Ethnic series - complete listing

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
curlyhairedboy

Re: Ethnic series - complete listing

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:36 pm
sal wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:30 pm
I think that first I should say that some of the knives that you/me/we might consider Ethnic series were not designated as such when they were made. Hindsight does indicate that they should be included. Perhaps we can develop a list here. I started one once before but was hijacked.

"Talkin' story" is always fun.

Since the Shabaria just dropped, I'll start there, though many here know the story. Eduard Bradichanski was a Russian immigrant that resettled in Israel. He was a model maker by trade and a custom knife maker as a hobby. He showed me his folding version of the Shabaria, and I had not heard of the knife before. after visiting several museums and seeing some collections, I learned that the Shabaria was a common design in the Jordan valley beginning in 203 AD. In fact, when we introduced the design, many of the knife "experts" had also not heard of the design and some interesting discussions followed. I have one that I brought back and right now it's "lost" in one of the boxes in my office. When Ii find it, I'd like to make a brochure showing the originals and the Spyderco version. Mike began the project years ago, but I couldn't find the originals. :o

Eduard also designed the Original credit card model. He was assassinated in the west bank by Hamas before his models were released. They burned his body and his car and he was identified by the prototypes of the Shabaria and the credit card knife, which he was carrying at the time. He was survived by his wife and 2 sons. We still send royalties to the family when we make a sprint.

sal.
Very touching story and I want to say I really respect that you are doing that for his family. Thank you.
Agreed!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
kirill.sergueev

Post by kirill.sergueev »

Just curious what is the longest production run of the ethnic series knifes?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Bump.

Can’t allow this thread to die on the vine, especially as my attention has been drawn in this direction. :p
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

This, along with similar events, is one of the main reasons I continue to support and value Spyderco — an organization full of people with heart and integrity.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
odomandr

Post by odomandr »

seems as though the Ikuchi and the watu need to be added to the list. pattadese too now that its announced..... RamZar has set the bar high for maintaining lists......
"Yeah? Well, you know, thats like uh, your opinion, man" - Lebowski
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

This is such a cool thread, I'm bumping it years later. Wartstein's recent thread about a 300 B.C. knife got me to thinking about ethnic and historical designs.

Does the ethnic list need updating?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

I love a good necro-bump thread! So much gold in the older threads on here.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Yes, thank you for bringing this one back up again! I forgot how interested I was in the Shabaria!
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
ZenL

Post by ZenL »

I absolutely love these knife history threads, learned a lot. Thanks for the bump! aaaand now I want to get a shabaria! Maybe in 2026...?
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Pattadese and Watu need to be added to the list.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Reject wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:57 pm
These 2 accompanied by the story about them from Joyce

:o Anyone read French?
I've been after one for a while but never see them on sale anywhere ! If anyone can provide a shot of the story without the knives in front I could translate it no problem :winking-tongue

But seriously, if anyone knows of one that could find a new home, it'd be an honor.

EDIT: found it translated in the other thread :
Senate wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:06 pm

Denis Lemaire was an creative French Canadian cutlery designer, maker, and friend of Spyderco. In the early '90s Spyderco made a French-style Laguiole model which Denis had engineered and designed. He was adept at producing innovative concepts and was well-acquainted with French influenced cutlery designs. A folder named the AKMA was one of his inventions and is produced today by Florinox Cutlery of Thiers, France.

The Spyderco Laguiole debuted as a high-tech version of a time-honored design. It featured:

~ A front lock (developed by Al Mar and Harvey McBurnette), the first ever lock-back Laguiole
~ A handle of black Micarta with brass liners
~ Blade steel was G-2
~ The traditional Laguiole "bee" found its' appearance underwent a subtle, buggy make-over
~ Notably absent were the Spyderco round hole and a pocket clip
~ Notably present, Spyderco serrations
~ It came with a tooled leather belt sheath
~ Spyderco's French design was manufactured under the Ramco label in Seki City, Japan
The Laguiole was discontinued in 1995-1996 and the MSRP at that time was $119.95, the sheath $19.95.

Strange knife, a French design, Americanized with serrations and made in Japan....

Joyce
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Great journey and history of some classics by Spyderco. Thank you Sal adding insights. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

The only Ethnic Series knives still in the 2023 Product Guide (starting on page 116) are the following with the last one being Pattadese from February 2021:

1. Pattadese (FEB 2021)
  2. Watu (APR 2020)
  3. Respect (MAR 2019)
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Ramonade wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:37 am
Reject wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:57 pm
These 2 accompanied by the story about them from Joyce

:o Anyone read French?
I've been after one for a while but never see them on sale anywhere ! If anyone can provide a shot of the story without the knives in front I could translate it no problem :winking-tongue

But seriously, if anyone knows of one that could find a new home, it'd be an honor.

EDIT: found it translated in the other thread :
Senate wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:06 pm

Denis Lemaire was an creative French Canadian cutlery designer, maker, and friend of Spyderco. In the early '90s Spyderco made a French-style Laguiole model which Denis had engineered and designed. He was adept at producing innovative concepts and was well-acquainted with French influenced cutlery designs. A folder named the AKMA was one of his inventions and is produced today by Florinox Cutlery of Thiers, France.

The Spyderco Laguiole debuted as a high-tech version of a time-honored design. It featured:

~ A front lock (developed by Al Mar and Harvey McBurnette), the first ever lock-back Laguiole
~ A handle of black Micarta with brass liners
~ Blade steel was G-2
~ The traditional Laguiole "bee" found its' appearance underwent a subtle, buggy make-over
~ Notably absent were the Spyderco round hole and a pocket clip
~ Notably present, Spyderco serrations
~ It came with a tooled leather belt sheath
~ Spyderco's French design was manufactured under the Ramco label in Seki City, Japan
The Laguiole was discontinued in 1995-1996 and the MSRP at that time was $119.95, the sheath $19.95.

Strange knife, a French design, Americanized with serrations and made in Japan....

Joyce
I have a couple of D.LeMaire knives

Regarding the Hungarian - It's really a great rendition of a Hungarian Fejesgörbe! I have both a hand made, by Ferenc Kocsis Fejesgörbe and the Spyderco Hungarian

"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:49 am
I have a couple of D.LeMaire knives

Regarding the Hungarian - It's really a great rendition of a Hungarian Fejesgörbe! I have both a hand made, by Ferenc Kocsis Fejesgörbe and the Spyderco Hungarian

The Hungarian is especially beautiful !! I find it really weird that Florinox does not cite Denis Lemaire as creator of the AKMA on their website. They present it as a in house design, which seems really shady from the outskirts. Maybe this was how the deal went, giving all intellectual property on the design out to Florinox but... Names are important in knife making, in France as everywhere else.

I have an issue with the basic Laguiole becase the kick of the blade is often too short and the blade contacts the spring. I'm pretty sure the lockback version from Lemaire is not like that :grin-big eyes I keep my eyes open for one, but like a couple of models I've been after for 2 or 3 years, they're not easy finds !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

Why was the Jens Anso Zulu not included? (sorry if I blindly missed it).
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

HolySteel wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:47 am
Beyond the name, I do not believe there is any ethnic correlation.
-Nick :bug-red
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:52 am
HolySteel wrote:
Thanks. It is described in Spydiewiki as being part of the ethnic series, but nowhere else that I can find.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

HolySteel wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:58 am
Mushroom wrote:
HolySteel wrote:
Thanks. It is described in Spydiewiki as being part of the ethnic series, but nowhere else that I can find.
I could be wrong. I have just never heard it referred to as part of the Ethnic Series.
-Nick :bug-red
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Mushroom wrote:
HolySteel wrote:
I think you’re right, Nick.

I have found no confirmation by Ansø—either in the lead-up to my acquiring one, or since—that the Zulu is anything other than an imaginative knife with an imagined name.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”