Spyderco and the "Sharpened Pry Bar" discussion thread.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
User avatar
Tims
Member
Posts: 423
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:25 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Spyderco and the "Sharpened Pry Bar" discussion thread.

Postby Tims » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:06 pm

A tall CNC hollow grind would be a sweet thing, I'll second that EvilD

User avatar
SpyderEdgeForever
Member
Posts: 6301
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:53 pm
Location: USA

Re: Spyderco and the "Sharpened Pry Bar" discussion thread.

Postby SpyderEdgeForever » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:43 pm

Evil D wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:41 pm
I'd like to see Spyderco make a tall leaf shaped blade (taller than most) with a very high hollow grind, high enough that it's almost a full hollow but on a tall enough blade that it can be thin enough to slice well without being a door stop. Then they could make the blade 5mm thick and beefy enough to beat to death.
This is interesting, David! You continue to expand my knife-knowledge horizons. Are you saying that it is possible to make a hollow ground blade that is still thick, in that 5 mm range of thickness? I would love to see someone make an image of this blade because it sounds excellent.

I also think the Caspian Salt is an almost "Ideal Spyderco Prybar Knife" or at least one of them.

User avatar
xceptnl
Member
Posts: 8350
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:48 pm
Location: Tobacco Country, Virginia
Contact:

Re: Spyderco and the "Sharpened Pry Bar" discussion thread.

Postby xceptnl » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:12 pm

I've been wanting a high hollow for a while from Spyderco. Like David said, not full hollow, but really high. I see no need for much more than 4-5mm of flat near the spine.
Image
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 20140
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: Spyderco and the "Sharpened Pry Bar" discussion thread.

Postby Evil D » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:10 pm

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:43 pm
Evil D wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:41 pm
I'd like to see Spyderco make a tall leaf shaped blade (taller than most) with a very high hollow grind, high enough that it's almost a full hollow but on a tall enough blade that it can be thin enough to slice well without being a door stop. Then they could make the blade 5mm thick and beefy enough to beat to death.
This is interesting, David! You continue to expand my knife-knowledge horizons. Are you saying that it is possible to make a hollow ground blade that is still thick, in that 5 mm range of thickness? I would love to see someone make an image of this blade because it sounds excellent.

I also think the Caspian Salt is an almost "Ideal Spyderco Prybar Knife" or at least one of them.
The problem with thick blades is they slice like crap. The way most companies try to get around that is with a hollow grind, but most of them are done on narrow height blades so the transition from edge to spine is very abrupt and so they wedge when slicing rigid materials. If a blade is tall enough in height it gives the grind enough room to transition up to the spine so it isn't as prone to wedging. This way you can have a thick spine and still be thin enough behind the edge to slice decently. CRK do this with their knives already but I think Spyderco can do it better with a broad leaf shaped blade because the grind will have even more distance to transition.

Basically the same as this but these are flat grinds, the same applies to hollow though. Blade height makes all the difference in the world when it comes to slicing ability. You can have the same spine thickness or even thicker and the taller blade will slice better every time because the geometry is thinner. These are the same thickness at the spine.

Image
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

RLR
Member
Posts: 771
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am

Re: Spyderco and the "Sharpened Pry Bar" discussion thread.

Postby RLR » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:37 pm

I wanted a legit, sharpened chisel pry-bar for heavy duty yard tasks. I came up with design and a friend knife maker of mine made it. CKE (Craig Wheatley) nailed it. It’s my Reiði model. I figured 1/4” stock was beefy enough ;)
471C289B-9A24-4868-BAFC-752C06BF165D.jpeg
4FAFA9CF-311F-4EC0-8638-56A380732E98.jpeg
RLR
Attachments
C76263E2-5263-40DB-91D3-1E970ED21443.jpeg
5C445C7A-1E52-4CF9-9E86-1FC3B3A1C455.jpeg
5089477D-635C-4C4C-9651-6F6B9E982DB5.jpeg
Last edited by RLR on Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
PayneTrain
Member
Posts: 1495
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:30 pm
Location: CT

Re: Spyderco and the "Sharpened Pry Bar" discussion thread.

Postby PayneTrain » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:09 pm

Yeesh. I shudder at the thought of using any folding knife as a pry bar no matter how thick the blade or suggestive the name (looking at you, Tuff).

I have a sharpened pry bar. It's called a Ranger Falcon by Ontario. It's 1/4" thick 5160 with something of an edge. It's awesome at everything except what I want a pocket knife to do. Great companion to any Spyderco!

The suggestion of Spyderco making such a knife should take into account the price of these fine steels. The Ontario was $60. I can't imagine paying the price of a similar mass of a Spyderco-caliber steel to do such brute force work that will destroy the edge of any steel. Maybe they could out-design it, but in choice of materials and value it's going to be tough to beat.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."

RLR
Member
Posts: 771
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am

Re: Spyderco and the "Sharpened Pry Bar" discussion thread.

Postby RLR » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:42 pm

I tried to edit and remove the duplicate images but I can’t get it to work. So, enjoy or disregard the duplicates in my last post.

nicked.onaut
Member
Posts: 453
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:47 am

Re: Spyderco and the "Sharpened Pry Bar" discussion thread.

Postby nicked.onaut » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:46 pm

"Could you hand me a crescent wrench please?"

"Sure, large or small?"

"The large one. I'm going to use it as a hammer anyway."

Tool rule no. two: Use the right tool.
My knife is for cutting. Try a mini prybar for light prying commensurate with the level of a knife used to pry.
The new clipitools have short flat screwgie blades suitable for light prying. (Badern: "Got a screwgie?" lol)

I have old Caspian Salt 2s which are capable of prying, and also both the large and small Dive Probes from way back before the California restrictions. Those abalone irons make *giant* prybars and the knives are anything but pocket friendly for normal human carry.

just get a mini prybar... some will fit in a wallet with no fuss.

2", 3", 4" below:
Image

User avatar
razorsharp
Member
Posts: 3061
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:41 pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: Spyderco and the "Sharpened Pry Bar" discussion thread.

Postby razorsharp » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:54 am

Wouldnt consider stuff like the super leaf and shaman prybars. They are just wide blade that are FFG but reasonably thin behind the edge.

User avatar
bearfacedkiller
Member
Posts: 8753
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:22 pm
Location: hiding in the woods...

Re: Spyderco and the "Sharpened Pry Bar" discussion thread.

Postby bearfacedkiller » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:30 am

Lionspy, Bradley Bowie, K2 and Para2
DSC03629_zpsxkdp6ea5.jpg
You can see how robust the blade is on the Lionspy. It has the sturdiest blade of any Spydie I have handled. Unfortunately I do not carry it much as it isn't the best slicer.

When it comes to actually needing to pry something I usually use my Caplifter Clipitool. I carry this little guy all the time and it comes in so handy. I have used it to pry all sorts of things.
Image
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?

twinboysdad
Member
Posts: 2940
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:23 pm

Re: Spyderco and the "Sharpened Pry Bar" discussion thread.

Postby twinboysdad » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:45 am

Saber ground Enduras cut pretty poorly and are idiot proof

dogrunner
Member
Posts: 865
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:00 pm

Re: Spyderco and the "Sharpened Pry Bar" discussion thread.

Postby dogrunner » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:00 am

Is PRY really meant to be taken literally? Or just a sturdy blade that will stand up to hard-pressure cutting?
I mean, in an emergency we will use whatever we have and not worry (I hope) about the survival of the tool. In daily or even occasional spontaneous use, I think either a blade can take a little light "out-of-intended design" use, or we go get a more suitable tool. Spyderco makes a fair number of sturdy folders that can do the latter, and in a true emergency I will use even a Chaparral until it breaks, but for most any chores that require actual prying, I'm gonna use a screwdriver ;), err a prybar.

ThePeacent
Member
Posts: 2847
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:45 am
Location: Barcelona, Spain

Re: Spyderco and the "Sharpened Pry Bar" discussion thread.

Postby ThePeacent » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:00 am

blendergasket wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:06 pm
I'm about to head to the beach to camp for a few days and plan on doing lots of wood prep. I, for one, would love it if Spyderco had some sort of at least semi-stainless "sharpened pry bar" type knife I could bring with me that functioned well enough at everything from food prep to batoning.


I think what you want is this ;)

Image

User avatar
ZrowsN1s
Member
Posts: 4756
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:08 pm
Location: San Diego, California USA

Re: Spyderco and the "Sharpened Pry Bar" discussion thread.

Postby ZrowsN1s » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:15 pm

I used to cary thicker knives I could pry with, then I switched to carrying thinner knives, and a mini prybar/bottle opener/screwdriver (gerber shard) on my keychain. Thinner knives just cut better, and now I don't break tips prying or scratch the blade opening beers.
Carrying 3 knives is perfectly normal :D
-Matt

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 20140
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: Spyderco and the "Sharpened Pry Bar" discussion thread.

Postby Evil D » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:08 pm

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:15 pm
I used to cary thicker knives I could pry with, then I switched to carrying thinner knives, and a mini prybar/bottle opener/screwdriver (gerber shard) on my keychain. Thinner knives just cut better, and now I don't break tips prying or scratch the blade opening beers.
Same. My Victorinox Spirit has a pry tool I use pretty often. People like to use the "only tool" argument which is fine but I don't pay $200 for a knife that won't slice just so I can use it as the wrong tool. It's easy enough to carry a multitool.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

blendergasket
Member
Posts: 146
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:41 pm

Re: Spyderco and the "Sharpened Pry Bar" discussion thread.

Postby blendergasket » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:09 pm

ThePeacent wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:00 am
blendergasket wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:06 pm
I'm about to head to the beach to camp for a few days and plan on doing lots of wood prep. I, for one, would love it if Spyderco had some sort of at least semi-stainless "sharpened pry bar" type knife I could bring with me that functioned well enough at everything from food prep to batoning.


I think what you want is this ;)

Image
Wow. Yep. That'd do the trick... I'm gonna have to save up to get one of them off eBay.

ThePeacent
Member
Posts: 2847
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:45 am
Location: Barcelona, Spain

Re: Spyderco and the "Sharpened Pry Bar" discussion thread.

Postby ThePeacent » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:51 am

Evil D wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:08 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:15 pm
I used to cary thicker knives I could pry with, then I switched to carrying thinner knives, and a mini prybar/bottle opener/screwdriver (gerber shard) on my keychain. Thinner knives just cut better, and now I don't break tips prying or scratch the blade opening beers.
Same. My Victorinox Spirit has a pry tool I use pretty often. People like to use the "only tool" argument which is fine but I don't pay $200 for a knife that won't slice just so I can use it as the wrong tool. It's easy enough to carry a multitool.

the good ole prying tool :D

Image

VashHash
Member
Posts: 3447
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:49 pm
Location: Louisiana

Re: Spyderco and the "Sharpened Pry Bar" discussion thread.

Postby VashHash » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:00 am

I wouldn't recommend a rock salt for prying. It'll definitely bend. The hollow grind makes it very prone to warping the edge. I know from experience. It's a good chopper though just don't twist it in the cut. It splits coconuts and cuts chicken with no problem. I'm a firm believer of using a knife for cutting task. If i feel like I'll have to pry something I'll bring a proper tool. I usually have a SAK around anyway with a flat screw driver /mini pry bar. Bring back the Forrester in 3V. That should be able pry a lot. Jerry Hossom was a big fan of 3V.


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bearfacedkiller, buckleys, Cali HogHead, FullFlatMind, Google [Bot], legOFwhat?, Mushroom, rodloos, Wright.88 and 35 guests