Which Models to Purchase for Value Increase?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Accutronman

Which Models to Purchase for Value Increase?

Post by Accutronman »

I’ll start this query off by saying that people collect for a variety of motivations of which all reasons are valid. For myself, I’m always looking to collect those models that may give me the greatest price appreciation in the future if I decide to re-sell. For example, the Slysz Bowie is a model whose secondary market value has appreciated greatly since being discontinued.

I’m interested in hearing what discontinued/current models you believe may increase in value in the future that you would purchase now. Thanks in advance for the input.
The Meat man

Re: Which Models to Purchase for Value Increase?

Post by The Meat man »

Sprint runs are probably a good bet.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

First off, i am a collector, with just a handful of knives in actual EDC rotation. That said, i don't really care that much about value. If i like and want a Spyderco i buy it. If it keeps its value or increase it will be nice, but it is in no way a prerequisite for me. I don't plan to sell my collection anytime soon, and when/if i do i am quite certain i will more or less get my money back, which is fine by me.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Like many things there isn’t a prescribed set of characteristics to buy then turn a profit on.
There are many more lucrative things to invest in.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Limited production, the right combination of popular steels and handle materials on a popular model, and most importantly the right amount of hype and maybe one getting sold for a ridiculous price on eBay. There have been some late bloomers like the Captain that nobody wanted intil the couldn't get them anymore.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

Rare Spydercos are the most valuable, usually. So like Meat Man said, sprint runs and dealer exclusives seem to be the best bet for you. Some models that were regular production also command a premium. It's kind of a crap shoot to know what will be popular again. The Jester comes to mind...
-Brian

Son's Collection: H1 Rescue Manbug, Tenacious

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

The Meat man wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:06 pm
Sprint runs are probably a good bet.
I don’t think so. While it’s conceivable 10 or 20 years from now someone may be trying to collect every possible PM2 version it’s a lot more likely they will be after models that didn’t see much production. And the fashionable steel today is tomorrow’s boring production default. I think anything that is discontinued quickly is a better bet.

However, it’s also possible that the sheer volume of Spyderco knives in the future drive prices down.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Sprints, Exclusives, and collaboration models all have a better than average chance of going up in value over the years. Still, to expand on daveho's comment, production knives in general are rather poor investment vehicles.

You have to hope to get perfect specimens, in perfect boxes - the further above original street price a knife goes, the fussier collectors interested in it become. You have to keep both the knives and their packaging in pristine condition - using one will decrease its value by up to 50%. You have to pray nobody in China produces a counterfeit so close that folks become fearful of getting stung and avoid it like the plague. And, finally you have to hope that at least a few of those you chose are among the small percentage that actually show a significant increase in price in order to at least negate the loss you'll take on the rest.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:16 pm
First off, i am a collector, with just a handful of knives in actual EDC rotation. That said, i don't really care that much about value. If i like and want a Spyderco i buy it. If it keeps its value or increase it will be nice, but it is in no way a prerequisite for me. I don't plan to sell my collection anytime soon, and when/if i do i am quite certain i will more or less get my money back, which is fine by me.
That's pretty much my approach too. I do have a couple of sprints in my EDC but that's because I have another in the box. I also collect other knives I think will increase or at least hold their value. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

It's tough to predict which models will become sought after.
It's a safe bet that the upcoming BHQ PM2 Jade CPM-M4 DLC will be in high demand (and limited supply).
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I've gifted plenty of knives but never sold one. :)

What has surprised me is how much some of the Mule Team Blades are going for. I bought two Maxamets because it was better value than paying shipping just for one and if E bay prices are any indication the one still in the box has appreciate 300% or more. :cool:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
ucfgrad93

Post by ucfgrad93 »

I'd say sprint runs or exclusives.
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

After the standard caveat of saying knives are a bad way to save for retirement, I would say look for much anticipated models that were cut due to poor sales and ones that are lower volumes that maybe a collector might pay a ridiculous price for, in the future, to complete a set. Also expensive things that people lust for but can't afford, are sometimes worth ridiculous amounts later when there are few of the items left and the people that once lusted for them are now much more wealthy.

My crystal ball says the following models are expected to be potentially be worth alot more in the future.
Spyderco Farid K2 (first use of 10V steel in a spyderco)
Spyderco Air
Spyderco Sage 4 (pulled due to poor sales, limited production, any collector of the sage series will need one to make their collection complete)
Spyderco Tuff (very highly anticipated but then many were turned off by price and final design, I think this one has a high regret factor for people that didn't get one.)
Spyderco Nirvana (I think many people like me wanted one but just couldn't justify the expense.)
Spyderco Slyz Bowie (I am still wishing I got one, unless spyderco re-releases this one, I expect it to continue to go up in price.)

Personally I would shy away from sprints, they have and will probably continue to sometimes command alot on ebay right after they are sold out, but I think the prices are more of a flash in the pan than long term value. The truly great steels will become commonplace, any company would be crazy to not produce more of what sells well.

After saying all that, you should ignore all advice, plan on never recouping a single cent from your knives, and only buy what you personally like.

Grizz
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

Last year I went a little buy crazy. Got all into the sprints and exclusives, had to have them. But this year I have been selling a few of my safe queens and keeping the ones I want as daily users + practice my sharpening skills on: M4, M390, Superblue, H1, LC200N. Growing tired of looking at them, I want to use them. I paid $220.00 free ship for my PM2 M4 Carbon Fibre perfect example last year. I see them now for $300.00 which is too much. I also wanted the Bento Box Blue PM2 M390, but $300.00 was too much. I was patient and snagged a Red PM2 M390 for $150.00. Now they are going for $300.00 which in my opinion is too much. Similar to Real Estate, what a buyer is willing to pay is not always market value and or reality. With that said, I think the current Pac Salt Serrated H1 is a steal at under $70.00 if you can find it for that price as well as the upcoming Calypso Jr. Sprint Superblue at $77.00.
-C
Last edited by Calicoast on Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fredswartz

Post by fredswartz »

Some models that I have which have increased in value:

Leafstorm
Captain
Phoenix
Adventura
Volpe
Lava
Scorpius
Poliwog
Junior
T-mag
Balance
All Calypso Jr.’s
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

Buy a bunch of PM2s (or any other locking, now customs restricted model), get them into Canada somehow and wait for a year .......

On a serious note, personally, I'd stay away from sprints and exclusives as I suspect that there are a pile of people already in that game. Try and get the really unusual models and be prepared to wait for a few years ... as others have said, there are better ways of making money. As soon as you factor in opportunity cost, I doubt you really make money buying and holding knives for resale if you balance out the winners and the losers. It might be an extension of your knife hobby but it won't be a stand alone business.