Sal, what are the chances for another DS93X Thor blade spydie?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
archangel

Sal, what are the chances for another DS93X Thor blade spydie?

Post by archangel »

The 40th anniversary N5 is gorgeous. Who doesn't love the look of the Damascus patterns. I sure do. I dream of owning one, some time.

Would be so nice to see at least one other classic inhouse spydie design with it. Sal, Mr. Glesser, what are the chances?

Who's in?
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
WireEdge Roger

Re: Sal, what are the chances for another DS93X Thor blade spydie?

Post by WireEdge Roger »

I’ve always wanted a Damasteel Military
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

WireEdge Roger wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:29 pm
Where is the “like” button when you need it?? :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I wouldn't mind one under $200. I only use my 40th on special occasions, it would be nice to have something with DS93x that could be a "user". Something with FRN like a Delica or Native would keep cost down. Though a para 3 would be cool as well.

I'd really like it on a smaller knife though. A plain edge Hawkbill Dfly (I bet the patterns would look awesome on a hollow ground Knife), regular Dfly, and the Lil' Native seem like a good choices.
The upcoming McNees would be awesome with Damasteel too! :D ....Rhino, Lil Nilakka, Q-ball...
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

WireEdge Roger wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:29 pm
Dear Lord! Fluted Carbon Fiber Damasteel Military!

Any price I'll have one.
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

Exactly! I know it would be pricey, but it’s a must have in my book.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'm definitely down for more damasteel! I'd like to see one of the raindrop patterns.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
archangel

Post by archangel »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:03 pm
I wouldn't mind one under $200. I only use my 40th on special occasions, it would be nice to have something with DS93x that could be a "user". ... a para 3 would be cool as well.

I'd really like it on a smaller knife though. A plain edge Hawkbill Dfly (I bet the patterns would look awesome on a hollow ground Knife), regular Dfly, and the Lil' Native seem like a good choices.

I like your thinking. Smaller, more affordable would be great. It‘s a very VERY special steel - would be really nice if more of us could afford it.

Hope that the man himself lets us know what he thinks... :)
Michael
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
archangel

Post by archangel »

How about a UKPK? With nice titanium handles.
Michael
archangel

Post by archangel »

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of a slipjoint version. The Pingo sprint with Elmax blade and titanium handles is a very good example. How about upgrading this Elmax and titanium upgrade by a Damasteel blade? :)
Michael
sal

Post by sal »

I think you see the reality of high cost. I guess we have to get down to a mode than enough people have interest and can afford to "taste" of the "spirit" of the design and "experience" of the materials of the new flavor? We can make it happen and you know that we listen, so talk....

I am assuming that your interest is for the Damasteel version of Damascus? They were just at Spyderco recently for a tour. Good people. Then we would want to nail down the particular Damasteel version desired? Keep in mind we have to make 1200 pcs and if the cost is to high, they end up sitting.

sal
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Then i'd suggest a Delica, Chaparral or Caly(pso) 3/Jr
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
PStone

Post by PStone »

I would pay top dollar for any/all of the military models. I don’t think there would be an issue moving 1200 para2’s now matter what the cost is.
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

I’d vote Military and either Damasteel Rose, Ladder or Munin. All very attractive patterns!
archangel

Post by archangel »

First of all, thanks for your feedback, Sal. Some more random thoughts:

I am lightyears away from being an expert. I take any Damasteel pattern, for what I know they're all stunning.

Spyderco has made some damascus steel Enduras and Delicas, but for the 40th anniversary model, you chose not just any damascus but Damasteel. And when I look at pictures of that blade, I think it shows that it's even more special. Plus the gorgeous handles, made of costy titanium. Top of the line. Valuable.

I understand that any Damasteel model won't be a $100 knife. Not even $200.

The Native is a rather compact size design. Still there are a few models that are smaller, some supposedly selling very well. Take one of those. Not the bug size, for me any knife needs to be clipped - I now suggest the dragonfly, since I think the Pingo is not everybody's darling. Or once again the UKPK. Use quality material handles which are one or two steps below fluted titanium, if you know what I mean.

Don't you think that selling off 1200pcs of such a sprint is possible?
Michael
quattro98

Post by quattro98 »

First of all to Sal, thanks for listening and taking the time to respond to this thread.

I'd love to see the Lil' Native in Damasteel. The smaller blade size should help a little with the materials cost. I'd be in for any pattern, the Munin would work well on a smaller blade. Carbon fiber backlock like the Anniversary knife would be nice (flat slabs instead of milled could keep the cost down), either liner-less back lock or a Compression lock, maybe with Ti liners to save weight.

I have 2 of the 40th Anniversary Natives, but a smaller knife would be welcome since I tend to use the Maxamet & S110V Natives more.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

quattro98 wrote: .....
I'd love to see the Lil' Native in Damasteel. The smaller blade size should help a little with the materials cost. .......
archangel wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:41 pm
.....I now suggest the dragonfly, since I think the Pingo is not everybody's darling. Or once again the UKPK. Use quality material handles which are one or two steps below fluted titanium, if you know what I mean.

There are still 40th anniv. available so, it's not that easy to sell.

If we are serious about keeping cost down, that means G-10 or FRN. Carbon fiber or Titanium and the price goes too high. I think FRN is the way to go (My Damascus FRN Delica looks beautiful, and IMO the FRN doesn't diminish the beauty of the damascus at all). If FRN is the way we are going the Dragonfly seems like the best choice for keeping cost down, or the FRN Chaparral. If G-10 is the way we go, again, g-10 dragonfly to keep costs down, or the Lil Native. I actually like the idea of the little Native a lot, but I fear it would be 200+. Same with the Delica.

I know exact pricing isn't something I can ask about, but Sal, is there any way you can ballpark the cost for us?
In my mind an FRN Damasteel Dragonfly would be somewhere in the range of $140-170 MAP? Am I close?

Or maybe a better question for you would be, which model(s) do YOU think would be the least expensive to produce in Damasteel, and which coutry would be best for production? Seki? Golden?

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Lil' Native might be a good platform.
I don't think that an FRN model would be appealing. Not to me anyway.
archangel

Post by archangel »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:25 pm
quattro98 wrote: .....
I'd love to see the Lil' Native in Damasteel. The smaller blade size should help a little with the materials cost. .......
archangel wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:41 pm
.....I now suggest the dragonfly, since I think the Pingo is not everybody's darling. Or once again the UKPK. Use quality material handles which are one or two steps below fluted titanium, if you know what I mean.

There are still 40th anniv. available so, it's not that easy to sell.

If we are serious about keeping cost down, that means G-10 or FRN. Carbon fiber or Titanium and the price goes too high. I think FRN is the way to go (My Damascus FRN Delica looks beautiful, and IMO the FRN doesn't diminish the beauty of the damascus at all). If FRN is the way we are going the Dragonfly seems like the best choice for keeping cost down, or the FRN Chaparral. If G-10 is the way we go, again, g-10 dragonfly to keep costs down, or the Lil Native. I actually like the idea of the little Native a lot, but I fear it would be 200+. Same with the Delica.

I know exact pricing isn't something I can ask about, but Sal, is there any way you can ballpark the cost for us?
In my mind an FRN Damasteel Dragonfly would be somewhere in the range of $140-170 MAP? Am I close?

Or maybe a better question for you would be, which model(s) do YOU think would be the least expensive to produce in Damasteel, and which coutry would be best for production? Seki? Golden?

You are braver than I was, posting your ideas about the price. I actually typed my ideas twice already, then deleted the text cause I was too afraid I could be too off and would embarrass myself (again) . Me, the rookie, versus you the man that stood his grounds in this forum.

I actually don't imagine any Damasteel blade knife bigger than bug size could be sold at a MAP price that is below $200... If so, I'd instantly hit the (pre) order button, independently of the model. I'd sell the version of the spydie I already own.

The problems of selling all copies of the 40th anniversary model are in my opinion by like 90% caused by the (comprehensibly) high price, and by like 10% by the big "40" engraved on the blade (while I don't mind it, some seem to do).

If the MAP price would be below let's say $220, I seriously think that 1200pcs of a high running Spydie model with a Damasteel blade would go in short time.

Let's not combine an absolute top exquisite blade material with the lowest cost handle material. From my perspective, it needs to be at least G10 handles - maybe in a nice colour. I've recently seen knives by another manufacturer that have damascus style handles. How cool would this look on a Damasteel Spydie?!
Michael
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

archangel wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:33 am

You are braver than I was, posting your ideas about the price.....

Let's not combine an absolute top exquisite blade material with the lowest cost handle material. From my perspective, it needs to be at least G10 handles - maybe in a nice colour. I've recently seen knives by another manufacturer that have damascus style handles. How cool would this look on a Damasteel Spydie?!
Brave? Nah, just not afraid to take a shot in the dark :D It seems we've already answered one question, people don't want FRN.

My thinking on price was this... The Fluted CF Native 5 currently MAPs (in the U.S.) for $234, the 40th Anniv. MAPs at $360... So I figured it was safe to assume somewhere around a $100-130 premium for Damsteel over say the cost of a base model.

So if we are talking a colored G-10 Lil Native with damasteel, the base model MAPs around $113 (us), if I had to guess, I'd say that puts the MAP of a damasteel version somewhere in the neighborhood of $220-230. That's about as high as I'm willing to go, and higher than I really want to go. That's why I was trying to pick a base model under $100.

And yes Damascus handles would be awsome, although I think we'd finally have a knife more expensive than the Nirvana :D But hey if that's what you guys want don't let me stop you. I still have my 40th Anniv. after all, so if you guys want something extraordinary, don't let me talk you out of it :)