Update - What Can I Do About This Squeaking??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JaseRicco

Re: WHAT CAN I DO ABOUT THIS SQUEAKING??

Post by JaseRicco »

gundamaniac wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:14 pm
I dunno, in that case I'd try to send it in to Spyderco and see if they can fix your Tenacious Exclusive. Sounds like you quite like the knife except for that issue, I would see what Spyderco can do for ya.
Ya, it’s the principle of the matter. Yes I am really fond of the knife, but since I literally just received the knife today, I shouldn’t have to sent it in for warranty work. Plus it’s going to cost me money to send it in to Spyderco, then I have to wait for them to fix it. I think best course of action will be to contact CutleryShoppe, which I will do in the am.

I do appreciate your time and suggestions though. Silver lining...another good discussion here at the Spydero Forum.
Jase

Current:
Para 3 LWT & Delica 4 Damascus KnifeJoy Exclusive

On The Hunt For:
Delica 4 Sprints & Exclusives (Background here...viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85708)

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

Good luck with getting the matter resolved. Gonna take a chance with another Tenacious Exclusive?
vivi

Post by vivi »

Strange issue. Never experienced that in any Cara Caras / Efficients / Tenaciouses...

Hope you get it resolved.
:unicorn
willc

Post by willc »

My Tenacious also had a high pitched squeak when I opened and closed it.
It stopped after a couple weeks of daily carry.

I’ve never heard anybody else with this issue till now.
The knife is now over 5 years old and I still use it even though I have 40 or so higher dollar Spydercos.

I may have used a bit of Tuff Glide on it but it worked itself out and it was pretty annoying, really high pitched whine.
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

What did you lube it with? What do you have on hand?
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

I've had this happen on my Resilience and a Cold Steel Recon 1,
tried the same to the same results

I resigned and carried both and opened them a few times and over the course of a week both knives stopped making the noise. I guess they just needed to break in or there was something embedded inside that fell out, but this could be a different thing.

Good luck with whatever you do, the Tenacious is a good knife!
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Sounds there is a very small mouse in your knife, try putting some tainted cheese beside it at night. Or find some cats and let them have a go.
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

gundamaniac wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:15 am
Good luck with getting the matter resolved. Gonna take a chance with another Tenacious Exclusive?
Thanks bub. I wasn’t going to take a chance on another one, but CutleryShoppe hit me with some stellar customer service. I spoke with Jeff regarding the issue yesterday, when his suggestion didn't work I figured I’d call him back to let him know, and inquire about sending the knife back. He thanked me for giving it a shot and stated that he would send out a replacement Tenacious ASAP with an included return envelope. When I asked if he needed my credit card to charge me for the Tenacious he would be sending out, he stated that since I trusted him and gave it my best shot to fix the knife, he would trust me, and asked that I send the original knife back in the included envelope. Couldn’t have asked for better customer service. So much so that I may start a new topic about the service I received from CutleryShoppe.

I received such great customer service that I called Jeff back, asked if he had the Tenacious Black/Black in stock and ordered a second one. I already received an email that both have been shipped. :D :D :spyder: :spyder:
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

Vivi wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:37 am
Strange issue. Never experienced that in any Cara Caras / Efficients / Tenaciouses...

Hope you get it resolved.
Thanks. CutleryShoppe hit me with some stellar customer service. I spoke with Jeff regarding the issue yesterday, when his suggestion didn't work I figured I’d call him back to let him know, and inquire about sending the knife back. He thanked me for giving it a shot and stated that he would send out a replacement Tenacious ASAP with an included return envelope. When I asked if he needed my credit card to charge me for the Tenacious he would be sending out, he stated that since I trusted him and gave it my best shot to fix the knife, he would trust me, and asked that I send the original knife back in the included envelope. Couldn’t have asked for better customer service. So much so that I may start a new topic about the service I received from CutleryShoppe.

I received such great customer service that I called Jeff back, asked if he had the Tenacious Black/Black in stock and ordered a second one. I already received an email that both have been shipped. :D :D :spyder: :spyder:
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

Wanimator wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:13 am
What did you lube it with? What do you have on hand?
3 in 1 is what I had on hand, and when speaking with Jeff at CutlerShoppe, he said it should work just fine. But it didn’t do anything. I believe this is because the noise is not coming from the pivot, I think it has to do with the detent ball rubbing against the knife tang and then intern vibrating the liner to the point of making this heigh pitched whine...crazy loud too, weird.
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

willc wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:30 am
My Tenacious also had a high pitched squeak when I opened and closed it.
It stopped after a couple weeks of daily carry.

I’ve never heard anybody else with this issue till now.
The knife is now over 5 years old and I still use it even though I have 40 or so higher dollar Spydercos.

I may have used a bit of Tuff Glide on it but it worked itself out and it was pretty annoying, really high pitched whine.
Yes!! That’s exactly what it is. Reminds me of a creeking door or even a quiet violin. I’ve been opening and closing this thing a bunch hoping it will work itself out, but nothing seems to help.

Doesn’t surprise me that you still use the Tenacious, I have heard such great things, and have a lot of great things to post about my new knife, but I want to be sure this gets worked out.
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

ThePeacent wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:31 am
I've had this happen on my Resilience and a Cold Steel Recon 1,
tried the same to the same results

I resigned and carried both and opened them a few times and over the course of a week both knives stopped making the noise. I guess they just needed to break in or there was something embedded inside that fell out, but this could be a different thing.

Good luck with whatever you do, the Tenacious is a good knife!
Crazy, the longer this discussion gets the more and more individuals are stating they had the same issue with this knife or that one.
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

Cheddarnut wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:55 am
Sounds there is a very small mouse in your knife, try putting some tainted cheese beside it at night. Or find some cats and let them have a go.
Haha
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

good service from CS, and your response was knife nut approved...buy both!! :D
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

ThePeacent wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:18 am
good service from CS, and your response was knife nut approved...buy both!! :D
Lol...yes!!
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
JaseRicco

Re: UPDATE - WHAT CAN I DO ABOUT THIS SQUEAKING??

Post by JaseRicco »

So, I received both Tenacious knives in the mail today, and sure enough, after opening and closing each one to break them in, they are both making that same noise. So either I have the worst luck with these knives, there’s an obvious problem, or maybe I am just being too picky. It’s apparent from the responses in this discussion that this is a known issue with different Spyderco models. It looks like in some cases the noise just simply disappears after a while, and in other cases the noise just becomes an accepted fact. I guess my question is, because these are $45 knives from the “Value Line”, am I just to accept that they make noise...kinda like a “you get what you pay for” type of deal?

I’m going to send an email to Spyderco to see what they suggest, because I can’t in good faith ask CutelryShoppe to send more Tenacious knives, nor would that remotely fix the problem...three Tenacious’s so far, and all of them with the same problem can’t be coincidental, which means exchanging again would be fruitless. And what’s puzzling is that no one has spoken out about this issue, which tells me it really can’t be that common. I have read review after review and watched video after video on the Tenacious, and not once have I seen anyone complain about the issue I am having, with the exception of the issues talked about in this discussion. :confused: So I’m at a loss.
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

Bizarre.

I just checked two used and ten NIB Tenacious knives (pending gifts) including Red Check, Blue, Carbon Fiber, Green, Orange, including Black blade versions. None had a peep of a squeak. I varied the speed and force of opening to see if I could initiate some resonant frequency, like a fingertip on the rim of a wineglass. Zip.

I never noticed this on any of the multiple user Tenacious knives when they were new, and they did not acquire and display that behavior later.

I would be interested to see a video (audio) of your current 'squeakers.'

We know that the squeak you described must be coming from the detent ball-liner interface;
1. With the liner disengaged and the blade opened and closed, no sound is produced.
2. With the thumb on the blade during opening, it dampens any significant blade resonance/sound.
3. With the liner exerting force via the detent ball which is transmitted to the pivot components, the hand and thumb would dampen any resonant 'squeak' with those associated components

4. An appropriate lubricant would be expected to alter if not extinguish the sound produced by friction of the detent ball on the blade. It would be interesting to see lubrication applied during your video, and note any effect or lack thereof.

An accurate acoustic analysis would be helpful; squeaking/screeching sounds dominant (sorry, no I-IV-V music pun intended) in the 2k to 4k Hz range are particularly annoying (they trigger interaction between the auditory cortex and the amygdala IYKWIM. think fingernails on a chalkboard).

I'm surprised the squeak was not noticed when checking your replacement knives before shipping. This might indicate a freq >10k Hz, though even a 36 year old might have lost that range. That would be a high pitched whine, though. You can use a free online tone generator/audiometry tester to check yourself (vs the squeak) . Check the specs on your computer speaker for output range ( or plug in some earbuds with suitable range).

This is a case where the solution/knife-swap is simple IRL... "Hear a squeak?" "No." "Good, keep that one."

good luck
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

BTW, we can hear the shouting in your topic headline. Please turn off caps lock, as with the vast majority of threads/users here. You can update. thx
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

nicked.onaut wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:57 pm
Bizarre.

I just checked two used and ten NIB Tenacious knives (pending gifts) including Red Check, Blue, Carbon Fiber, Green, Orange, including Black blade versions. None had a peep of a squeak. I varied the speed and force of opening to see if I could initiate some resonant frequency, like a fingertip on the rim of a wineglass. Zip.

I would be interested to see a video (audio) of your current 'squeakers.'

We know that the squeak you described must be coming from the detent ball-liner interface;

4. An appropriate lubricant would be expected to alter if not extinguish the sound produced by friction of the detent ball on the blade. It would be interesting to see lubrication applied during your video, and note any effect or lack thereof.

I'm surprised the squeak was not noticed when checking your replacement knives before shipping.

This is a case where the solution/knife-swap is simple IRL... "Hear a squeak?" "No." "Good, keep that one."

good luck
I’m not surprised at all that you didn’t hear a noise in the knives that you checked, or the fact that this was missed upon shipping. Simply opening the knife a couple few times wouldn’t result in the noise that I am hearing. In each one of the three Tenacious Knives the noise did not develop right out of the box. When first opening, the knives were all flawless, it wasn’t until each knife started to break in that the whine started, which is odd in itself.

I agree, the noise has something to do with ball detent and liner, just not sure what.

I tried to upload a video/sound file, but was unable to do so.

Lubricating did nothing too fix at all.

Unfortunately it is not as simple as swapping. I have already exchanged with CutlerShoppe and cannot continue to ask them to keep sending knives until I receive a Tenacious that does not make noise. At this point I have sent Spyderco an email with two sound files, one for each knife, and will await their suggestions.
Last edited by JaseRicco on Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

nicked.onaut wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:58 pm
BTW, we can hear the shouting in your topic headline. Please turn off caps lock, as with the vast majority of threads/users here. You can update. thx
Not shouting at all, just capitalized to grab attention.
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold: