Southard, Chokwe ... musings

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sequimite

Southard, Chokwe ... musings

Post by Sequimite »

Taking out the trash this morning I was cutting up a big double corrugated box with my Southard and suddenly realized that I've been using this knife for six years. Where has the time gone? I'm down to about two dozen Spydercos and some customs and the Southard was one of the last ones I bought. Great for back pocket carry and one of the slimmest for front pocket carry.

I brought a Chokwe with me for kitchen and general duty when I recently spent three months caring for my father in Boynton Beach. It was a great utility kitchen knife and along with the All-Clad 2.5 quart pot made for a versatile one man cooking tool kit.

Ti Military, Kreined Barong, Forum Native 5, Lil' Temp, Super Blue Caly 3.5, ZPD Stretch, PPT, 204P Para are favorites. I won't get into the dozen+ fixed blades. In general I am so satisfied with how these suit my personal inclinations that I've lost my lust after sampling well over one-hundred Spydies and whittling down to these. I also have slip joints but pretty much only carry a custom 3.5" re-curve and the hundred year old stag handled J A Henckels which belonged to my father's father.

I still read up on the new models and occasionally feel the stirring of knife desire. I still want a Warrior and will buy a few more one of these years, maybe finally get to the factory seconds sale. I miss the interactions on this forum and chatting with Sal, Eric, Ed and others at the OKCA show. I'm currently active on Astronomy, Drum and Guitar forums, which are all very nice communities.

Have fun all and thanks for the memories.
SF Native

Re: Southard, Chokwe ... musings

Post by SF Native »

Sounds like you are in a good place and have a nice collection.
Don’t be a stranger. Hang out a while.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Good to hear that your knives have truly served you well!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
vivi

Post by vivi »

I can relate.

I've had many moments in my life where I felt 100% content with my knife collection and I didn't care about new releases.

I can almost say that now. Except I own too many knives.

When it comes to Spyderco, I can meet all my needs with a pair of Pacific Salts and Aqua Salts (PE and SE of each), and a single Swick. Everything else is fluff.

It can be difficult to maintain a desire to engage in daily knife discussion under those circumstances. I feel like everyone on /r/knifeclub is drooling over the latest Ti flipper and here I am wondering why no one posts photos of knives that look like they've ever seen a ****** bench stone.

But this place is different. This is one of the few knife forums I've participated in where I feel like it's all like-minded people nerding out over something they love. On a lot of over forums it feels like it's all about show and one-upping each other.

/ramble
:unicorn
araneae

Post by araneae »

Hey, long time no see. Don't be a stranger.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Fortunate for you and your father you were able give him care. The Chokwe is one of those knives that is deceiving. Doesn't look like it would be comfortable in the hand, but is. A great slicer. Just don't drop it on those tile floors. :) Hope your dad is doing well. Can be difficult on the family when parents age. Been there. Be well.