2018 Alistair Phillips!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Spydersense

Re: 2018 Alistair Phillips!

Post by Spydersense »

Fondled this knife today at the Oregon Knife Show. Lightweight, balanced, refined and gorgeous. Amazing!
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

I would be love to see a high carbon steel as well. I will get one either way. I just hope it hits stores this year.
al1 wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:57 pm

I know this is designed as food prep folder, I would be interested to see it in M4.
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

My co-worker is starting to get into nicer knives and is currently hung up on autos. So far, while he's appreciated the quality of all the Spyderco's I've brought him, non have really grabbed his full attention.

I showed him this thread today and he was dang near drooling on my shoulder as he looked over it!!! He was very into it, calling it gorgeous and excitedly asking when it was coming out.

:)
SG89

Post by SG89 »

been a fan of this designer since he first posted a slip joint prototype with green g10 handles a few years ago. always wondered when we would see his designs be released. glad to see this Redback design. very nice, can't wait to get one.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Uh hum...What's that? What am I...? Oh nothing, just... Well...ya know...

:p
sal

Post by sal »

It's getting closer.

sal
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

A bombshell to me. Thought it would be a year or so out. Great news.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Nice!

-Matt
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Nice!!
Josh
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

sal wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 7:45 am
It's getting closer.

sal
Thank you.

As always, I want more knives than is practical or affordable, so I've focused on two this year. One is a kitchen knife and this one. I could've bought the kitchen knife months ago but I've been holding out for this beauty.
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

double post
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
BravoTango

Post by BravoTango »

Knifewing wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:17 pm
I'd like to echo MichaelScott's post. I, too, was totally ready to immediately buy a Phillips Redback until I got to the specs in Mr. Blonde's much anticipated Amsterdam Show post. I live in CA (Los Angeles) where the folder carry limit is 3". How disappointed am I? This Phillips has everything I look for in an EDC folder--sleek, slim, and sexy. Please, Sal, consider producing an exact downsized "Phillips Jr" for those of us who really want this knife but can't buy it--at least not for carry and use outside the house.
there is a plethora of 3" and under knives - Spyderco specifically, caters very well to this demographic, I'm personally tired of the overall trend toward smaller knives while the selection of larger knives is sparse. I'm passing on the Smock and the the Brouwer because they're too small. 2XL glove size means 3" and sub 3" blades are typically a 3 finger grip. The Redback and the Amalgam are the only Spyderco's im really considering in 2018, I really like the Redback, if the retail price isn't insane, I'll definitely buy one.

Maybe consider moving out of liberal snowflake ****, and into the free world. :D
:spyder: Ben,

The North Remembers.

Has (Always in flux): Shaman, Chef, Techno, M390 Para 3, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 M4. Manix 2 XL, Blue Weave Domino, CF Chaparral, Vtoku2 Endura 4, D-Fly Salt Hawk SE.[/s].

Wants: Manix 2 XL CPM-M4 or 4V, Compression Lock, Tip-up Military, Yojimbo 2 XL.
rivy

Post by rivy »

BravoTango wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 12:16 pm
Knifewing wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:17 pm
I'd like to echo MichaelScott's post. I, too, was totally ready to immediately buy a Phillips Redback until I got to the specs in Mr. Blonde's much anticipated Amsterdam Show post. I live in CA (Los Angeles) where the folder carry limit is 3". How disappointed am I? This Phillips has everything I look for in an EDC folder--sleek, slim, and sexy. Please, Sal, consider producing an exact downsized "Phillips Jr" for those of us who really want this knife but can't buy it--at least not for carry and use outside the house.
there is a plethora of 3" and under knives - Spyderco specifically, caters very well to this demographic, I'm personally tired of the overall trend toward smaller knives while the selection of larger knives is sparse. I'm passing on the Smock and the the Brouwer because they're too small. 2XL glove size means 3" and sub 3" blades are typically a 3 finger grip. The Redback and the Amalgam are the only Spyderco's im really considering in 2018, I really like the Redback, if the retail price isn't insane, I'll definitely buy one.

Maybe consider moving out of liberal snowflake ****, and into the free world. :D
I live in San Diego and we can carry whatever folding knife we want with the only exception being automatics. CA sucks for guns but until recently we had better knife laws as a state than Texas did. Lol.
Tenebrae

Post by Tenebrae »

I'm on hype train with you, guys :)
This knife, apparently, got all i need for edc right now. Hopefully it will be released soon
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

And now we know it's name will be Kapara.

-Matt
Cubane

Post by Cubane »

Thanks for starting the separate thread for my knife model. It is great to see it in the catalog.. Been so many messages on Facebook and Instagram that I have only just had the chance to start checking the forums. Spyderco really have done a fantastic job on bringing the knife into production. The samples I checked out were spot on.

In Aussie slang .. We have a corker on our hands :D
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Cubane wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 5:57 am
Thanks for starting the separate thread for my knife model. It is great to see it in the catalog.. Been so many messages on Facebook and Instagram that I have only just had the chance to start checking the forums. Spyderco really have done a fantastic job on bringing the knife into production. The samples I checked out were spot on.

In Aussie slang .. We have a corker on our hands :D
Thank you for the design! This looks to be a great and practical knife!
Tenebrae

Post by Tenebrae »

Just preordered it. By the way, "Kapara" - is it local name of redback spider?
Cubane

Post by Cubane »

Tenebrae wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:22 am
Awesome I hope you enjoy it. Yeah Kapara Spider is a common name for the redback
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Cubane wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:37 am
Tenebrae wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:22 am
Awesome I hope you enjoy it. Yeah Kapara Spider is a common name for the redback
sweet, so in a way it is the Spyderco Redback anyway :spyder:
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!