Manbug and the Starling 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
40mm

Manbug and the Starling 2

Post by 40mm »

Anyone have experience with these two knives? Look for pros and cons of the Starling 2 vs the Manbug. Anyone actually prefer the Starling over the Manbug? If I’m not mistaken both are Sal designs correct?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Manbug and the Starling 2

Post by Doc Dan »

I do not have the Starling 2. I do have a couple of Manbugs. The Manbugs have higher grade steels in them. With the Byrd you get Chinese 8Cr. The Manbug gives you VG-10, ZDP-189, Super Blue, HAP-40, H1, and probably some I am forgetting. Of course there is a huge price difference, too.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Starling 2 uses CTS-BD1.
I have one. It's pretty well made although mine came with a bit of side to side play. I hammered on the rivet to tighten up the action.
Prior to the Starling I had the Finch 2 which was such poor quality that I immediately gave it to a stranger (to whom I sold another knife).
I once gifted a Manbug and I was impressed by the ergos compared to the Ladybug. Much better grip.
40mm

Post by 40mm »

Oops just watched a video review. Didn’t realize the starling is based off the ladybug not the Manbug. Itching to get another mini spydie or perhaps try the Byrd. Blade shape on the starling is great looking and most seem to say they’ve shown up well put together. Had a few Manbugs but never a ladybug so unsure of the handle size as well. Manbug with choil in Bd1 would be sweet.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Necro bump, but wondering if anyone else has feedback on the Starling 2 in general or vs. the Spyderco keychain knives? The g10 scales and BD1 steel look attractive to me in a tiny knife, plus it has a nice blade shape.

The g10 Jester has me wanting another LBK in g10. If there was a g10 Ladybug I'd buy that, but no dice sadly. Also wasn't a big fan of the bolsters on the g10 Manbug a while back, so I never picked one up.
:spyder:
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Nate wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:07 am
Necro bump, but wondering if anyone else has feedback on the Starling 2 in general or vs. the Spyderco keychain knives? The g10 scales and BD1 steel look attractive to me in a tiny knife, plus it has a nice blade shape.

The g10 Jester has me wanting another LBK in g10. If there was a g10 Ladybug I'd buy that, but no dice sadly. Also wasn't a big fan of the bolsters on the g10 Manbug a while back, so I never picked one up.
While I don't have feedback for you on the Starling 2, I will say that very few people tend to regret their Byrd knife purchases. You get Spyderco designs at a lower price point, albeit with a little less polish on the fit & finish and lower-grade steel.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Nate wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:07 am

It's a nice knife, I pestered for them to do an update on the Starling 1. Sal carries one regularly.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=69181&p=1071445&hi ... 2#p1071445
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
sal

Post by sal »

The Starling I carry often is the updated version.

sal
Nate

Post by Nate »

Thanks all, I'm in. :)

Have a Meadowlark HB that I like a lot, but only started getting into the sub-2" blades recently and didn't know this was out there until a few days ago.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Sweet!

Think I'm officially hooked now. :)

The Starling is really nice for the price. The f&f isn't quite as good as the Jester, but I didn't expect it to be.

Manbug Salt will remain on my keys. The HB and Starling will get fobs and go into pocket carry rotation with the Jester.