2mo's With the Chaparral LW

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Eli Chaps

2mo's With the Chaparral LW

Post by Eli Chaps »

Last year saw quite a few Spyderco's pass through my hands. Well, that's a relative statement so it was a lot for me. I'd long wanted to purchase various models to really get a feel for them and see if anything could dethrone my long beloved Delica 4 and 2017 was the year I was able to do that. I already had a Manix 2 LW that I loved and believe is the best all-around pocket knife out there but for my EDC, the Delica was still just edging it out. I even bought two more Delicas during this process (Zome and ZDP189) and the Cutlery Shoppe M2LW exclusive (awesome knife!!!). An Endura came and went, so too did a Stetch 2 and a Dragonfly was a strong contender and still a favorite knife but none of the ones I tried were quite enough, when all things were considered to kick the Delica out of my pocket.

I very much appreciate function over form and look for what I consider a good value. In an EDC I also like a smaller design mostly for comfort and pocket room but not so small as to be ineffectual. I waited and waited and waited for the Chaparral LW and then it finally released and I finally got one for Christmas.

At first I was unsure. Choils are always questionable for me. I don't mind them so long as the grip doesn't absolutely require the use of them (that's my problem with the Native and Stretch 2). I know many think Dfly falls into the "required" category but I do not. I can find a comfortable, albeit short-fingered grip on the knife without the choil. And the Chaparral is even better.

So I dropped it into my pocket and it has been there ever since and getting daily use for, well, ya know, every day carry tasks. :) When I cut up an apple, I just slice down four sides and leave a rectangular core. The Chap is just a hair short for that first, full width of an apple but quick second cut and then it's no problem. It chews through boxes like it's nothing and the thin geometry just keeps on performing long after the fine edge has disappeared.

I left the factory edge on this guy just to see how it held up but mostly to see the geometry effect and man this thing is fantastic! It won't shave arm hair anymore but it's still cutting away. It's about time I put my own edge on it but I am very impressed.

This isn't just a home run. This is Sal hit the ball so hard it turned to dust and eliminated any chance anyone else had of making a similar hit. This is a fantastic EDC knife in a great steel and with a wire pocket clip!!! All the hubbub about the stiff spring and what not to me is just nitpicking and I don't find it to be any issue at all. In fact, I think if the internet didn't insist it was an issue, no one would even notice.

Man, I hope Cutlery Shoppe does an exclusive on this one. I know there is talk of it and man that would be great!

great job Sal and Team. This is one awesome knife!
SG89

Re: 2mo's With the Chaparral LW

Post by SG89 »

Eli Chaps wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:47 am
Man, I hope Cutlery Shoppe does an exclusive on this one. I know there is talk of it and man that would be great!
did CS say something on their Facebook page?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:43 am
Eli Chaps wrote:
did CS say something on their Facebook page?
Not sure. I read here a couple months back in one of the threads that someone had emailed them asking about it and they said they wanted to do a run but had other things in front of it right now.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Eli,

Thanx much.

sal
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I too have had a number, small number, of Spyderco knives in the past year. I had a CF Chaparral for a brief time but had to sell it. I really liked it but didn’t get to use it very long. Last week I sold a few things on eBay and bought a Chaparral FRN. Wow! Up until now my favorite all-around EDC was the Dragonfly but that has been replaced by my FRN Chap.

I too don’t know what the nit picking on the back lock is all about. For one thing, when the knife locks open, it is locked. No doubt. Pushing the bar to release it is easy. I tend to use my thumb and nail straight down on the rear of the lock bar for an easy and painless release. In my view all this griping about the Chap’s back lock is really uncalled for.

I put a teensy bit of light oil on the blade pivot area, opened and closed it a few times and it’s very smooth.

I like the weight (hardly any), the FRN pattern and the clip. I don’t like clips in general but this one will stay on.

Like others have remarked this blade cuts like a small light sabre without the burn marks.

Amazing expression of an already excellent design.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Nice report. The Chaparral line has been my favorite, as far as Spyderco goes. The FRN version is off the chart.
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

Eli Chaps wrote:

At first I was unsure. Choils are always questionable for me. I don't mind them so long as the grip doesn't absolutely require the use of them (that's my problem with the Native and Stretch 2). I know many think Dfly falls into the "required" category but I do not. I can find a comfortable, albeit short-fingered grip on the knife without the choil. And the Chaparral is even better.
Just curious, why are you forced to use the choil on your Stretch? I think the handle is perfect without using the choil.
Hank Scorpio

Post by Hank Scorpio »

Nice write up. The Chaparral was a pleasant surprise for me. I picked up a Raffir Noble version for a dressier gent carry option, but after I realized how much I loved the profile, the LW FRN became a no-brainer for me. Excellent EDC slicer that gets a lot of pocket time with me.
Currently enjoying the most pocket time:
:spyder: Sage 5 FRN, Watu :spyder:
Termite Toothpick

Post by Termite Toothpick »

Thanks for the great info and your points are spot on. I don't know why I have been putting it off, but I think this needs to be my next one. Still eyeing the CF one though, but the LW I think will be first.
Dragonfly G-10, Blurple PM2, Para3, Jani-Song, Dragonfly2 ZDP-189, Lil' Native, Chaparral LW, Delica WC HAP40, Para3 M4, HH UKPK S30V, Para3 LW, Para3 LW M390, Meerkat V-TOKU2, M4 Sage 5 LW, Urban Ivory Damasteel, Leaf Storm

:bug-white-red -Derek
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I really love the Chaparral LW. (a very close second is the K390 Urban LW, but only because it does not lock). That thin knife really does fit the bill for the perfect EDC knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050