are classified as stainless and a couple I consider to be semi-stainless. My issue is I'm splitting hairs with some of this stuff (no pun intended :D ). I like the Japanese steels and I'd love to try another (looking forward to V-Toku) but I'm not sure this one will be worth the price of admission. If it truly is just a half step above VG10 I'm not sure I can justify this one. Somebody please sell me on why I need some SG2 in my life.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
plow_2

Post by plow_2 »

I have a fallkniven U2 in SG2 (SGPS is what fallkniven calls it) and it's superb steel. That knife runs $90 and isn't as nice as a delica. There's a youtube video of SG2 cutting test and it outperforms almost everything else the gentleman tested. (cedric and ada channel). A delica in SG2 is gonna be phenomenal.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:59 pm
...Then I started comparing the composition with other steels and reading what others have to say about it. It seems like SG2 falls somewhere in between VG10 and S30V. Am I correct there? That wouldn't be a bad thing since I enjoy using both those steels and they suit my needs well. ... Somebody please sell me on why I need some SG2 in my life.
I think that’s a pretty fair comparison although in my usage it “feels” more like VG10 (edgewise)

Like I said, it’s a good steel, worth owning. I don’t think you’d regret buying one. I’d be tempted but I can’t get this K390 Urban out of my pocket ;)

Ken
linuxology

Post by linuxology »

wish it was a different color and very suspect about the gold lockbar
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

I just say this Delica supergold on massdrops web site

Some nice photos in the set of 12

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x ... super-gold
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

linuxology wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:45 pm
...and very suspect about the gold lockbar
It's definitely not 14 karat!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
rivy

Post by rivy »

I have a feeling this will sell out pretty quick. I don’t think I want to wake up before 6am though to try and get one. Especially at the $120 price for a delica.
I like the idea of the gold lock bar, but I also wish the handles were a different color than black. In retrospect this also makes the KC exclusive Pakkawood/hap40 series seem like a fair price as well.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I was tempted, but not enough to order one. I was interested in the steel, but the standard black FRN just didn't get my interest.