Little Spydies

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MichaelScott

Little Spydies

Post by MichaelScott »

What is it with little knives? I realize that for many uses, larger knives, even fixed blades, are the way to go. I have a PM 2 on the way and figure I’ll get a good deal of use with it, and it’s an iconic Spyderco design, but in the main, I prefer smaller knives. I carried a Buck Ranger (112) in preference to the larger 110 for years. Worked fine. Never wished I had the larger one. Being older and more sedentary these days makes the need for larger knives moot, and if I do need one, I can usually find something for that infrequent task.

I suspect most of us, due to age, occupation or what our daily lives are like, don’t need anything much larger than a Delica. The Dragonfly or Chaparral seems to be the best sized, all around daily use knife for most everyone. I will certainly carry my PM 2 now and then just because I like it, but in the end, I really like the small designs, especially the newer ones that Spyderco is releasing: the Techno 2, Lil’ Native, Lil’ Lum, etc. I don’t need another little knife but some day I will likely get one or two more just because.

If you also favor the little Sypdies, let me know what you like an why you like it.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Sharp Guy

Re: Little Spydies

Post by Sharp Guy »

Awhile ago I determined that knives with 3" blades are optimal for me for general carry. I do carry knives that are a little bigger quite often (PM2, Sliverax, Manix 2, GB, etc). If I'm being honest, I could get through life just fine with a small knife. In fact I did for many years. Lately, when I decide to go small I grab a Dragonfly, Urban, or Chaparral.

Regardless of what primary knife I have on me, I almost always have a Manbug in my pocket. They're actually my most used knives.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Donut

Post by Donut »

I like the Manix 2, so I like sticking with that. I don't need anything bigger than a Native or a Dragonfly (both about the same edge length).

There is that little voice in the back of my head thinking, "what if I need that extra length?" The example that I can think of is cutting an apple, you can use a Delica's blade length for that.

So, I carry a larger knife like a Manix 2 and I carry a smaller knife like a Dragonfly. 99% of my cutting can be done with a dragonfly sized knife.

Man, we need more super steel LBK's! Native 5 S110V is pretty nice and the Dragonfly ZDP is nice, but we need more options. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

I too prefer smaller knives, which is why I just purchased two Delica 4’s, 3” blade being just the right size for me. I suspect that smaller knives yield more profits due solely to legal reasons. That being said, I could carry any size knife I desire without any legal problems at all, but I still chose to EDC smaller knives. Take your pick as to why: For me there’s no task that a smaller blade can’t complete, smaller knives give off a less aggressive perception, smaller equals more comfortable in the pocket and smaller equals less weight which equals more comfortable in the pocket.
Jase

Current:
Para 3 LWT & Delica 4 Damascus KnifeJoy Exclusive

On The Hunt For:
Delica 4 Sprints & Exclusives (Background here...viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85708)

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Small Spydercos are simply cool. I do carry them and use them. The smallest is the Manbug and I prefer the G10 over the FRN, personally. Beautiful knife. I normally have either a Chaparral LW or an Urban LW in my pocket all of the time, except that the last few days I have been rockin' a Cat.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
araneae

Post by araneae »

I get by quite well with a D'fly for most of what I do with a knife. If I work outdoors I'll be taking something bigger, but no one does small knives as good as Spyderco.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

Bloke wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:50 pm
One of these things is not like the others lol...
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

JaseRicco wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:54 pm
Not sure what happened there Jase. :confused:

From memory they all started off about the same size, but I forget to take them out of my pockets sometimes and I think beloved wife may have put some through the wash and shrunk them. :p
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

Bloke wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:04 pm
JaseRicco wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:54 pm
Not sure what happened there Jase. :confused:

From memory they all started off about the same size, but I forget to take them out of my pockets sometimes and I think beloved wife may have put some through the wash and shrunk them. :p
Haha :D
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

For me, a 3" blade takes care of all my EDC needs. (Native 5 and Advocate) I also have a Dfly Salt and I really like it. To be honest, the Dfly could probably cover my needs just as well as my N5 or Advocate, but I just like having that extra bit of length in case I need it.

I've never owned a Military, but they always seemed to be too big and bulky for my taste.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Once out of the pocket a knife has to be pretty big to be too big. I don’t see much benefit of knives being small besides convenience of carry and I guess not scaring people.

You don’t see a lot of sub-3” fixed blades outside the “neck” knife category. There’s a reason.
40mm

Post by 40mm »

I’m the opposite of zhyla and tend to downsize the typical knife size categories. To me, a Delica, Salt 1, or Kabar Dozier is a big knife while a Dragonfly is medium sized and a Manbug small. I don’t NEED one of these larger knives typically and a dragonfly or Manbug would definitely do what I would need a pocket knife for on a day to day basis.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I like your little Spydie collection. Your Military must be that “just in case” knife.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Don’t get me wrong, I love the little ones, and Spyderco is almost the only game in town for little knives. Here’s my little (heh) collection:

knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

3 inches is my preferred and most useful, however most of my knives are around 3.5". While what is big in the market certainly plays a role, I somehow always feel more prepared with an extra .5". However, I always have a backup (usually a traditional like a GEC). Admittingly, I own only 2 small spydies at the moment (baby jess horn and lil native).
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

MichaelScott wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:43 pm
I like your little Spydie collection. Your Military must be that “just in case” knife.
Thanks Michael. :)

I like little knives a lot and I can get by with a little Manbug/Ladybug in an office quite well. They really do punch above their weight and I’ll buy a little VToku2 Manbug as well but the Military is my favourite folding knife. It carries so well and within reason I don’t think there’s anything it doesn’t do better than a small knife. So given a choice I’ll grab a Military (or Stretch) over anything smaller. :rolleyes:
cheeseheaded

Post by cheeseheaded »

I am well into double digits of Spydies in my collection now and the solid majority are 3 inch and under. They make the most sense for my EDC, and I generally rotate carry weekly. Spyderco makes such a wonderful variety in this size, and I love them for it. I have a few 3 inch Benchmades that I rotate in as well, but they just aren't as unique as my Spydies. I love the lil native for the solid hand feel, the chaparral for that gloriously thin slicing blade, and have recently been captivated by serrated hawkbills of the dragonfly and lady bug variety...wicked little cutters they are. Now I am thinking about a Harpy...anyone have one?...thoughts?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

If I'm carrying only one blade, it has to be big enough to slice an apple. Chap is just a touch too small (can work in a pinch). I prefer a blade the size of M2 or PM2 at least.

Dragonfly 2 is still the best little big knife of all time, though. :)
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

My frn Squeak has been used and sharpened nearly to a wharncliffe shape! It's not pretty...

I love my zdp & SB Manbugs for their precision and laser sharpness, my new Roadie for being both laughably people friendly and useful, and my Elmax Urban and Hap40 Dragonfly just seem a little too rare to use much.

But it's the clip and the larger handle of that little Squeak that means it's always clipped into my work jeans ready for use.

To me it's about 80% of the most used portion of the Caly/UKPK/Urban line in less than about 50% of their size (and cost).