Why no Manix 2 in 204P?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Manix 2 in 204P: Yes or No

Poll ended at Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:11 am

Yes
87%
No
13%

Total votes: 30

bh49

Re: Why no Manix 2 in 204P?

Post by bh49 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:10 am
I am not certain, as he does not say. However, he is pretty knowledgeable...more so than I am.
I am sure that he is more knowledgeable in steels that I as well, still doesn't make this blog owner an expert. The reason why I am a little spectical about 204P being "the best steel" is that I never heard from people, who are trust about steels.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

bh49 wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:53 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:10 am
I am not certain, as he does not say. However, he is pretty knowledgeable...more so than I am.
I am sure that he is more knowledgeable in steels that I as well, still doesn't make this blog owner an expert. The reason why I am a little spectical about 204P being "the best steel" is that I never heard from people, who are trust about steels.
Have you read this reference?

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/ran ... pe.793481/
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Yes, I did. Years ago. And I trust to Jim.
I am aware that 204P is among top stainless steels for abrasive resistance. But the best steel looks like a stretch. Anyway everybody is entitled to have an opinion.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

:D
bh49 wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:18 pm
I am aware that 204P is among top stainless steels for abrasive resistance. But the best steel looks like a stretch. Anyway everybody is entitled to have an opinion.
I agree with Roman. I wouldn't brand it as the best, however it does make my top 5 list of steels I prefer to have in my collection. Purely because i find it sharpens as easy as S30V yet holds a working edge far longer. I haven't been fortunate to try it in a custom heat treat yet to know what it is really capable of ranking.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
mjdragonfly

Post by mjdragonfly »

There seemed to be a lot of excitement over M390 but little for the North American made CTS204p wonder why it is supposed to be essentially the same steel? Seems like a top quality tough SS with overall excellent balance, don't know what the cost is like. I would be happy to try it in a Manix 2.
Calgary on the Bow
Donut

Post by Donut »

xceptnl wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:18 pm
bh49 wrote:
I agree with Roman. I wouldn't brand it as the best, however it does make my top 5 list of steels I prefer to have in my collection. Purely because i find it sharpens as easy as S30V yet holds a working edge far longer. I haven't been fortunate to try it in a custom heat treat yet to know what it is really capable of ranking.
We're all entitled to our wrong opinions, but judging steel on wear resistance is like judging a sandwich based off of the quantity of meat.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Donut wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:29 pm
xceptnl wrote:
bh49 wrote:
We're all entitled to our wrong opinions, but judging steel on wear resistance is like judging a sandwich based off of the quantity of meat.
So then which steel is best?
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Donut

Post by Donut »

koenigsegg wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:42 pm
Donut wrote:
xceptnl wrote:
bh49 wrote:
So then which steel is best?
It's different for everyone based off of what they need, but you would think corrosion resistance or ease of sharpening would be very high on the priority list.

If you base it on edge retention alone, a lot of people would be carrying ceramic knives.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
mjdragonfly

Post by mjdragonfly »

Different blades for different jobs or interests. For me I am interested in overall edge retention fineness of edge sharpening ease and edge stability. No specific order there. I have S110V, ZDP-189 and Maxamet so what's next? Don't know if Rex121 would be a large enough difference over Maxamet to tempt me but I guess if it was available I would consider it? Those three are a tough act to follow in a folding knife I don't see toughness as too much of an issue. If I had a hefty fixed blade I would be interested in 3V (or similar) seems like a tough steel on steroids.
Calgary on the Bow
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Donut wrote:
xceptnl wrote:
bh49 wrote:
Brian,
I will be glad to hear your opinion. Do not be shy. :) My experience with 204P is very limited (to one knife :D )
Roman

Donut

Post by Donut »

bh49 wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:24 pm
Brian,
I will be glad to hear your opinion. Do not be shy. :) My experience with 204P is very limited (to one knife :D )
Roman
You know Roman, I don't even know. I have a Para 2 and Military in CTS-204P, but I'm not a big fan of the Para 2 or the Military. (I'm a collector of Military sprints, but it is rare that I carry one.)

CTS-204P is supposed to be very similar to M390.

I used the M390 Para 2 and it is a good all around steel. It sharpens easy, holds an edge well and resists corrosion well, but I wouldn't call it really good at any one thing. Probably the easy sharpening is what is the best out of M390.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

a great American steel for a great American knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Donut

Post by Donut »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:46 pm
You're right, but I thought CTS-XHP was the great American steel. :P
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Manix 2 is my favorite folding Spyderco. 204P (or M390 or 20CV) would be an instant buy.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Donut wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:28 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:46 pm
You're right, but I thought CTS-XHP was the great American steel. :P
It certainly is that. I happen to like that steel a lot and would love to see the LW upgraded to this as a basic offering.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050