Back locks rule

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Donut

Re: Back locks rule

Post by Donut »

I like most locks. A lot of them have pros and cons.

Molle Ninja wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:21 pm
I love the Chaparral FRN ... easily could be the only one ... but here on the couch with me is a titanium framelock ...

Just more fun to manipulate.
You didn't buy another couch, just for that knife? :p
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

It is true that I trust Spyderco liner locks and other detent dependent locks more than I do those locks from other makers. I have had bad experiences with these locks from some major makers. Just dropping a lot of them onto the bed when emptying my pockets will cause most of them to open. Also, these knives are not truly ambidextrous and if I need a knife in my off hand then that can be an issue (though it is possible to learn). I do have some nice Spyderco detent locks that I enjoy and like to carry, but I do not trust them as much as a back lock.

I greatly appreciate and prefer Spyderco back locks. They are simple, fully ambidextrous, stronger, more reliable, more intuitive, and safer. There are a number of people on this forum who use knives hard, all the time, and others who used to have occupations that required that, who will most commonly say a back lock is their preferred lock.

I will admit that I had a Buck 110 lock back come open in my back pocket once, but that was because I fell down a mountain when a ledge gave way, and went tumbling end over end and sliding on my backside. Fortunately, it cut my pocket and not me. So, even a back lock might come open but it takes a very peculiar set of circumstances to make this happen if the lock and knife are made properly. (I would never have carried a liner lock like that)
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

I agree ^^^^

I've dropped knives to the floor at least twenty times over the years, can't recall any backlocks that didn't stay closed, one of them opened a bit all the times it fell, but that knife had a problem :o

all my liner and frame locks that I remember opened halfway or more when they fell from that height. When deliberately dropping them on the bed or table these were also quick to open enough to cut you bad :eek:
something that never happens with my TriAds/Spydie Salts, which are almost all I carry now

also I've been cut three times with a "closed" knife clipped in my pocket, two were framelock flippers and one was a liner lock, but none Spydercos
Last time I grabbed a pic to remind me of the risks of carrying liner and frame locks doing vigorous activity :spyder:
► Show Spoiler
just FWIW