Help me build out my spydie wishlist

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
toocool006

Help me build out my spydie wishlist

Post by toocool006 »

Hey y'all,

I'm a fairly recent spyderee, but I've got some good momentum going recently. I love this forum so much, and especially how engaged and welcoming everyone is, so I thought this might be a fun project. I would like to get y'alls feedback on the direction my collection is heading, as I'm mostly only aware of models that have gotten buzz in the past year or two, and wouldn't like to overlook gems from previous years and eras.

Here's where I'm at so far (in order of acquisition):

FRN Chaparral
Sharpmaker
UKPK S110V
Urban K390
Caly 3 Hap40
SpyDK
Pingo
Techno
Sage 2

Here's the current wishlist I'm working from in no particular order:

Mantra 1
Caly Jr SuperBlue
Dragonfly Vtoku2
Roadie
Rhino
Native Fluted CF (grail)
Techno 2 (to replace Techno)
Spydiechef
Lil Nilakka

Of course I'm missing some obvious Sypderco superstars from this lineup - PM2, Manix, Delica in particular stand out - but as you can tell my preferences run to the smaller sizes, and I have a soft spot for slippies. Anything I'm missing that I should put on the radar? Anything on the wishlist that shouldn't be there? Any other thoughts you'd care to share? Thanks for the feedback y'all!

--Andrew
~andrew
BrianMcCord

Re: Help me build out my spydie wishlist

Post by BrianMcCord »

I would have to recommend the Cat in BD-1, if you don't HAVE to have jimping. Stellar little knife, and can be had for around $50. Not bad for a Taiwan Spyderco with American steel, in my opinion.

Happy hunting :spyder:
-Brian

Son's Collection: H1 Rescue Manbug, Tenacious

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
Nate

Post by Nate »

You have impeccable taste Andrew. :)

I have all of these that you mentioned:

FRN Chaparral
Sharpmaker
UKPK S110V
Urban K390
Caly 3 Hap40
SpyDK
Pingo

...And have the Calypso Jr sprint and Dragonfly sprint on pre-order.

You may want to look at the Native lw, lots to choose from. I already have a couple and will probably get the Salt version when it drops. I'm also very fond of the Kiwi 4, but they may be a little hard to find. The Manbugs and Ladybugs also surprised me with the utility they offer in a tiny package. I have the Manbug Salt on my keys and my wife has the pink exclusive Ladybug from Cutlery Shoppe on hers.

Another that I probably mention too much lately but think is an absolute gem is the Baby Horn sprint. Its little scalpel of a blade is actually a tad longer then the Chaparral in an overall package that's not much larger than a SAK Cadet.

Good luck!! Whatever you get, it's hard to go wrong in the Spydie catalog. :p
:spyder:
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Nice list. I am currently in love with the Lil Native and the Caly 3.5 VG10/black G10. I too prefer the smaller sizes
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
PStone

Post by PStone »

Diamond or cbn rods deserve a place on your list. Also the PITS folder can still be found at close out prices some places. I love mine. It’s my only slip joint besides SAK.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Nice collection toocool006!

To start, I would second the recommendations for the Cat and Lil Native! These are two of my favorite EDC knives from Spyderco!
I would also recommend trying out a hawkbill at some point. I've carried a Ladybug Hawkbill daily for at least the past year! The Dragonfly Hawkbill is another recent popular offering!

It sounds like you would like the PITS folder. It's a nice slip joint with a nearly 3 inch blade!

You have to try out a Wharnecliffe Delica at some point as well!
-Nick :bug-red
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

You already have several models that I like and your wishlist has some favorites of mine as well. There's nothing wrong with any of them, especially if they appeal to you.

One suggestion I would make is to try something with a compression lock. The Para 3 would give you a knife like the iconic PM2 in the smaller size that you favor. I'd also suggest the Sage 5 but I'd be afraid you'd buy that instead of the Sage 2 (on your wishlist). Sage 2 is my favorite Sage. So I'm absolutely not recommending you look at the Sage 5! Unless it's after you buy the Sage 2 that is. :)

The previous suggestions of the Native 5 LW and Baby Jess Horn are also good ones!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Get something in Maxamet. I'd say the Manix 2, but if you don't want something that big, go with the Native LW.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Another vote for a hawkbill and a wharnie. See what all the fuss is about :D I'm into the smaller knives as well. An SE hawkbill dragonfly salt would check off a few boxes in the 'things you don't have' list. Serrations, H1, and Hawkbill. A salt knife is a must have for any spyder collector (imho).

What ever you do, don't get the Fluted Carbon Fiber Native 5 :D You'll realize there's no point in getting anymore knives because you've found the perfect one. (I'm kidding of course, you should totally get one) :)
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Dragonfly2 FRN ASAP! Forget the sprint and grab one already :)
Last edited by abbazaba on Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Not a single fixed blade or medium to large knife? I'd start there. I prefer bigger knives but I still own a few small ones. They both have their place.
:unicorn
anycal

Post by anycal »

The Mantra 1 is a helluva knife. So much cutting edge.

Vivi is right. Something in the medium to large department. Lot of great choices there. Pick what appeals to you. Can't go wrong with any of the greats.
Peter
toocool006

Post by toocool006 »

Thanks, all. Some great suggestions here, not that there was ever any doubt... I am very grateful (though my wallet is, shall we say, terrified :eek: )

I should have also added that it's a personal mission to not purchase anything in black (for whatever reason black knifes just don't do it for me), though I'm sure some design some day will break that barrier.

Definitely adding a Cat - does anyone know if there was/is ever a sprint or different color available for this guy?

Manbug / Ladybug - I've had my eye on these, but definitely want/need to get a Dfly first. The ladybug will stay on my radar for sure

Baby Jess Horn - uhoh this one looks like trouble. I might have to bump it to the top of the list and grab before the sprint disappears...

PITS - closeout pricing is hard to pass up, but to be honest the looks of this one don't really do it for me, and part of what I love about slippies are the light weight and low cost. Gotta save money somewhere to buy all these knives!

Lil Native - compelling, but again I think I'm going to have to wait for a non-black version to come out

Native 5 - definitely going to get one of these. There are just too many flavors for me to really fall for one exclusively - maybe the maxamet? looks like I just missed the green s90 KC exclusive, rats

I particularly like zrow's suggestion of the hawkbill Dfly - salt, serration, and Dfly all in one go. Hmm I think I may have just pulled the trigger here.

As far as Vivi and Anycal's suggestions for medium/larger or fixed blades, to be honest I'm not in the hard-user category, mostly using these for light home and office duty, so easy carry and low profile are high on my priorities. If I were to venture into the larger sizes, are there options that y'all can think of that fit that description particularly well? The largest I've got at the moment is a Sage 2 and that feels like about as wide as I'd want to manage, but I could probably go with something longer if it stays slim. Thoughts?
Last edited by toocool006 on Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
~andrew
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

toocool006 wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:03 am
Native 5 - definitely going to get one of these. There are just too many flavors for me to really fall for one exclusively - maybe the maxamet? looks like I just missed the green s90 KC exclusive, rats
Maxamet. If you don't have anything in Maxamet, you need to experience it.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Solid collection so far.
Some on your list might start to get difficult to find. Lil nillakka comes to mind. Mantra is a wait for me. Maybe hope for some cqi.
You should try a para 2 or 3 sometime.
You have a lot of a similar size. Any use for a bigger one in the mix?
Don’t sleep on the fixed blades or even kitchen knives. Try a mule maybe?
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

as some said, I was surprised that you didn't even mention a Salt or a Hawkbill in your "to get" or "interested in" list.

They're two things unique to Spyderco that you won't find from other companies and they are a league on their own, worth trying out for sure...
so my next one would be a DF hawkbill, if I were you

good picks so far!
anycal

Post by anycal »

If you really have no use for a larger knife, it would be a waste I suppose. I get it. I am on the other side of the spectrum. I have no need for very small knives. I don't need or own anything with a cutting edge smaller than the Native.

For me, the medium/large knives get a lot of use outside - around the yard, hiking, camping, picnic, etc. Medium ones that fit this bill are the PM2 and the Manix 2. Both slim-ish, fairly light for the size, and great ergonomics (hand size is a factor, obviously). PM2 is my most used knife out of all the ones I own. On the larger side, the Military and the Police 4 are my favorite.

You said you would go with something longer if it stays slim. Well, the Police 4 is as slim as the Caly 3, and surprisingly light. But, it is not small ;)
Peter
vivi

Post by vivi »

You could try a fully serrated Pacific Salt. The handle works for a variety of hand sizes, it's 100% rust proof, and the serrated edge has very impressive cutting abilities. They only weigh 3oz, so they're lighter than some of your smaller knives, and they're slim.

Another 100% rust proof knife you could check out is the Ark. It's small like you prefer, very thin, weighs under an ounce, and is available in serrated edge as well. They're handy little knives.
:unicorn
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

toocool006 wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:03 am

Cutlery Shoppe has an orange FRN Native 5 exclusive in S90V. It only costs $95.
blueeyedogre

Post by blueeyedogre »

In my opinion no Spyderco collection is complete without at least one Endura or Delica..... Must haves.
Endura 2 Stainless 1, Endura 4 FRN, Delica 4 Emerson, Delica 4 FRN, Delica 4 Wairncliffe, Matriarch, Catcherman, Harpy Stainless, Cricket Stainless, Paramilitary 2, Native 3, Ronin 2, Yojimbo 2, Chinook, UK Penknife, Captain, Bug, Temperance, Kumo, Jerry Hossom Woodlander, Spydercard,