Ethnic series - complete listing

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Halfneck

Re: Ethnic series - complete listing

Post by Halfneck »

Forgot about the Kumo.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Awesome thread, bookmarked it!
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
jdw

Post by jdw »

I just wanted to bump this to the top, hoping that we can get some more cool stories from Sal. Thank you, sir!
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Reject

Post by Reject »

Photos moved to the Picture Gallery
Last edited by Reject on Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How much can a Koala bear?
Reject

Post by Reject »

Photos moved to the Picture Gallery
Last edited by Reject on Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

Nice groups, Reject. And you left out plenty of others you've shown before.

BTW Tatanka should get honorable mention by virtue of name origin alone: Lakota Sioux. (I say this with CDIB, ABC. :)

Thanks Sal, for the personal anecdotal histories; looking forward to more.

kind regards,
a n.on
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Beautiful pictures, Reject. Thanks for sharing those.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Excellent selection,
had me drooling over the keyboard :o
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Impressive collection, Reject!
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Reject, Sir you astonish me again and again. Quite impressive for a non US-collector! :cool:
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Reject

Post by Reject »

Thank you Mr Blonde and Peter. :) Time and patience are the key ingredients.

And yes; :p living on the other side of the planet does make it interesting.
mjdragonfly

Post by mjdragonfly »

How about a Spyderco version of this American Classic Skinner, the Schrade Sharpfinger 152OT? A little more length in the handle would be nice as would removable micarta scales and the blade in CTS-204P.
Schrade Sharpfinger 152OT image 2.jpg
Calgary on the Bow
fdahood

Post by fdahood »

jdw wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:26 am
I just wanted to bump this to the top, hoping that we can get some more cool stories from Sal. Thank you, sir!
:D
Crux

Post by Crux »

Para?
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
sal

Post by sal »

I think that first I should say that some of the knives that you/me/we might consider Ethnic series were not designated as such when they were made. Hindsight does indicate that they should be included. Perhaps we can develop a list here. I started one once before but was hijacked.

"Talkin' story" is always fun.

Since the Shabaria just dropped, I'll start there, though many here know the story. Eduard Bradichanski was a Russian immigrant that resettled in Israel. He was a model maker by trade and a custom knife maker as a hobby. He showed me his folding version of the Shabaria, and I had not heard of the knife before. after visiting several museums and seeing some collections, I learned that the Shabaria was a common design in the Jordan valley beginning in 203 AD. In fact, when we introduced the design, many of the knife "experts" had also not heard of the design and some interesting discussions followed. I have one that I brought back and right now it's "lost" in one of the boxes in my office. When Ii find it, I'd like to make a brochure showing the originals and the Spyderco version. Mike began the project years ago, but I couldn't find the originals. :o

Eduard also designed the Original credit card model. He was assassinated in the west bank by Hamas before his models were released. They burned his body and his car and he was identified by the prototypes of the Shabaria and the credit card knife, which he was carrying at the time. He was survived by his wife and 2 sons. We still send royalties to the family when we make a sprint.

sal.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

sal wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:30 pm
I think that first I should say that some of the knives that you/me/we might consider Ethnic series were not designated as such when they were made. Hindsight does indicate that they should be included. Perhaps we can develop a list here. I started one once before but was hijacked.

Since the Shabaria just dropped, I'll start there, though many here know the story. Eduard Bradichanski was a Russian immigrant that resettled in Israel. He was a model maker by trade and a custom knife maker as a hobby. He showed me his folding version of the Shabaria, and I had not heard of the knife before. after visiting several museums and seeing some collections, I learned that the Shabaria was a common design in the Jordan valley beginning in 203 AD. In fact, when we introduced the design, many of the knife "experts" had also not heard of the design and some interesting discussions followed. I have one that I brought back and right now it's "lost" in one of the boxes in my office. When Ii find it, I'd like to make a brochure showing the originals and the Spyderco version. Mike began the project years ago, but I couldn't find the originals. :o

Eduard also designed the Original credit card model. He was assassinated in the west bank by Hamas before his models were released. They burned his body and his car and he was identified by the prototypes of the Shabaria and the credit card knife, which he was carrying at the time. He was survived by his wife and 2 sons. We still send royalties to the family when we make a sprint.

sal.
Thank you for the story Sal.
Chris :spyder:
fdahood

Post by fdahood »

Very excited for the upcoming Shabaria sprint. The ethnic series wasn't really on my radar until a batch of the Hungarian popped up for a really good deal a while back, and now I am hooked on the whole concept.
sal

Post by sal »

The Hungarian was actually conceived of, suggested and created by a forumite, that really did an excellent presentation.

sal
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

What about the LionSpy? I have two of the full sized ones.

I own the Hungarian and it is a beautiful piece of work.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

sal wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:30 pm

sal.
Very touching story and I want to say I really respect that you are doing that for his family. Thank you.