Spyderco Dragon, anyone?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Termite Toothpick

Spyderco Dragon, anyone?

Post by Termite Toothpick »

I just know that if this would happen, I would be all in.

I'd call it the Dragon...I know, I know, very original! But with all the Lil's and the XLs and Shaman I'm not asking much, right?

Scanned image of DF2 @ 125%
Dragonfly G-10, Blurple PM2, Para3, Jani-Song, Dragonfly2 ZDP-189, Lil' Native, Chaparral LW, Delica WC HAP40, Para3 M4, HH UKPK S30V, Para3 LW, Para3 LW M390, Meerkat V-TOKU2, M4 Sage 5 LW, Urban Ivory Damasteel, Leaf Storm

:bug-white-red -Derek
benben

Re: Spyderco Dragon, anyone?

Post by benben »

Count me in too, I've probably posted here 10 times (?) in the past several years about a larger Dragonfly.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I am a HUGE fan of this idea :eek: I keep saying that the Dfly2 design, which is brilliant BTW, deserves a slightly larger platform. This could turn into a big hit, mark my words. I just pray and hope that Sal would take this into consideration :spyder:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Personally, I don't like the idea of taking a design and just scaling it up or down without any other changes. It's not a good way to approach a new model. The words "half assed" and "lazy" come to mind when I see other manufacturers release two IDENTICAL models, just different sizes.

Look at the Shaman and the Native 5 for example. The Shaman is much more than just a scaled up Native 5, but for all intents and purposes that is how it can be viewed.
-Nick :bug-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If it were an honest increase in dimensions the way you have it pictured then I'd be interested but sometimes things get tweaked when changing sizes and the feeling is lost.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Termite Toothpick

Post by Termite Toothpick »

Oh, I so agree Mushroom! This would need to have a compression lock and a few tweaks to make it better than just an up scaled DF2, but the main shape and idea remains the same.
Dragonfly G-10, Blurple PM2, Para3, Jani-Song, Dragonfly2 ZDP-189, Lil' Native, Chaparral LW, Delica WC HAP40, Para3 M4, HH UKPK S30V, Para3 LW, Para3 LW M390, Meerkat V-TOKU2, M4 Sage 5 LW, Urban Ivory Damasteel, Leaf Storm

:bug-white-red -Derek
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

If this idea would be adopted, I wonder what the chances are they would be made in Golden...
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

I think the real genius of the Dragonfly design is the way it gives a place for the pinky on a knife handle that would usually be too short. I'm not sure that angle at the base even works when the handle is actually big enough to fill the palm.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I still think this is a good idea and if it were in linerless G10 it would be even better.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:28 am
Personally, I don't like the idea of taking a design and just scaling it up or down without any other changes. It's not a good way to approach a new model. The words "half assed" and "lazy" come to mind when I see other manufacturers release two IDENTICAL models, just different sizes.

Look at the Shaman and the Native 5 for example. The Shaman is much more than just a scaled up Native 5, but for all intents and purposes that is how it can be viewed.
Agreed. Well put.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Eh, it worked really well on the Kiwi 4. That one didn't sell more because of price and the lack of "gents knife appeal" but the idea of increasing the size without any other major changes did work.
~David
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd want it to stay a back lock.

I'd buy one for sure, though.
timlara

Post by timlara »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:15 am
Eh, it worked really well on the Kiwi 4. That one didn't sell more because of price and the lack of "gents knife appeal" but the idea of increasing the size without any other major changes did work.
I agree - I kind of think the Kiwi 4 was an example where it would have sold better if they had upscaled it with chamfered/contoured scales and/or higher end materials. As it was, it was too "Kiwi-like" for the "tacticool" crowd, but not fancy enough for the original Kopa/Kiwi fans. Understandably, though, it's a huge risk to make a new model really fancy as then the high price might also mean it doesn't sell.
Tim
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

timlara wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:51 am
Evil D wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:15 am
I agree - I kind of think the Kiwi 4 was an example where it would have sold better if they had upscaled it with chamfered/contoured scales and/or higher end materials. As it was, it was too "Kiwi-like" for the "tacticool" crowd, but not fancy enough for the original Kopa/Kiwi fans. Understandably, though, it's a huge risk to make a new model really fancy as then the high price might also mean it doesn't sell.
It was also around $100 which put it in competition with the Para 2 and others, so it wasn't getting sales for that reason and wasn't getting gents knife sales because it was plain black G10. I love mine but it did leave some potential on the table.
~David
Carlito555

Post by Carlito555 »

Yup, I would be in...love it and thanks for the virtual image too
Carlito555

Post by Carlito555 »

I think it could even go a little bigger 3.25 or 3.5 blade
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I wouldn't want to see it bigger. I think something in the general size class of the Chap or Native is the right size. I'd love to see a Chap with ZDP, for example, and this would fit that niche. Is the market really there for something bigger than that, though?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I do wonder how this compares to the Native 5. They seem to be similar in size with just ergonomic differences.
~David
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

I'd most likely go for it once it would make it to FRN possibly Salt production, I think the FRN Chaparral and the upcoming Jerry Brouwer will have me sorted for the size range until then.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'd support it if the Dragonfly handle had ever made sense to my hand. The handle is much too narrow where my ring and middle fingers go on that model, opposed to the ergos of the Caly jr and Urban, which are thicker there.

If I were going to carry a knife that size a Dragonfly XL wouldn't be the one. It'd probably be the Caly Jr sprint coming up.

Compared to the Para 3 above, note how the handle bulges where those two finger go? Handles designed like that make a lot more sense to me, considering my middle finger is the longest on my hand. Why give the longest finger the most narrow gripping area?

Tried to love the DFly but I gifted my one and only.

hey guys, I just wanted to let you know I have big hands. :unicorn