Info about Spyderco Wayne Goddard Jr. #C18PS

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Deacon

Re: Info about Spyderco Wayne Goddard Jr. #C18PS

Post by The Deacon »

foofie wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:30 pm
As I look at my own photo - not sure why my box says C18PS, when it is a plain edge and should say C18P? Quirky.

Definitely Quirky. It appears someone took the label from an older, solid color "flap end" box and attached it to a printed white tray box. The way the label wraps around the tray is the clue to that. The older flap end boxes had long narrow labels that ran down the side of the box. The tray boxes have shorter, wider, labels that fit on the end of the box. So, while your knife came in box, it's not the box it originally shipped in, or even a box labeled with the label from the original box.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
foofie

Post by foofie »

Peter1960 wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:05 am
Aren't a small number of Goddard Jr. in plain edge only avalable by Mrs. Goddard and not over the usual distribution channels? Maybe that is the reason why we don't see old boxes marked with PE.
Yes - this reminded me of an older thread:viewtopic.php?f=2&t=75077
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:18 am
Peter1960 wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:05 am
Aren't a small number of Goddard Jr. in plain edge only avalable by Mrs. Goddard and not over the usual distribution channels? Maybe that is the reason why we don't see old boxes marked with PE.
^^That, or at some point in time the box got swapped with one for a white handled Jr that (to my knowledge) only came in PS
Larry, You are right, white micarta handled Goddard Jr (a Sprint Run) was only available in PS. Just for clarification and to my best knowledge, between original C18PS, S or the small number of P (edge variations during 1992-98) and 18WMPS (in 2008) were 10 years difference, that's a lot of time for any person to swap or manipulate packaging, wittingly or not.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
redhawk44357

Post by redhawk44357 »

SpyderScout wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:15 am
Here is my Goddard;

Cant help you re box and paperwork.
Im not a collctor and could not care less about boxes for my knives (they are just clutter IMO) - if it did come in a box, I might have thrown it and the paperwork out.
Not sure though - might be stashed in a cupboard somewhere.
Similar to mine except that mine came with Wayne Goddard engraved on the blade, like signature.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I think your box is from the Burgundy model. At first I was thinking BRG stood for British Racing Green, but I have a Burgundy Goddard, I don't think a British Racing Green one was ever made.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Yes it is, BRG is the code for burgundy, GRE stands for British racing green and GR stands for green.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I’m nearly positive I have the original box for mine. I’m away for a couple more days but will check when I get home. :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Aside from not including the PS grey Sprint Run C16 FRN Goddard, the rest can be seen below...

Click on any image below to see a larger version

C20 Baby Goddards, Burgundy Sprint and Original...

C18 Goddard Jrs., Original and White Sprint...

Image Image Image Image

C16 Micarta Goddards...

Image Image

C16 FRN Goddards, Original Black and Grey, Burgundy, and Olive Sprints. Only one missing is PS Grey...

Image Image Image Image
Paul
elqfaltaba

Post by elqfaltaba »

Spectacular, fantastic, what a wonder to see all those Goddard together, thanks for showing them Paul.

J.F.
RadioactiveSpyder

My C16PS box - I believe it is an original. Mine did not come with any paperwork sadly :(.

I once had all the FRN and Micarta versions, but have kept only the Micarta ones (I have a lovely collection of Micarta-handled Spydies). My white Micarta Goddard Jr. has a current red and black box signed by Wayne Goddard in 2013. :)

Edited to add: I found my C18PS as well after some digging in my closet. Sadly it didn’t come in an original box, but a red and black one that someone wrote “Goddard Jr.” across. :D Sorry I couldn’t be of any more assistance than that. Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
elqfaltaba

Post by elqfaltaba »

Thanks RadioactiveSpyder, those pictures of the white box with the blue letters and the golden bug with its label C16PS WAYNE GODDARD is also very enlightening, I imagine that since the original Goddards with micarta scales were in production and sale from 1992 to 1998, their boxes have been changing over time.

My C18PS incorporates the G-2 steel, so I imagine that it will be of more recent manufacture than the steel G-1, and therefore its box will also be the most current of those that you have shown me.

The micarta scales are very beautiful to see and to touch, a pity that Spydeco folding knives with this material are practically not made at the moment.

Thanks again.

J.F.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

elqfaltaba wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:17 am
Thanks RadioactiveSpyder, those pictures of the white box with the blue letters and the golden bug with its label C16PS WAYNE GODDARD is also very enlightening, I imagine that since the original Goddards with micarta scales were in production and sale from 1992 to 1998, their boxes have been changing over time.

My C18PS incorporates the G-2 steel, so I imagine that it will be of more recent manufacture than the steel G-1, and therefore its box will also be the most current of those that you have shown me.

The micarta scales are very beautiful to the eyes and to the touch, a pity that Spydeco folding knives with this material are practically not made at the moment.

Thanks again.

J.F.

FWIW, Spyderco started using GIN-1 and AUS-8 steels back in the early 80's but, up until around 1992, there was no easy way of telling which steel was in which knife, since the blades carried no steel markings. When they decided to mark the steel on the blade, they called GIN-1 G-2 (which Sal has said stands for the "Good Sh*t") because another company thought they had exclusive use of GIN-1. G-2 and GIN-1 are the exact same steel, and any Spydercos of any given model marked G-2 were produced earlier than those of that same model marked GIN-1. So your knife would be older than his. It was probably made somewhere between '92, which is when the Goddard Jr. first came out, and '94-'95 when they started labeling GIN-1 as GIN-1. AFAIK, the printed white "tray" boxes didn't come out until around '98 or '99, so I doubt that would be the correct box for your knife. A plain black or plain white "flap end" box, like those in the photo below, would be the most likely, assuming it did not come in a pouch. I'm not sure if those two colors were used concurrently or consecutively, so one, the other, or either might be correct. Some questions about 20+ year old knives can't be answered definitively. Note that the black box is from a C16 Goddard Lightweight and carries a 9/97 date code.

older_spyderco_boxes.jpg
The attachment older_spyderco_boxes.jpg is no longer available
Paul
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Having looked in my drawer i am now fairly certain my black plain edge Goddard Jr came in a pouch, since it is the only box/pouch that couldn't be matched to any other knife..
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

man these are beautiful
Thanks all for the pics and info!!
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx Deacon. You are an excellent historian for our company.

Maybe we can commission you to write the Spyderco story II ?

sal
mattman

Post by mattman »

sal wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:06 am
Thanx Deacon. You are an excellent historian for our company.

Maybe we can commission you to write the Spyderco story II ?

sal
I think Deacon would be great for this task!
He is a wealth of knowledge, with a clear passion for all things Spyderco!

Please consider it, sir!
elqfaltaba

Post by elqfaltaba »

Thanks again Paul, every day I discover here new information about the history of Spyderco, boxes, steels, curiosities like "Good Sh * t" / G2 ... I asked for information about the box of my C18PS and I discovered many more data, like a more precise date within the production period of the model.

Of course, as sal says, you would be the right person to write the History of Spyderco II, without any doubt. I discovered Spydero later and I missed the origins of this exciting company, being able to know all these details is something that fills me with satisfaction, gives sense and perspective to the hobby of looking for and getting some of those historical models that have been building the evolution from its beginning to the present.

For all this, I thank you again for all the effort and time you have devoted to clarifying my doubts and getting me out of my ignorance.

Thanks also to Larry_Mot and to all the other participants that I mentioned earlier and who have enriched this post with your participation.

Hugs and greetings.

Jorge Fanjul.
RadioactiveSpyder

Both my C16PS and C18PS are Gin-1, interesting! :)

elqfaltaba

Post by elqfaltaba »

RadioactiveSpyder, a nice pair!