Spyderco prototype... NOT

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
joeldworkin307

Spyderco prototype... NOT

Post by joeldworkin307 »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/rare-spyderco- ... 3030194735

Now I know that this is the fakest of the fakes, but how do I tell the seller? I tried informing them and this is the response I received;

it's not that I dont believe you. I know counterfeit Spydercos are all over ebay especially the round carbon fiber flipper. i forget the name of it. has orange accents. I just havent seen them put the logo on a knife that was never in production. I've researched this knife for awhile cause i figured it could be fake cause Spyderco never went into production with a spring assist knife. I had a major Spyderco collector tell me it was probably a proto.but who knows without another one to compare it too.. I have a pretty large collection going back to the early 90's. Spydercos are all i buy. Either way it's a pretty cool knife
SG89

Re: Spyderco prototype... NOT

Post by SG89 »

just click "report item". he's a scumbag
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
joeldworkin307

Post by joeldworkin307 »

Usually the scumbags do not respond or do so more abrasively. I'm hoping this one just needs to see evidence.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I reported it as a fake already a few hours ago. I thought to write the buyer but I figured I’d get some lame response exactly like you got, so I didn’t bother. Guess my intuition was right! :D
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
SG89

Post by SG89 »

at the end when he says "either way it's a pretty cool knife" tells you all you need to know about his character.
Spydergirl88
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Definitely a fake.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
polyhexamethyl

Post by polyhexamethyl »

i’d report him, buy the knife via paypal and destroy the thing and take my money back :)
...ridiculous thing :eek: :mad:
NickShabazz

Post by NickShabazz »

Interesting. That hardware is the kind often used by M-Tech and other Master Cutlery brands. I didn't know that they were making (awful) fakes on the side.
Mourning the Slysz Bowie and loving the rest of Spyderco's gems. Check out my reviews at https://www.youtube.com/c/nickshabazz!
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

dang, even has a Spyder on the handle...must be real!
when I see these things I don't know whether to cry or laugh :o
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

He knows it's fake, he knew it was fake before anyone told him, he claims to be a long time collector so he would know it's a fake, there is no "major Spyderco collector" telling him anything.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

FWIW, a couple years ago quite a few of those atrocities were sold on eBay for $20 or less with free shipping from China.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:31 pm
He knows it's fake, he knew it was fake before anyone told him, he claims to be a long time collector so he would know it's a fake, there is no "major Spyderco collector" telling him anything.
So, against my better judgement, I did write to him telling him I reported it as a fake/counterfeit Spyderco and he responded:

“Oh you are a "true" collector. So I guess the 20 plus Spydercos I have in my collection going back to the early 90's don't qualify me to be in your little group where you sit and talk EDITED about people.Im also glad you took the time to tell me how superior you are. Now I have tried to find out about this knife.I talked to Spyderco and was told they at that time never had a production spring assist knife. I think they may now.I have never been able to find another one of these knives anywhere on the internet. I sent a picture of it to a "true" collector on here that I got a tufram coated g2 civilian from and an ATR. he is the one who told me it may be a prototype.anyway I really don't know what business it is of yours.I don't produce, manufacture, or stock these knives.I bought it on here cause it looked like a cool knife. I collect knives and I was a spyderco dealer for 15 years.now go back to your little chat room and gossip like little girls”

So there you go...
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:36 pm
now go back to your little chat room and gossip like little girls”

So there you go...

Typical butthurt response. Anyone who honestly thought they had a prototype and was told it wasn't, if they actually gave a crap about being honest and not ripping people off would appreciate the heads up not be defensive and insulting.
~David
SG89

Post by SG89 »

lol
Spydergirl88
Northglenn500

Post by Northglenn500 »

I reported it to Ebay too. Now, back to gossiping girls!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:03 am
at the end when he says "either way it's a pretty cool knife" tells you all you need to know about his character.
I hate when ebay sellers claim to be collectors yet use this phrase in every item they list. It's not cool... its a fake and you are pandering your wares under the guise that it could be real.

This really burns my buns. I remember when the secondary market had some integrity and sellers didn't advertise or mislead their listings to confuse buyers who don't know better.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
sal

Post by sal »

"It talks all kind of animals to make a forest and without the leeches and mosquitoes, one might not appreciate the hawks and the deer".

sal
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

sal wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:51 pm
"It talks all kind of animals to make a forest and without the leeches and mosquitoes, one might not appreciate the hawks and the deer".

sal
Hearing about this kind of thing definitely makes me appreciate the many honest dealers out there.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
joeldworkin307

Post by joeldworkin307 »

The auction is down. Score one for us small time collectors who cannot identify a true spyderco prototype.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

joeldworkin307 wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:40 pm
The auction is down. Score one for us small time collectors who cannot identify a true spyderco prototype.
Gossip Girls unite!
~David