Spydie Hole sharp edges

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Hopweaver

Spydie Hole sharp edges

Post by Hopweaver »

What's the best way to soften the edges on the Spydie Hole? The edges on my new PPT S90V Sprint are a little sharp and dig into my thumb. I'm looking for the preferred way to smooth them out a bit.
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
mjdragonfly

Re: Spydie Hole sharp edges

Post by mjdragonfly »

A small diamond file is what I use and I also install sharpening choils with the file or you could use the corner of a honing stone that would work just about as well.
Calgary on the Bow
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I take sandpaper, roll it into a cone shape and then just turn it inside the hole on one side and then again on the other. Don’t use anything too corse.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

I had a similar problem with the Chaparral. 1500 grit automotive sandpaper was all that was needed. Five minutes was about all it took. To look at it you can't see any difference, but it made all the difference in the world to the way the knife felt.

Grizz
sal

Post by sal »

Be careful not to make them too smooth. The sharp edges re needed for purchase to keep the thumb from slipping out of the hole.

sal
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

sal wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:58 pm
Be careful not to make them too smooth. The sharp edges re needed for purchase to keep the thumb from slipping out of the hole.

sal
I second that. I like an acute edge for just that reason.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Toughen up those fingers. Just kidding, but I've always felt that my sharpest spydie holes feel smoother after awhile. First thought is that my fingers are smoothing them but I think my fingers just get tougher.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
jacala

Post by jacala »

Hand chamfer them with a countersink bit.
IOW, hold the bit in your hand and chamfer the holes a little at a time
until they are what you like.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

sal wrote:

sal
I like 'em sharp! I have one knife that I bought second hand that was a little too smooth. I didn't like my thumb slipping out. So I resharpened with a little sandpaper and it's much better now.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
toocool006

Post by toocool006 »

I'm curious why there is such a variation in smoothness of holes across different models. If the intention is for a sharp edge to help give the thumb purchase, wouldn't all spyder holes come as sharp as the ones on my sage and chaparral? Of course it could just be my copies, but for example my ukpk and urban are considerably smoother, and my techno appears to be purposely very smoothed and chamfered. Perhaps different models just require different degrees of purchase for Sal's optimal deployment, or there are different tooling abilities and preferences between factories?
~andrew
vivi

Post by vivi »

sal wrote:

sal
I'll second this. In over 200 Spydercos I've had at one point, only one needed this treatment. I spent about two minutes with some 1000 grit sandpaper rolled into a tube and it was perfect.

It's a lot easier to smooth one out a bit more than it is to sharpen one.
:unicorn
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

sal wrote:

sal
Thanks Sal. I will be careful and channel my inner "Less is more" mantra. Or I might wait until Blade Show to see what you think about the edges before I try something unnecessary.
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Hopweaver wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:13 am
sal wrote:

sal
Thanks Sal. I will be careful and channel my inner "Less is more" mantra. Or I might wait until Blade Show to see what you think about the edges before I try something unnecessary.
Hey Hopweaver, i too agree with Sal's recommendation to show restraint. If the edges are very sharp it could be the result of a tiny burr and there's no harm in removing that yourself. But yeah, stick with that less is more mantra. Easier to take steel off than it is to put it back on. I would recommend a very light grit paper like 600 rolled around a small pencil or metal rod and just give a couple of light passes around the rim on each side. Because you are only contacting the corner of metal around the rim of the hole it will take very little contact to have an effect. Make a couple of passes and stick it in your pocket and carry it a week. If after a week you still feel it needs to be smoother then go at it again. Just my idea. :)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

toocool006 wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:59 pm
I'm curious why there is such a variation in smoothness of holes across different models. If the intention is for a sharp edge to help give the thumb purchase, wouldn't all spyder holes come as sharp as the ones on my sage and chaparral? Of course it could just be my copies, but for example my ukpk and urban are considerably smoother, and my techno appears to be purposely very smoothed and chamfered. Perhaps different models just require different degrees of purchase for Sal's optimal deployment, or there are different tooling abilities and preferences between factories?

I suspect it's mostly a result of how the hole is cut (laser, waterjet, etc.) and how the blade is finished afterward. Pretty sure either the person doing the finishing, or the age/condition of the wheel being used to polish the blade can also be factors as there are several models I have quite a few of, all in the same steel, and the "crispness" of the edge of their Spyderholes varies.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:

sal
Yep. I actually do the opposite and deliberately sharpen mine when they aren't crisp enough for my liking. I find it's especially helpful when wearing gloves and I've never cut my bare thumb.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I use the end of the UF sharpmaker rod
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

I just use a bare Allen wrench with nothing wrapped wrapped around it's shaft, insert it through the Spydie hole at an angle, and give it a few passes around the rim on each side just to break any burr that might need there.
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

My recently purchased Delica 4’s had vary sharp Spydie holes, didn’t like it at all.
Jase

Current:
Para 3 LWT & Delica 4 Damascus KnifeJoy Exclusive

On The Hunt For:
Delica 4 Sprints & Exclusives (Background here...viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85708)

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive