Chaparral Handle Materials

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MichaelScott

Re: Chaparral Handle Materials

Post by MichaelScott »

Doc, that really rings the “fish scales” bell in my head. Not a good tone either.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

MichaelScott wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:13 am
Doc, that really rings the “fish scales” bell in my head. Not a good tone either.
or these charming little fellows:

Stabilized wood scales, please. Many choices preferred over most pakkawood/dymondwood variants. (Spyderco needs to choose something with supplier uniformity/reliability with machining over a large run to minimize loss. Many burl woods, stabilized, would be nice, but can have issues leading to tearout etc.)

Micarta of any type, which is adequately cooperative to Spyderco milling and machining, vis a vis previous issues with Lum fixed paper Micarta, the "moon" Solos, come Calys, etc.

Green or blue Nishijin, kudasai.

Thanks for listening, Sal.

a n.on
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Stabilized Snakewood, Micarta (of any kind), or bronze lightning strike carbon fiber would be awesome.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

That Nishijin is a nifty idea.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
ronT2

Post by ronT2 »

SpyderNut wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:03 pm
Stabilized Snakewood, Micarta (of any kind), or bronze lightning strike carbon fiber would be awesome.

That would be really nice, or something like cocobolo.
My EDC rotation: Kapara, Chaparral CF, Mantra, Sage 1, Sage 5, Dice, Domino, Gayle Bradley 2, PakkaDelica, Native CFF
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Wood scales would be nice but which one that's both attractive and hard enough not to crack since the scales will be fairly thin.

Personally, I prefer darker shades of wood.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

The Chaparral models cover a broad spectrum of street pricing (35% off MSRP):
  • FRN $87.72
  • CF/G-10 Laminate $127.37
  • Raffir Noble $129.97
  • Stealth Titanium $211.22
  • Stepped Titanium $367.22
  • Blue Stepped Titanium $367.22
Price-wise, a G-10 model would fit in well between the FRN and CF/G-10 Laminate models and a wood model between Raffir Noble and Stealth Titanium.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

SpyderNut wrote:
Snakewood, yes. (non-stabilized Squeakwood below the Chappie frn...)

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

nicked.onaut wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:25 pm
SpyderNut wrote:
Snakewood, yes. (non-stabilized Squeakwood below the Chappie frn...)

That is beautiful, sir. Very well done!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Some thoughts from Sal from another thread (//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... =2&t=78151) earlier this month:
sal wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:16 am
Hi Jackh,

Welcome to our forum.

The Chaparral project was a very long in development. The design philosophy was based on the size that will be acceptable and politically correct 10 years from now. The ergos are good for most hands. The mid back-lock functional, safe and with a strong self close. It's not a tactical design, but more of an EDC that will perform the daily cutting chores at work, play and food prep. Exotic versions like the machined Ti, pocket jewelry with the carbon and Rafir. I'd like to add some woods. The FRN just made a lot of sense for me. Hope you enjoy it. Let us know your thoughts.,

sal
sal wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:33 am
Hi Attila,

Right now, my thoughts are towards a new stabilized wood that we're testing. If it works in Golden, then we'll try some Chaparral's. Our success rate for natural woods (not pakkawood) has been poor. Woods used in a humid climate, and then shipped to a dry climate have resulted in cracking.

sal
ronT2

Post by ronT2 »

sal wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:33 am
Hi Attila,

Right now, my thoughts are towards a new stabilized wood that we're testing. If it works in Golden, then we'll try some Chaparral's. Our success rate for natural woods (not pakkawood) has been poor. Woods used in a humid climate, and then shipped to a dry climate have resulted in cracking.

sal

That sounds promising. I'll be looking forward to it!!
My EDC rotation: Kapara, Chaparral CF, Mantra, Sage 1, Sage 5, Dice, Domino, Gayle Bradley 2, PakkaDelica, Native CFF