Spyderco's use of Leaf-Shaped Blades = Geometrically Very Strong and Efficient!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Spyderco's use of Leaf-Shaped Blades = Geometrically Very Strong and Efficient!

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I should have mentioned this before but I want this knowledge to be shared and known to you all:

It is actually very wise, smart, and astute of Sal and the people at Spyderco to make leaf-shape bladed knives. If you examine geometry you find that there are certain structures which are stronger and more stress and strain-resistant than others. The sphere, the tetrahedron, and curved surfaces like that.

It is actually very inefficient for people to make cities and houses and buildings using box shaped and rectangular shaped buildings. Architects should know better. Some do. You had men like Buckminster Fuller who made geodesic curved structures.

Regarding knives: The Leaf Shape blade and Lenticular Shape Blades and Elliptical Blades that Spyderco has as their fundamental basis (yes, I am aware that sometimes they diverge from this but that is beside the point, those are exceptions to the rule) are among the strongest, toughest, most durable shapes made.
twinboysdad

Re: Spyderco's use of Leaf-Shaped Blades = Geometrically Very Strong and Efficient!

Post by twinboysdad »

I wouldn't mind meeting you one day, dude.
bearfacedkiller

Re: Spyderco's use of Leaf-Shaped Blades = Geometrically Very Strong and Efficient!

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Also probably the oldest blade shape, going back into the stone age. Most of the old stone age knives I have seen were leaf or spear shaped blades.

It is truly a functional blade shape that is good at a lot of different things.

Also, I want in on the SEF meet and greet. ;)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Wow, thank you guys, I am honored!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I remember reading an article many years ago about the “magic” of good blade geometry, specifically, of blades that were more leaf-shaped. I can’t recall who wrote that article, but the author reprofiled the main blade of a Swiss Army Knife to a “leaf” profile. The result of his experiment was quite impressive.

P.S. My wife and I would both like to be included on the SEF “meet-and-greet.” Keep us posted! :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

After reading this post I felt compelled to carry a Manix 2 and a Caly 3.5 today hehe
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Count me in on the SEF meet up! :D
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Termite Toothpick

Post by Termite Toothpick »

I will bring my Chaparral to the SEF meet n greet. Count me in!
Dragonfly G-10, Blurple PM2, Para3, Jani-Song, Dragonfly2 ZDP-189, Lil' Native, Chaparral LW, Delica WC HAP40, Para3 M4, HH UKPK S30V, Para3 LW, Para3 LW M390, Meerkat V-TOKU2, M4 Sage 5 LW, Urban Ivory Damasteel, Leaf Storm

:bug-white-red -Derek