Delica 4 Impressons By A Spyderco Newbie

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JaseRicco

Delica 4 Impressons By A Spyderco Newbie

Post by JaseRicco »

Impressions:

I honestly don’t know how to feel about the price. And quite frankly seeing some of the reactions to discussions, including one that I started, regarding prices and whether or not the knife is worth the price, I’m steering clear of any opinions. The Delica series, including the Delica 4, is an extremely popular model, and I obviously purchased two of them, so price can’t be all that bad. However, after watching some video reviews on the Delica 4 it was stated that the knife cost $50 upon it’s 2010 release. That means after 8 years, this same knife that cost $50, instead of decreasing in price has increased in price by a whopping $20-$25. Not sure what to think about that, but again, I purchased two of them and am planning to purchase more, so the price must not bother me that much :p

Action is super smooth. Right out of the box I adjusted the pivot, the screw that is in direct correlation with the lock bar and put a dab of oil in each one of the three clip holes on both sides of the blade. Spydie Flicks with thumb and middle finger no wrist required. Though just as others have stated, the Delica 4 is not as fun to flick as other Spyderco models. But the fact that the knife can be opened with ease multiple ways is all I care about.

I really don’t have an opinion yet as far as different blade steels are concerned, but lots of individuals have great things to say about VG-10, and this blade was razor sharp right out of the box. I don’t feel a need to sharpen at all until I have used this knife some.

The lockup on this knife is good. You get a real positive feedback both in feel and sound when the blade is locked in place. Completely confident that the knife is locked up nice and safe. I was hesitant about purchasing a knife with a back lock not knowing how easy it would be to close one handed, but surprisingly, the Delica 4 closes one handed with ease. It closes just as easy as any liner lock I have ever had. This was a nice surprise.

Love the weight of the Declia. Coming in at just about 2.5oz you forget this thing is even clipped to your pocket. I have a Siberian Husky and usually wear flannel type pants while hanging around the house. This way I can keep my clothes hung and folded away from getting covered full of hair. Because my flannel pants are thin and light, clipping any sort of knife to have on me is just a pain because of the weight. After receiving the Delica 4 today, on a whim I clipped it to my pocket...absolutely perfect. I’ve been walking around with this thing all day not feeling a thing.

The Delica 4 has what I would consider to be a semi finger choil which gives a great alternative to the standard grip. I saw mention of this on reviews that I watched, but wasn’t sure how comfortable it would be to grip the knife in this manner. Because the finger guard near the ricasso is rounded and smoothed, it’s really not all that bad if you needed to get some finer work done. It may not be how Spyderco intended for this area to be used, but hey, if you needed to you could.

Fit & Finish overall is superb. I mean I wouldn’t expect anything less from a knife that comes out of Japan with some of the most stringent quality controls. Knife appears to be well made and put together nicely. No blade play at all and blade center is right on point.

The texture of the bidirectional FRN is nice, really grips good, and the design and size feels good. These characteristics make the knife super comfortable in hand giving it great ergonomics. Not too big not too small.

Couple Nitpick Items...

-The Spydie hole is pretty aggressive and what I would consider to be sharp. When flicking it open with my middle finger a couple times the hole actually took some nail with it. I have to figure out the best way to smooth the hole edges out. I read that someone used one of their SharpMaker stones to achieve this...we’ll see.

-This is completely personal preference, but I kind of wish that the screws and their corresponding pins were blacked out to match the clip. Think this would look best, especially on the orange FRN Delica I picked up.

- Again, strictly personal preference, but even though the ricsso and finger guard come together to make an area that can be used as a finger choil, I would rather see a smaller or nonexistent ricasso and larger blade edge than a smaller blade edge and larger ricasso.

That’s it, thats all that I found “wrong” with the Declia 4. Overall, I love the Delica 4 already. I can’t wait to pick it up in it’s other variations, especially the Wharncliffe. It’s a quality piece backed by a phenomenal company. It will serve well as an EDC and as a knife that I feel completely confident carrying On The Job.
Attachments
149A5BE3-83DB-4D0B-BFAF-FA01A27987B2.jpeg
F40A4FBF-F4B6-44F3-8D68-58BA55CDA5DC.jpeg
F2163BC2-780D-47E8-A9ED-D45DAF664D94.jpeg
Last edited by JaseRicco on Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jase

Current:
Para 3 LWT & Delica 4 Damascus KnifeJoy Exclusive

On The Hunt For:
Delica 4 Sprints & Exclusives (Background here...viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85708)

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
MichaelScott

Re: Delica 4 Impressons By A Spyderco Newbie

Post by MichaelScott »

You can see why the Delica is such a highly rated knife. In many ways a PM2 and it’s progeny are bigger Delicas with different materials and locks.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

They really are just a good solid knife.
Can’t ask for a lot more...except for it to cost less but isn’t that always the case...
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

"However, after watching some video reviews on the Delica 4 it was stated that the knife cost $50 upon it’s 2010 release. That means after 8 years, this same knife that cost $50, instead of decreasing in price has increased in price by a whopping $20-$25. Not sure what to think about that,"

I don't understand why you expect a knife to decrease in price ?

8 years and it increased. Raw materials increase in price. Then labour.

Just interested.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

MichaelScott wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:56 pm
You can see why the Delica is such a highly rated knife. In many ways a PM2 and it’s progeny are bigger Delicas with different materials and locks.
Absolutely
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

Daveho wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:48 pm
They really are just a good solid knife.
Can’t ask for a lot more...except for it to cost less but isn’t that always the case...
Ain’t that the truth :)
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

500Nitro wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:30 pm

Just interested.
I’m not really sure, just something about the fact that it has increased that much over the years bothers me. The knife is exactly the same, no upgrades at all, but costs $25 more?? I can see your point though. And as my OP stated, I still purchased two, so my observation is moot, just wanted to mention it.
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

No worries, I'm a bit more exposed to Raw material prices - iron ore being one of them - and know what stratospheric levels it gig to in the last 10 years !!!
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Mr. Pick

Post by Mr. Pick »

For some reason I had never bought a Delica, though I own other Spydercos. And as a rule I don't buy brightly colored knives.... but, I wandered into my local gun store and there was an orange Delica just like yours and it came home with me. I put a lanyard on it and it has become the knife I carry whenever I can't/don't want to carry a knife with a pocket clip. Wonder why I waited so long to pick one up now...
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I carried my blue one with me to work today to celebrate with Jase!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

Mr. Pick wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:38 pm
For some reason I had never bought a Delica, though I own other Spydercos. And as a rule I don't buy brightly colored knives.... but, I wandered into my local gun store and there was an orange Delica just like yours and it came home with me. I put a lanyard on it and it has become the knife I carry whenever I can't/don't want to carry a knife with a pocket clip. Wonder why I waited so long to pick one up now...
Glad you took a chance on the orange. I love the orange FRN, and I’m thinking of hitting each one of the screws and pins with some black paint...take it to the next level.
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:12 pm
I carried my blue one with me to work today to celebrate with Jase!
Nice!! :D
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Kind of a delica...
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Daveho wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:06 pm
Kind of a delica...
It's like a "Ultra-Delica" and one of my favorite knives!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:43 pm
Daveho wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:06 pm
Kind of a delica...
It's like a "Ultra-Delica" and one of my favorite knives!
Now that I got the bearings sorted I totally agree.
I love this knife.
Kevhead

Post by Kevhead »

I’m glad you’re pleased with your new purchase. I just bought my first 2 Delicas recently also. A new 4 with a saber grind and a like new Delica 1 clipit. Love em both. It’s neat to see how it has evolved over the years. I see what all the hype is about. Perfect size, great ergonomics, easy opening with the hole, disappears in the pocket, etc.

I own several knives from other makers in the same price range. Have to say the Delica 4 is the best one in its price range. Heck, might be best edc out there. Plus you support a family run business whose owner and employees are incredibly accessible on this forum. The only minor regret I have is not getting the FFG based solely on all the high praise you hear about it. As an aside, wonder if new steel tariffs will drive up knife prices??
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

In regards to smoothing the sharp edges of the opening hole:

Find a corresponding size marble/bearing and put polishing compound on the sharp edges. Rub/Roll till desired smoothness.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

500Nitro wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:30 pm

Just interested.
The cost of knives over that same period has gone down quite a bit. As have most consumer goods. It’s not unreasonable to expect the cost of goods to go down over time. Unless you really value the fact that the Delica isn’t made in China it can be hard to stomach the price.

However, I recently helped a friend pick out a first knife and he went with the Delica and is quite happy, despite it being 2x the cost of a Chinese made competitor.
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

Kevhead wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:09 pm
I’m glad you’re pleased with your new purchase. I just bought my first 2 Delicas recently also. A new 4 with a saber grind and a like new Delica 1 clipit. Love em both. It’s neat to see how it has evolved over the years. I see what all the hype is about. Perfect size, great ergonomics, easy opening with the hole, disappears in the pocket, etc.

I own several knives from other makers in the same price range. Have to say the Delica 4 is the best one in its price range. Heck, might be best edc out there. Plus you support a family run business whose owner and employees are incredibly accessible on this forum. The only minor regret I have is not getting the FFG based solely on all the high praise you hear about it. As an aside, wonder if new steel tariffs will drive up knife prices??
Thanks bud! Looks like we are experiencing Delicas for the first time together. Sounds like you are enjoying yours as well. I agree with everything you said and more. I was very hesitant about purchasing the Delica 4 because of the back lock and FRN, but I am glad I took a chance. I absolutely love the Delica 4 and am eagerly waiting until I am ready to pick up some other variations...have my eyes on the Wharcliffe in both black and ogange.

Regarding the Tariffs, there was a discussion started but it did not gain much traction. The last post was “I believe he's only proposing tariffs on raw materials, not finished goods. So the China, Taichung, Seki-City, and Italian Spyderco's shouldn't cost more. What might happen is Golden knives will cost more if they use imported steels in the liners, screws, clips, etc. Or sprint runs in imported steels like M390. Though I get the impression that the raw blade stock might not be as big a cost as machining and heat treating it. So if M390 got 25% more expensive, I wouldn't think a sprint run M390 PM2 would cost 25% more or anything like that, maybe just a few dollars more.” Guess we’ll have to wait and see.
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

Halfneck wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:49 pm
In regards to smoothing the sharp edges of the opening hole:

Find a corresponding size marble/bearing and put polishing compound on the sharp edges. Rub/Roll till desired smoothness.
Last edited by JaseRicco on Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold: