Spyderco Chaparral titanium help (put the knife back together)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Basetta70

Re: Spyderco Chaparral titanium help (put the knife back together)

Post by Basetta70 »

Are you sure you have not swapped the pins?
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

Basetta70 wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:13 pm
Which pins ?
Daveho wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:20 pm
Where are you located bud?
Worst case send it to Golden and they will put it back together for you but contact them for conditions.
If your near me here in Australia you are welcome to send it to me and I’ll put it back together for you.
I live in Europe though, I'm ******.

*Edited for profanity - TazKristi
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Chapp wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:48 pm
Basetta70 wrote:
Which pins ?
Daveho wrote:
Worst case send it to Golden and they will put it back together for you but contact them for conditions.
If your near me here in Australia you are welcome to send it to me and I’ll put it back together for you.
I live in Europe though, I'm *******.

That’s a shame man, I think they are taking about the pivot for the lock and the back spacer pins.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Chapp wrote:
I know you're frustrated but there's no place here for foul language!

Don't panic. There has to be something that you're missing. I would take it back apart and see if there's a different way to reassemble. Take your time, look at everything carefully, and you'll get it.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Basetta70

Post by Basetta70 »

Chapp wrote:
Basetta70 wrote:
Which pins ?
Daveho wrote:

In this particular titanium model you have 3 pins (by your pics)
1) stop pin in the blade
2) assembly pin on the backlock lever
3) assembly pin on the back spacer

is it possible that you mixed them during the reassembly?

If you have a caliper you could measure the lenght of each.

I do live in Europe :)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Basetta70 wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:43 am

1) stop pin in the blade

Pretty sure the stop pin in the blade is fixed, but a swap of the other two could definitely be the culprit if the pin meant for the backspacer is a hair longer than the lockbar pivot pin.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

Basetta70 wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:43 am
Chapp wrote:
Basetta70 wrote:
Which pins ?
Daveho wrote:

1) stop pin in the blade

Europe is amazing, but not the best when it comes to knife enthousiast, it's hard to find someone that shares your hobby =P I live in France btw.

I looked at the pins and unfortunately, the one I have a problem with is fixed, unless I have missed something. Only the one from the back spacer is not fixed and that's not the one I have a problem with.

I have still blade-play when its close and the gap is still there... It's a shame because I'm thinking of reselling it because of saving needed and I don't think I can sell it in its actual state for a good price.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

I think I know what’s happening.

Looking at the pictures, I would be having another look at the pivot bud.
Make sure the pivot is the correct way around and the slight D shape is going right through.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Mon amour chéri ça me brise le coeur de te voir comme ça. Envoie-moi ton couteau ma petite colombe et je le réparerai pour toi.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Bloke wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:38 pm
Mon amour chéri ça me brise le coeur de te voir comme ça. Envoie-moi ton couteau ma petite colombe et je le réparerai pour toi.
Google translate has this as...

My darling love it breaks my heart to see you like that. Send me your knife, my little dove, and I will repair it for you.

This is truely the most friendly forum :)
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Daveho wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:52 pm
Bloke wrote:

My darling love it breaks my heart to see you like that. Send me your knife, my little dove, and I will repair it for you.

Daveho, French is the language of Love. :cool:

What would our French counterparts think if I wrote: “Send us yah knife fella an I’ll ave a crack at fixin it.” :eek:
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Bloke wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:06 pm
Daveho wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:52 pm
Bloke wrote:

Daveho, French is the language of Love. :cool:

What would our French counterparts think if I wrote: “Send us yah knife fella an I’ll ave a crack at fixin it.” :eek:
Hehe they would have to google translate form Aussie jibberish to English :)
It is note worthy that both of us aussies have offered to ave a go aye ;)

Living on our lil island dosnt afford us the opertunity to be all that helpful to our intercontinental buddies huh :(
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

Bloke wrote:
Ahahah I would gladly do so, but the shipping fees will be too high I guess (australia ?). I need to find someone in Europe.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Chapp wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:38 pm
Bloke wrote:
Ahahah I would gladly do so, but the shipping fees will be too high I guess (australia ?). I need to find someone in Europe.
... the tyranny of distance! :rolleyes:
cjk

Post by cjk »

Xformer wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:20 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:46 am
I have taken a Chap apart quite a few times. It is a uniquely constructed knife but no harder than any other back lock.

It does have a stop pin. It is the pin that goes through the blade tang which then rides in the semicircle channels in the liners. It is called an internal stop pin and is in my opinion a superior design. I would like to see more back locks with it. It functions as a stop pin when open as well as functioning like a kick when closed. Anyway, that isn't really what you asked.

The pin you say is causing your issue is the lockbar pivot. The screws for the lockbar pivot are hidden under the scales for this model. I am surprised that you cannot use that screw to pull the scales together? A couple tips that may help. I believe that pin is D shaped so make sure it is aligned with the D shaped hole in the scale. Also, do not over tighten the screw on this pin as it is a pivot for the lockbar. I assume the blade play is being caused by the scales not being pulled together all the way.
Sorry, I'm coming back to you very late. Have you ever take a Titanium Chaparral apart ? Or just common Chap ? I have already noticed about the D-shape pin, but it's only the case on two pins, the pins that you have to insert the screw in. It's not the case for the smaller pin across the scale.

I've taken some pictures. I've circled the pin I have a problem with and I suspect is preventing me to put the scale back correctly :

Next, you have the hole that I should "clipse" the pin in :

Then, the "gap" that I have after putting everything back and tighten the screws :

Sorry for the picture quality, I'm still rocking a 2012 cheap smartphone ^^'. Oh and I forgot to precise, I only have blade play when the knife is closed. It doesn't have it when fully open.
I came across this thread and am wondering if this was ever resolved. I realize the thread is from 4 years ago.

If not, I have some thoughts. I may be completely off base, but here you go.
I see the knife is held together by 2 pivot screws and a the clip screw+barrel.
I would try removing the clip barrel so the backspacer can rotate on the pin.
I would try rotating the backspacer on the remaining pin to release some of the spring tension.
Since these parts are under less spring tension, it should be easier to fit the top scale snugly so both pins seat more easily in their corresponding holes.
After the top scale is fit more snugly and the pivot screw is installed, rotate the backspacer to where it should be and insert the barrel. This might be difficult and take some effort. Taping the blade would be a good idea.

If both of the pins are removeable, they may be swapped. if they're not swapped, it may help to put the lockbar pin in the opposite direction.
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

cjk wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:53 pm
Xformer wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:20 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:46 am
I have taken a Chap apart quite a few times. It is a uniquely constructed knife but no harder than any other back lock.

It does have a stop pin. It is the pin that goes through the blade tang which then rides in the semicircle channels in the liners. It is called an internal stop pin and is in my opinion a superior design. I would like to see more back locks with it. It functions as a stop pin when open as well as functioning like a kick when closed. Anyway, that isn't really what you asked.

The pin you say is causing your issue is the lockbar pivot. The screws for the lockbar pivot are hidden under the scales for this model. I am surprised that you cannot use that screw to pull the scales together? A couple tips that may help. I believe that pin is D shaped so make sure it is aligned with the D shaped hole in the scale. Also, do not over tighten the screw on this pin as it is a pivot for the lockbar. I assume the blade play is being caused by the scales not being pulled together all the way.
Sorry, I'm coming back to you very late. Have you ever take a Titanium Chaparral apart ? Or just common Chap ? I have already noticed about the D-shape pin, but it's only the case on two pins, the pins that you have to insert the screw in. It's not the case for the smaller pin across the scale.

I've taken some pictures. I've circled the pin I have a problem with and I suspect is preventing me to put the scale back correctly :

Next, you have the hole that I should "clipse" the pin in :

Then, the "gap" that I have after putting everything back and tighten the screws :

Sorry for the picture quality, I'm still rocking a 2012 cheap smartphone ^^'. Oh and I forgot to precise, I only have blade play when the knife is closed. It doesn't have it when fully open.
I came across this thread and am wondering if this was ever resolved. I realize the thread is from 4 years ago.

If not, I have some thoughts. I may be completely off base, but here you go.
I see the knife is held together by 2 pivot screws and a the clip screw+barrel.
I would try removing the clip barrel so the backspacer can rotate on the pin.
I would try rotating the backspacer on the remaining pin to release some of the spring tension.
Since these parts are under less spring tension, it should be easier to fit the top scale snugly so both pins seat more easily in their corresponding holes.
After the top scale is fit more snugly and the pivot screw is installed, rotate the backspacer to where it should be and insert the barrel. This might be difficult and take some effort. Taping the blade would be a good idea.

If both of the pins are removeable, they may be swapped. if they're not swapped, it may help to put the lockbar pin in the opposite direction.
I've sold it a longtime ago and let the buyer sort it out =D
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

That's the french touch if I've ever seen it !

We have love for language, and cleverness for labour ! :squinting-tongue
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
cjk

Post by cjk »

Xformer wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:17 am
I've sold it a longtime ago and let the buyer sort it out =D
Glad to see it was sorted somewhat. ;)

I acquired a Ti Chaparral and was looking for pictures or videos of what it looked like disassembled. The google search led me here. Thanks for posting all the pictures.
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

No problem !