Endura and Delica Models: Which "era" is your favorite?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Endura and Delica Models: Which "era" is your favorite?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I was looking at some pictures of some of the original Spyderco Endura and Delica folders, and comparing them to the present/current version of each; the current version has the more pronounced Saber Grind, but there are also the full flat ground ones.

Which Endura and Delica pairs are your favorites? The original models seemed to lack the pronounced thick saber grind and had different handle configurations, as well.

Also, which of the steel types used on the Endura/Delica were your favorites?
Northglenn500

Re: Endura and Delica Models: Which "era" is your favorite?

Post by Northglenn500 »

I love the way the original G2 and AUS-8 models feel. The handles are just a little thicker, and the plastic clips don't bite like the metal ones sometimes do. The blade steels might not be as good as whats available now, but I remember at the time, I felt so cool with an Endura in my pocket. These were so far ahead of anything else available.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I don't care for Delicas, always felt small and awkward for me.

I love gen 3 Enduras. I prefer the current full flat grinds, otherwise I prefer everything from that era. Proper knife tip, better ergos, lighter, less abrasive on pockets etc.

Full flat grind LC200N Endura 3 would be a perfect EDC folder IMO. Of course I can always regrind the tip on the upcoming Pacific Salt and have the same thing :D
:unicorn
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I have owned Delicas since the original. While I liked the pointier tip on the earlier versions, the current Delica 4 is my favorite version so far.
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

1st generation for sentimental reasons as a Delica was my first Spyderco and introduced me to one hand opening and pocket clips. My SE Delica was well abused. My gen 1 Endura saw a lot of good camping too.

3rd generation because I like the pointy tip and the ergos of the handle more than the gen 4 (satisfied with ATS 55) - only have a PE and SE Delica

4th generation for the full flat grind (love VG10) - have multiple Ds and Es and prefer my Delicas with aftermarket scales.

Guess the short answer is I don’t really have a favorite.
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

Gen 3 with out a doubt. The ergos are better while being thinner in the pocket, the Volcano texture provides plenty of grip. The barrel clip is a really elegant design that is hard to appreciate without using it. I also tend to prefer more point at the tip which the Gen 3 has but I favor a FFG over hollow. I feel the same way about the Native 4 VS 5. Had they kept everything and gone to a FFG it would have been perfect...actually I didn't even mind the hollow grind. :D
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Gen3 Endura in ATS55 serrated is awesome. I hunted one for a long time since they were released before me becoming a Spyderco fan and I finally got one from the bay. Now, it’s time for a Gen3 Delica. Love them :spyder:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

The 3rd generation with OD handles and black combo blade...that thing is HOT! If only it came in plain edge...
-Brian

Son's Collection: H1 Rescue Manbug, Tenacious

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

thewoodpecker wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:25 am
Gen 3 with out a doubt. The ergos are better while being thinner in the pocket, the Volcano texture provides plenty of grip. The barrel clip is a really elegant design that is hard to appreciate without using it. I also tend to prefer more point at the tip which the Gen 3 has but I favor a FFG over hollow. I feel the same way about the Native 4 VS 5. Had they kept everything and gone to a FFG it would have been perfect...actually I didn't even mind the hollow grind. :D
We think very much alike. I prefer the linerless aspect of the Gen 3 Delica to the latest Gen 4. Features like the more acute tip and barrel clip also make the 3rd Gen better IMHO. That being said, I own (have owned) almost a dozen of the D4s so go figure....
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Kevhead

Post by Kevhead »

I own a 4 that is a saber grind and a clipit 1 combo edge. I just bought them both recently, the clipit was used in like new condition. The biggest differences are that the 4 has a longer grippier handle, jimping,4 way metal clip , dented lock back, and less pointed tip.

They are both quality, well made knives. The 4 is a little less smooth to open but I’m assuming it’s because it’s new. One benefit to the clipit is the plastic clip looks more like a Sharpie clip than a knife clip. I’m equally happy to have either one in my pocket.
vivi

Post by vivi »

thewoodpecker wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:25 am
The barrel clip is hands down my favorite design. It never seems to wiggle loose even without loc-tite, and two coins are all you need to mess with it. Having the handle recessed seems to make it more secure too.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Gen 3 is my favorite for all the reasons mentioned above.
ATS-55 ? Just an added benefit. :cool:
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

shunsui wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:07 pm
Gen 3 is my favorite for all the reasons mentioned above.
ATS-55 ? Just an added benefit. :cool:
No experience with ATS-55 but put CPM154/RWL34 in a full flat grind in that handle and it might be as close to perfect as can be IMO. I do like the Boye Dent on the lock bar a la the Pacific.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Generation 3 without any doubt and for the reasons you read above in posts of other members.
Dream generation 3 would be one with a pointy full flat grind blade in VG-10 and orange FRN-handle.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Gen 3 volcano texture Delica

Might have been my gateway drug. ;)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Gen 4 for the FFG and 4-way clip option. I also prefer the bidirectional texture to the volcano pattern, it feels more secure. That said, the barrel bolt clip attachment is genius and ticks the box if tip up is your thing. Pointy tip on gen 3 is nice but easy to get back in gen 4 with a little work. I totally understand why they had to strengthen the tip on their very popular models. Not all users are careful with knives.
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

The first Endura ruined all interest in Endura and Delica for 20 years! I picked up an Endura because it seemed like a high tech advance of the Police Model. Which I had been carrying EDC for 6 years. The pocket clip broke off seemingly quickly. I replaced it and the clip broke again! Done. Didn't consider them real knives anymore.

I didn't get another Endura till 2015,and only because I wanted to try ZDP-189. Picked up my first Delica in 2016 because if ZDP-189 too.
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

To the fans of the early generations - where do you stand on jimping? Personally I prefer a lot of the older models because they didn’t have jimping. The only Delica 4 I have without jimping is my Kahr.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Gen 3 but also like the FFG at times so really hoping for the Pacific Salt in LC200N to be available in PE, SE & CE.

For me the main advantage of the Gen 4 is the 4 way clip option since I prefer tip down.
vivi

Post by vivi »

PSquared wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:04 pm
To the fans of the early generations - where do you stand on jimping? Personally I prefer a lot of the older models because they didn’t have jimping. The only Delica 4 I have without jimping is my Kahr.
I don't care about jimping myself. I have a Pacific Salt with the old blocky jimping in my EDC rotation, along with the current style, along with knives with no jimping. They all work fine for me.