Has your compression lock knife opened accidentally?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Daveho

Re: Has your compression lock knife opened accidentally?

Post by Daveho »

If it’s something that concerns you during high energy activity you can ofcause pack it.
vivi

Post by vivi »

or you can just carry a backlock and never worry about the matter, while still utilizing pocket clips however you'd like.
:unicorn
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:15 pm
or you can just carry a backlock and never worry about the matter, while still utilizing pocket clips however you'd like.
I never worry now, however I would say that if the issues are happening when people are doing high impact/high movement sorts of activity then perhaps the need for quick knife deployment isn’t as much a priority and stowing it in a pack is an idea.
Or just put it in a pocket that your not in and out of all the time which doesn’t leave room for the knife to open.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Daveho wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:27 pm
Vivi wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:15 pm
I never worry now, however I would say that if the issues are happening when people are doing high impact/high movement sorts of activity then perhaps the need for quick knife deployment isn’t as much a priority and stowing it in a pack is an idea.
Or just put it in a pocket that your not in and out of all the time which doesn’t leave room for the knife to open.
This is one reason I moved my RFP primary knife to my RRP and replaced it with my pen. Saves me from scratching the devil out of it as well.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
vivi

Post by vivi »

I have no reason to risk another cut by trying out other methods if my current method has a 100% success rate.

Back pocket is where I first had folders open in my pocket. RFP doesn't exist on a lot of my summer clothes and I like IWB better anyways. Don't always bring a pack, especially on runs. 5th pocket is a great carry method but lots of my clothes lack one too. I always have a waistband though.

Maybe I could get a Para 2 to work for me IWB tip up. Maybe I'd get cut again. Who knows. My Pacific Salt works flawlessly so I have no reason to switch to a different folder.

I do have a lot of small, light fixed blades I carry most days instead of folders. Some have clips so they work with no belt. Not a fan of neck carry.

FWIW I do plan to buy the ATR 2, but I'm only going to carry it RFP on days that will work for me.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

My Para 3 LW partially opened in my pocket a few times tonight. Carrying it in khaki shorts, right front pocket, tip up. Anyone else have their Para 3 LW open on them in their pocket??
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:47 pm
My Para 3 LW partially opened in my pocket a few times tonight. Carrying it in khaki shorts, right front pocket, tip up. Anyone else have their Para 3 LW open on them in their pocket??
Do you know why/what made it open?

I've carried liner locks clipped RFP tip down for the past 20 years and never had one open in my pocket, even running, jumping, rolling, swimming, diving, or any other activity. The only time it has unintentionally opened was dropped to a hard surface.
Last edited by jpm2 on Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

jpm2 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:55 pm
steelcity16 wrote:

Nope, no idea. Not doing anything particularly engaging either. Just walking around, sitting, standing, etc.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:23 pm
jpm2 wrote:
steelcity16 wrote:

Nope, no idea. Not doing anything particularly engaging either. Just walking around, sitting, standing, etc.
Was it clipped? Anything else in pocket?
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I carry three knives on me everyday and it’s often three comp locks in three different pockets. I’ve never had one open on me. Not once.

I feel like I should also mention that I’m one of those people that only carry knives in my pockets, there’s no cell phone or loose change in there. So if I’m going into my pocket it’s to draw out a knife. Ok, my rear back pocket will always have a knife and my wallet in there, so I guess that’s the exception to the rule. But that’ll be a tip up, not against the seam carry so who knows.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have had comp locks, liner and frame locks, and axis locks open accidentally.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I had a Bradley Air part way open in my pocket carried loose with keys. Keys snagged the hole. I made a short scabbard for it.

I had axis lock thumb studs snag the seam of my jeans when drawing from the clipped position and open the blade.

Other than that, only when dropped.

Under what conditions has a knife opened unintentionally? Be specific.
EG: what knife, how carried, where carried, what clip position (if clipped), what activity, etc..

What forced it to open?
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

jpm2 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:31 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:23 pm
jpm2 wrote:
steelcity16 wrote:

Was it clipped? Anything else in pocket?
Clipped, nothing else in the pocket.
vivi

Post by vivi »

jpm2 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:09 pm
I had a Bradley Air part way open in my pocket carried loose with keys. Keys snagged the hole. I made a short scabbard for it.

I had axis lock thumb studs snag the seam of my jeans when drawing from the clipped position and open the blade.

Other than that, only when dropped.

Under what conditions has a knife opened unintentionally? Be specific.
EG: what knife, how carried, where carried, what clip position (if clipped), what activity, etc..

What forced it to open?
CTS204P Military opened carried in my fifth pocket while walking around.

DLC Para 2 opened IWB, back pocket and fifth pocket. Regular days, walking around at work etc, no crazy mountain runs. This is the knife that stabbed me on one of these occasions, which prompted me to quit using detent based locks.

Cheap Kershaw framelock opened on me. Vapor, I believe. I had it loose in my front pocket with some change.

CBBL, BBL and backlocks have been flawless for me in this regard.

It limits my options tremendously avoiding comp locks, frame locks and liner locks, but it's safer for me.
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

i've had a pm2 open in my pocket once. it was early morning, and no cuts / blood / pocket damage - just a careful extraction and close. right now i've had the same dlc camo pm2 in my pocket for a year and 4 months with no problems. the one that opened was a different one.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

My PM2 opened on my pocket more than once. Not a lot, but the tip was out of the handle 3 to 5 millimeters.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Just last night my Ikuchi has opened up in my shorts pocket. Felt a little poke and saw the tip poking out through the fabric. Somehow that crazy tip didn’t manage to draw blood.
I’ve had other lock types do the same. Even lockback believe it or not. The only kind that’s never opened on me unexpectedly is a slipjoint, and that’s not even a locking knife.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Can someone here please explain to me why this lock has opened the blade accidentally for some and not others? Is it an issue of the movement of the individual person and where the folded knife is placed on their person?
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:15 am
Can someone here please explain to me why this lock has opened the blade accidentally for some and not others? Is it an issue of the movement of the individual person and where the folded knife is placed on their person?
For me I think I physically moved the blade open but because the knife doesn't have any way to automatically close itself back up, even if it opens only a tiny amount. So when I pulled the knife out the blade did a waved opening through my pants, luckily not me. It just has a weak detent and no tendency to close itself. You do have to be a bit more careful with this kind of lock than others imo. It's the only lock I've had come open if I drop the knife. Dropped the Ikuchi, which by the way I've cut myself more on than any other Spyderco, when the Ikuchi landed the blade came open and landed right by where my feet where. Luckily I've trained myself to move away if I drop one.
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
vivi

Post by vivi »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:15 am
Detents can vary from model to model, and each from knife to knife from the same model. Detents also wear down over time. Some folks keep their pivots looser than others. Some work in an office, some move around on their feet all day. Lots of variables to consider.

FWIW all the knives I mentioned had pivots tightened down until there was no play.