Back locks rule

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SF Native

Re: Back locks rule

Post by SF Native »

I seem to like well exectuted knives. Of my 5 current favorites one is a backlock, one is a frame lock, one is a liner lock, one is a slip joint, and one is a compression lock.
If it’s well designed and executed, it doesn’t matter. Backlocks to have a unique and appealing feel though.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

My favorite lock as well. I am right handed, still it is easiest to operate lock for me. I can only wish that Shaman had it.
I also do not care about flicking.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Fave is compression lock
Next is frame/liner locks
Third is back lock
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
polyhexamethyl

Post by polyhexamethyl »

i like all locks on my folding knives, but i prefer a liner lock since the knives usually are bit lighter and way easier to clean out
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:10 am
I love a good (respectful) debate so I'll join in. I'm gonna go out on a different limb than probably anyone here will and say my favorite lock might actually be the PLUNGE LOCK. Some of you might have no idea what that is if you don't or can't own any automatics, but it's the lock currently used on the Autonomy.

The biggest down side apart from the legal aspect of autos is that it isn't ambidextrous. However, I find it quite easy to operate with my left index finger in both opening and closing. I'd say it's far easier to operate left handed than a compression lock or liner lock. With all this in mind, I am VERY interested in seeing how the compression lock performs with a side button. It looks like it will function essentially the same but without the auto feature and without locking itself closed the way the Plunge Lock does.
+1 On the Plunge lock. New manual flipper from a well known automatic knife maker is an excellent example and works great as a flipper. Also looking forward to seeing the button operated compression lock. Maybe we'll get a plunge lock Sage...though I'd rather see the new Stop Lock first.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I was always a fan of the axis lock before I discovered Spyderco. Since then I have tried many many different Spydies in a variety of lock designs. Ironically I don't buy a knife because of a locking mechanism anymore. I buy what feels good in hand and what cuts. That veing said, my collection consists of probably 60% back locks and 40% everything else combined. For the record, many of my back locks are easily flickable should I feel inclined.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
vivi

Post by vivi »

twinboysdad wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:20 pm
Strong detent is best detent. Sorry guys, back lock is best lock. Lock rock blah blah blah...it never opens in my pocket and is ambidextrous

Agreed.

I won't carry a fixed blade that accidentally pops out of the sheath.

I won't carry a gun that slips out of its holster.

I won't carry a knife that opens in my pocket.

Detent based locks are a liability. I pretty much refuse to carry them at all after being poked a few times from them opening.

It's a shame the market is more interested in "easy open" fidget flickers for knives instead of safe and practical tools.
:unicorn
lunde

Post by lunde »

My preferred method of folding knife carry—regardless of the locking mechanism—is in a custom-made open-top leather belt sheath, which renders moot the issue or concern of inadvertent opening. Here is the sheath that I use for my CF + S90V RIL Military → https://www.instagram.com/p/BYHaWsVgKDm/
bh49

Post by bh49 »

xceptnl wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:43 pm
I was always a fan of the axis lock before I discovered Spyderco. Since then I have tried many many different Spydies in a variety of lock designs. Ironically I don't buy a knife because of a locking mechanism anymore. I buy what feels good in hand and what cuts.
Well said Landon.
+1
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
felloffthetruck

Post by felloffthetruck »

How's the back lock Manix 2?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:38 am
twinboysdad wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:20 pm
Strong detent is best detent. Sorry guys, back lock is best lock. Lock rock blah blah blah...it never opens in my pocket and is ambidextrous

Agreed.

Detent based locks are a liability. I pretty much refuse to carry them at all after being poked a few times from them opening.

It's a shame the market is more interested in "easy open" fidget flickers for knives instead of safe and practical tools.
I've been asking Sal for a back lock Military for years. I want the exact knife, not a similar knife, but with a back lock.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Oh wow. After reading your personal experiences, such as from people like Vivi and others on here, now I am a bit concerned that a Compression-Lock Knife like the Caribbean will open in my pocket and cut me.

But let me ask you this: Would you say that the amount of times this has happened is very low and the probability extremely low compared to the times you carried these lock types and everything went okay?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:52 pm
Oh wow. After reading your personal experiences, such as from people like Vivi and others on here, now I am a bit concerned that a Compression-Lock Knife like the Caribbean will open in my pocket and cut me.

But let me ask you this: Would you say that the amount of times this has happened is very low and the probability extremely low compared to the times you carried these lock types and everything went okay?
As popular as the Para 2 is, I would think if it happened a lot you wouldn't need to ask this question, it would be coming up in threads all the time. Apart from the one incident I had I've never had one open on me and I carried a Yojimbo 2 for over a year everyday. It certainly can happen but it definitely takes the right situation to happen.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Uke

Post by Uke »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:38 am
Agreed.

My thoughts exactly. I carried liner locks, CBBLs, compression locks etc. for years and loved them, no issues whatsoever. Then one opened up on me in my pocket - just the once and that was it for me. Quite the eyeopener (and palm-opener unfortunately! :D ). Nothing but back locks now. Oh how I miss all those lovely Spydie designs I no longer carry :(
vivi

Post by vivi »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:

I think most people can get by fine with one, especially if they exclusively carry right front pocket clipped next to the seam and live a fairly inactive lifestyle.

I don't. I carry fixed blades on my belt, and usually only carry folders on days I don't wear a belt (light running shorts etc.). So I'm carrying a folder IWB while I'm running up and down mountainous hiking trails. I'm tossing them (or a small FB) in a bike bag while mountain biking. I carried a Tasman Salt IWB for a decade of skateboarding, doing jumps over stairs and off ramps. And in a month or two I'll be picking up a new kayak and taking them along.

So I think that plays a big role. That being said the times I had my knives open it was generally while just walking around.

For me it's largely about peace of mind. I had a gun + holster combo where if I leaned back in my car just right it'd pop the mag out. I sold the gun and got a different one. I've had knives open in my pocket. I sold them. I've had flashlights with pocket clips that weren't secure, and the light would fall out of my pocket. Those aren't things I want to have to think about with EDC items. I simply don't carry gear that I have to ever second guess. Knives are still more tool than accessory for me at the end of the day. I care more about safety than flicking.
:unicorn
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:

If you are concerned, carry tip down and let gravity be you backup. I think it’s pretty rare. I would be curious what happened when anyone had one open in pocket? Caught on keys? Decent finally wore down? Bumped on something?
Edit: I would more worried about a flipper as the tab could bump on something.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

felloffthetruck wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:35 am
How's the back lock Manix 2?
It is amazing. A bit on the thick and chunky side but is a workhorse. Fresh out of the box it fell it 90 degrees when i pressed the lock. It also has the widest back lock bar I've ever owned. Makes the delicas lock look like a toothpick.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
sal

Post by sal »

Interesting discussion. Obviously there are many different types of locks and as many pinions about them. Like steels, cars and mates, different people value different things and as being more or less important that other attributes. That's what makes this conversation interesting.

We, at Spyderco try to make as much variety as possible, but we also value safety before anything else in lock. We make them all and we try to make all of them as safe as possible. We dumped an entire shipment and changed makers because we felt the ball detent on a model was not safe and they felt it was.

Our values on locks:

1. Safety
2. reliability
3. longevity
4. strength
5. ability to stay closed when closed
6. Convenience to operate
7. laws where necessary

sal
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

It’s like guns. They don’t lay around for hours, days or years then go off. Same with locks on knives. You have to introduce the human element before things start to go wrong. I would also conjecture that there is a strong dose of responsibility involved so that if one has a knife one should be vigilant enough to detect potential issues and either change ones handling practices or return it for inspection and maintenance if necessary. We aren’t perfect so things will happen but we can minimize that.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Your answer settles it for me, sal. Thank you!