Is an Off-center Blade Really a Big Deal?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dreadpirate

Is an Off-center Blade Really a Big Deal?

Post by dreadpirate »

Out of all the Spyderco knives I own, there is only one that is REALLY off-center. I just got a used Military (but it is like new) and it operates smoothly. I just noticed that it is really off-center. There's daylight between the blade and the handle, but not much!

That being said, if the knife functions smoothly, why bother messing with it? I would just assume leave it alone. Is there some long-term negative effect or other reason I should fix it? Just wondering and thought I'd ask the experts.
MichaelScott

Re: Is an Off-center Blade Really a Big Deal?

Post by MichaelScott »

I’m no expert but if that was my Military I would send it to Spyderco for a tune up and blade fix. It will come back centered, smooth and sharp. Bonus: I wouldn’t be nagged by a seriously off center blade.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Only if it seriously impairs function or durability. If you can't open/close it because it is hitting the scales, or if the blade is actually warped, and so does not cut predictably, that would be a problem. In the open position is the blade properly positioned relative to the handle and especially the locking mechanism? If that is all ok and it opens and closes ok, and the detent still does what the detent is supposed to do (blade does not open unintentionally too readily when it is in the closed position), it is most likely ok.
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

I look at the 'off center blade issue' as a symptom of the internet. It is a problem that is only evident because the internet tells us it is a problem, but doesn't impact the functionality of a knife. I am lucky enough to have some of my grandfather's knives. The ones he used for years and years. Upon inspection, I can see that none of Grandpa's knives have perfectly centered blades. If it opens and closes without rubbing, there is not any problem.

Being educated about knives through the internet by obsessive compulsive collectors rather than by fathers or grandfathers that actually use knives is the biggest problem.

Grizz
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Unless the blade is hitting the liners, an off-center blade is completely cosmetic and does not affect function.
On a custom knife, where I'm paying for the maker's individual attention to detail, it matters. On a production knife, it does not. My opinion, others may disagree, but I don't even check on my Spydies.

I would also note that on a liner lock, like the Military, the liner pushes against the blade in the closed position and can move it off of center.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I don’t agree that blade centering is primarily a meaningless internet phenomenon. On a production knife I would not expect perfection, but in a high quality production knife I would expect something close. An uncentered blade, especially one seriously so, indicates that something is off kilter. Might not impact operation yet but it is a sign that the components are no longer symmetrical. In a Spyderco that, to me, indicates something isn’t right.

That’s my opinion and yours may certainly differ.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
vivi

Post by vivi »

It's never bothered me. I notice it, but it's never been a problem. Knife still works, that's all I really care about.
:unicorn
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

It matters to me, but so do aesthetics and symmetry generally.
attila

Post by attila »

Off-center blades are indicative of something being less than perfectly flat or out of square. It's not the end of the world, but if it's enough to notice every time I open my expensive knife, I won't enjoy it nearly as much as if it were perfect.

For example, my H1 DF2 is grossly not centered, a hair's breadth from touching the handle material. It's a fully functional knife, but I don't enjoy its gross lack of perfection. Comparing it to my ZDP DF2, which is almost perfectly centered, I much prefer the ZDP DF2, not for the steel, but for the better centering. Of course, I didn't return the H1 DF2, but it's going to get relegated to my tackle box instead of being a daily companion.

When it comes to >$100 blades, centering becomes even more of a nuisance, since each blade I get is the only example of the model, so I want it as perfect as practicable.

If it doesn't bother you, you're luckier than me.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If it doesn't effect function then roll with it. Personally it annoys the crap out of me, I have an eye for this sort of thing and once I see it I can't unsee it. Fortunately I've had good luck getting rid of all but the worst cases.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Like Molle Ninja and D it annoys me no end but thankfully it’s a very easy fIx.

I’ve found I can center the blade so it’s spot on but after I’ve used/carried the knife (always in back pocket) and maybe sat on it a few time (?) it moves again only ever so slightly and seems to settle.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Depends on how much. If it’s a used knife or a budget knife I don’t worry about it. A new knife... send it back.
anycal

Post by anycal »

Blade centering is not an issue for me... as long as I can fix it.

So far, I have been able to fix all my knives, which have had less than perfect centering. Which makes me think, if I can center it, why can't it come that way from factory? Cost, I guess.

Again, no big deal. But if I can fix it, why wouldn't I? I like perfection. That's why I love screwed (vs pinned) construction of Spyderco knives.
Peter
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Blade centering is a non issue for me. If it doesn't effect function, I'll ignore it.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

For me it depends upon the knife. If it's a relatively inexpensive knife, off centering is no big deal. For higher priced knives one should expect the blade to be centered. Particularly if it is one that might be considered collectable. The higher the price, the more near perfect the knife should be (including blade centering).
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Went decades without noticing, till I read about it on the internet.
Off center blades cause no mental issues with me.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

They drive me crazy just because I’m anal, but they don’t really matter as long as they are not rubbing the liners, or causing problems.
Josh
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

For me it depends upon the type of knife, which has nothing to do with the price. I've 2 off- center spydercos: the police 4 and the Manix 2 s110v. The police 4 is a user and somewhat an abuser. With the tough and retentive k390 is slash through cardboard and fibers with it daily. It also isn't a looker. That one i don't care that it is off center. The blurple manix annoys me. I collect the blue s110v spydies and i like them in tip-top form; if i cared less i would buy the standard versions. I dont care enough to send it back but eh.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

It should be centred, dosnt have to be perfect but it should be close.
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

It doesn't bother me personally, I tend to be rough with my knife anyway, but I can understand it can bother people. There are really no reasons to buy 50$+ knife, we're doing it because we're knife enthousiasts.