Delica 4 Impressons By A Spyderco Newbie

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JaseRicco

Re: Delica 4 Impressons By A Spyderco Newbie

Post by JaseRicco »

zhyla wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:31 pm
500Nitro wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:30 pm
I don't understand why you expect a knife to decrease in price ?

8 years and it increased. Raw materials increase in price. Then labour.

Just interested.
The cost of knives over that same period has gone down quite a bit. As have most consumer goods. It’s not unreasonable to expect the cost of goods to go down over time. Unless you really value the fact that the Delica isn’t made in China it can be hard to stomach the price.

However, I recently helped a friend pick out a first knife and he went with the Delica and is quite happy, despite it being 2x the cost of a Chinese made competitor.
This is the point I was trying to make. $75 price is a bit hard to stomach, especially knowing it once cost $50, but as your friend is, I am quite happy with my two Delica’s.
Jase

Current:
Para 3 LWT & Delica 4 Damascus KnifeJoy Exclusive

On The Hunt For:
Delica 4 Sprints & Exclusives (Background here...viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85708)

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

zhyla wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:31 pm

The cost of knives over that same period has gone down quite a bit. As have most consumer goods. It’s not unreasonable to expect the cost of goods to go down over time. Unless you really value the fact that the Delica isn’t made in China it can be hard to stomach the price.

However, I recently helped a friend pick out a first knife and he went with the Delica and is quite happy, despite it being 2x the cost of a Chinese made competitor.

2x cost of Chinese competitor and 5-10 times the quality.

Your looking at only ONE aspect, cost, forgetting quality and everything else.

I have had things made in the US, China etc.
When you pay people a few cents, of course things can be cheaper.

But quality generally isn't there.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Want a folder for EDC? The Delica is as good as it gets. I own 7 ;)
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

tonijedi wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:03 am
Delica is pretty great.. but as good as it gets?
I have many more to buy to confirm this idea
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

A thoughtful review of the best kind! That is, from someone without the bias of fandom.

The Delica is a timeless classic, so much so that every time I carry mine I wonder why I waste so much money on all these other silly knives. I never really gave much thought to the price, but for a basic, distilled, no nonsense knife that is the entry point for most people to the brand, I do agree that the price is creeping towards a point that feels more premium than starter. But, put into perspective with other brands, it's still a **** of a value and you are gonna be hard pressed find anything close for less that isn't made in China. And, if you're going that route, Spyderco is again still your best bet!
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Daveho wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:00 am
tonijedi wrote:
Delica is pretty great.. but as good as it gets?
I have many more to buy to confirm this idea
Sure your needs may vary and other designs can fit your hand better, but for me the Delica has proven excellent in many conditions and jobs and no other knife suited my hand better than this.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

500Nitro wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:30 am
2x cost of Chinese competitor and 5-10 times the quality.

Your looking at only ONE aspect, cost, forgetting quality and everything else.

I have had things made in the US, China etc.
When you pay people a few cents, of course things can be cheaper.

But quality generally isn't there.
I think you're a bit out of touch with the state of Chinese-made knives. China makers can easily make knives of equal quality for half the price. Want proof? Spyderco's own value line.
sal

Post by sal »

The Chinese Yuan is 6/1 to the US dollar. At twice the price, there is obviously much more profit in making things in China. I think you might want to brush up on your international money value before getting too caught up in price.

sal
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

zhyla wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:59 am
I think you're a bit out of touch with the state of Chinese-made knives. China makers can easily make knives of equal quality for half the price. Want proof? Spyderco's own value line.
I did think you were comparing Generic chinese knives to Spyderco so my mistake there.
Where you control production (including quality) which Spyderco would do, yes, can be up there.

But you only have to look at the Spyderco fakes versus real Spydercos so if your buying on price
some people would get the fake.

Ive got one Spyderco Endura from when first released, I can't remember what I paid I can remember
it cost a lot compared to what I earned, but I love the fact that so many years later its as good as new, never rusted.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
sal

Post by sal »

When we first introduced the Endura and Delica in 1990, we sold them at shows for $25 & $30.

sal
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

In the US that $25 in 1990 is just shy of $50 in today’s money, add for increases in raw material, add a bit to subsidise costs on less popular models, subtract a bit to stay competitive and having recouped some R&D costs and the price just is what it is.
These prices aren’t out of line it’s just that the market is so much more competitive now and there are just so many options at this price point.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Had to bring it
mjdragonfly

Post by mjdragonfly »

Daveho wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:50 pm
Had to bring it
Way to goho!
Calgary on the Bow
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

It’s a pretty well used knife but I should carry it more..
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

tonijedi wrote:
I have my eye on the Delica 4 Wharncliffe in black and orange, so that will be 4 for me ALREADY, and there are plenty of others colors I have my eye on as well.

I’m A bit biased since the Delica 4 is the only Spyderco I own at the present, so I have to agree. However, more seasoned Spyderco collectors would probably disagree and say that the Manix 2, Native 5 and Paramilitaries are as good as they get.
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

PayneTrain wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:59 am
A thoughtful review of the best kind! That is, from someone without the bias of fandom.

The Delica is a timeless classic, so much so that every time I carry mine I wonder why I waste so much money on all these other silly knives. I never really gave much thought to the price, but for a basic, distilled, no nonsense knife that is the entry point for most people to the brand, I do agree that the price is creeping towards a point that feels more premium than starter. But, put into perspective with other brands, it's still a **** of a value and you are gonna be hard pressed find anything close for less that isn't made in China. And, if you're going that route, Spyderco is again still your best bet!
Thank You

Completely agree. I have come to love the Delica in my short time with it.
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I own quite a few...16 I guess... and they keep coming. The price is a “non issue” for me as long as the built quality is there. I only wish Sal would try to implement the new improved back lock into the Delica/Endura line. I hate when they start to develop vertical blade play in use. There is one more thing that disturbs me : the fact that the blade is so thick behind the edge, 0,028 or so AFAIK :confused: Make it 0,020 and add a “Chaparral-like” back lock to do justice to this superb iconic folder.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
mjdragonfly

Post by mjdragonfly »

elena86 wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:24 pm
I own quite a few...16 I guess... and they keep coming. The price is a “non issue” for me as long as the built quality is there. I only wish Sal would try to implement the new improved back lock into the Delica/Endura line. I hate when they start to develop vertical blade play in use. There is one more thing that disturbs me : the fact that the blade is so thick behind the edge, 0,028 or so AFAIK :confused: Make it 0,020 and add a “Chaparral-like” back lock to do justice to this superb iconic folder.
Just curious if you have stayed with the factory edge angle or not? I have a sharpening jig and have replaced the factory profile for a more shallow one (15 - 16 degrees inclusive). This has a significant impact on the cutting ability of the knife and it results in the knife staying sharper longer.
I was not aware of differences in the lock design between the Delica/Endura and the Chaparral. Do you have any links to discussions about this? I would be interested to read about it. Thank you.
Calgary on the Bow
elena86

Post by elena86 »

mjdragonfly wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:42 am
elena86 wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:24 pm
Just curious if you have stayed with the factory edge angle or not? I have a sharpening jig and have replaced the factory profile for a more shallow one (15 - 16 degrees inclusive). This has a significant impact on the cutting ability of the knife and it results in the knife staying sharper longer.
I was not aware of differences in the lock design between the Delica/Endura and the Chaparral. Do you have any links to discussions about this? I would be interested to read about it. Thank you.
Factory edge...15 degrees per side or so...can't provide a link right now but we know that Chapie has an internal stop pin that prevents the blade to rock.It's a more elaborate back lock AFAIK. Maybe Sal would be so kind and chime in mostly because Chaparral is his brainchild but so is the Delica.It seems that the Seki facility doesn't have the capacity to build a more intricate folder with higher tolerances...hellas

Edit : //forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=69324
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
mjdragonfly

Post by mjdragonfly »

Sounds like a good idea, thank you for posting this information. Making a better product is never a bad idea.
Calgary on the Bow