Which knife S110V

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gull wing

Which knife S110V

Post by gull wing »

I'm convinced now I can handle S110V steel so which one.
Not interested in a 3 1/2" blade.
I've zeroed in on the Para 3 and Native 5.
Native 5:
Nice looking shape, sleek. Not too wide when closed. Easy carry.

Para 3:
I just like the overall looks of this knife. Like the compression lock. Should be a bit more rugged.
:confused: That cyclops eye of a lanyard???? The clip has to be changed, too much clip.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Spydersense

Re: Which knife S110V

Post by Spydersense »

Para 3 with an MXG clip is my recommendation.

Comp lock is king in my book. :D
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
Chumango

Post by Chumango »

I have the N5 LW and Para 3 in S110v. Both are nice - the choice boils down to the attributes that are important to you. The N5 does carry smaller, and actually has a slightly longer usable handle, although the Para 3 fits my hand a tad better. The handle shape is pretty similar if you overlay and compare them. I carry the N5 more often. The edge length of the Para 3 is slightly longer. Small differences.

I think the N5 is more solid than the Para 3, especially the G10 version.

If you are talking about the G10 N5 it is heavier than the Para 3.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I'm a fan of both models and I don't think you can go wrong with either. The N5 LW is surprisingly strong for such a light weight knife but the Para 3 feels a little more solid when cutting thick cardboard etc. Honestly, I think the Native 5 G10 (with liners) would be closer to the Para 3 in terms of ruggedness.

I really like the compression lock when the everything's tuned correctly but it's hard to beat the refined back lock on the Native 5s.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

no love for the ukpk s110v? lightweight, wire clip, thin blade stock. underrated knife IMO.
Para 3 s110v, if ukpk is a no.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:17 pm
no love for the ukpk s110v? lightweight, wire clip, thin blade stock. underrated knife IMO.
This ^
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:17 pm
S110V UKPK is one best values Spyderco has. Definitely one to consider.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Solid advice!
Thank you.
It may come down to lock preference. I sometimes have difficulties unlocking back locks if they are too stiff(surgery).
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

gull wing wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:29 am
...I sometimes have difficulties unlocking back locks if they are too stiff(surgery).
I know what you mean but I don't think you'll have that problem with a Native 5. The lock bar is fairly wide and none of mine feel overly stiff.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Of those two, I picked the Native (in LW). I've tried to love the PM series, and I just can't. Different folks, as they say...
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Decided on the Para 3, but not picking it up right away.
Working on a "clip" solution:
The MXG clip (nice looking)looks to have a high rise and may interfere with hand comfort, as the stock clip does only at a different spot on the hand.
I can make my own titanium clip, (not deep carry), but that would require drilling and tapping at the new location.

Letting this take a rest.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Native 5 forest green linerless G10 S90V. Very strong, similar to S110V, and lighter in weight than standard N5, same weight as the Para 3. All in all a rugged knife, I suspect. https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP41GP ... -exclusive

I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Para3 is the better platform IMO. It has a longer cutting edge, it’s thinner behind the edge and has a more versatile lock to name just a few pluses.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

elena86 wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:08 pm
Para3 is the better platform IMO. It has a longer cutting edge, it’s thinner behind the edge and has a more versatile lock to name just a few pluses.
Though I disagree with Marius about the lock (I love a well executed backlock and the Native is the best in the business) I agree that the para3 is the better overall platform. One thing Marius didn't mention which is the biggest issue to me is that I can still get a full grip behind the choil on the para3 where the Native forces me to use the finger choil in order to get a full grip. If you don't typically use a knife in the "choked up" grip then you might favor the Para3.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

FWIW I have the mxg short clip on my para 3 and it is very comfortable in hand. Doesn't interfere with my grip. Harder to use the lanyard hole though, if you're into lanyards.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Native 5 LW is my vote
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Surfingringo wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:11 pm
elena86 wrote:
Though I disagree with Marius about the lock (I love a well executed backlock and the Native is the best in the business) I agree that the para3 is the better overall platform. One thing Marius didn't mention which is the biggest issue to me is that I can still get a full grip behind the choil on the para3 where the Native forces me to use the finger choil in order to get a full grip. If you don't typically use a knife in the "choked up" grip then you might favor the Para3.

I didn't say the comp lock is the better lock but... "more versatile"...maybe I should have said "more fun to play with" :)
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

elena86 wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:48 pm
Surfingringo wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:11 pm
elena86 wrote:

I didn't say the comp lock is the better lock but... "more versatile"...maybe I should have said "more fun to play with" :)
Haha. I agree "more fun to play with" is a more accurate description. :D

By the way, when I said that the Native backlock was the best in the business I simply meant that is is the best example of a backlock that I have ever owned.
Native555

Post by Native555 »

My first post on this forum.
I own four para 3's and five native 5's, including S110V with G10 for both models and S110V with FRN for native. Honestly, I love them both and you definitely won't go wrong choosing either. If I have to choose one over the other, I would say go with native 5. Native 5 with S110V and G10 is flawless IMHO. It feels more solid and carries better than para 3. I do love the full-shaped stainless steel liners on native 5 and the fit & finish is second to none. BTW, the blade steel on native 5 is slightly better. Para 3 is more fun for sure, but who cares If a workhorse is flickable or not anyway. In most of the time it just sits in our pocket, right?
Hope it can help.
Ric

Post by Ric »

I prefer compression lock over backlock any day.
My only great backlock is the Dfly.

Never handled N5 but Para 3 is perfect!