Well done Eric!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
holeshot

Well done Eric!

Post by holeshot »

Just received my Clipitool Standard today. It is a well thought out design and the fit and finish is very good for a $50 tool. Nice blade length and shape and Spyderco knows how to get the most out of 8Cr13MoV steel for the blade. Mine came razor sharp out of the box. The tools included appear durable and functional. Best of all is feels good in my hand. Now it's time for some pocket time and putting it through the paces. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
SpyderEdgeForever

Re: Well done Eric!

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

holeshot, does the blade feel thick enough to handle tough cutting chores, also?
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:26 pm
holeshot, does the blade feel thick enough to handle tough cutting chores, also?
That seems to be the case but only time will tell. Oh yeah, I noticed another thread about where's the next Value Folder, well you might want to give this one a hard look. :)
SC_PATRIOT

Post by SC_PATRIOT »

I got one last week. Rescue version. Got to use the screwdriver this morning when changing a laser lens out. Worked great! It was definitely well thought out. It's excellent fit and finish for a "value" item. I didn't see the value. I just saw another great product from Spyderco that fits the bill. This little hidden gem was worth the $$.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
well considering how Victorinox's much thinner blades have been used and abused for decades now and they haven't changed much and are still the most successful knife in the world, I bet these will be up to the task :D
vivi

Post by vivi »

ThePeacent wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:04 am
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
well considering how Victorinox's much thinner blades have been used and abused for decades now and they haven't changed much and are still the most successful knife in the world, I bet these will be up to the task :D

I remember making videos of me batoning a Victorinox Solo just to show I could. It held up fine.

I'm going to have to check out one of these tools on my next road trip. They look pretty neat. Might be my next multi-tool.
:unicorn
Donut

Post by Donut »

Some of the pictures on this forum of the Chapparal being used/abused prove that a 2mm thick blade is plenty for tough "cutting". I'm sure the shorter 2mm thick blade on the Clipitools will handle rough things.

Now on the other hand, if tough cutting means something other than cutting, especially with a non locking blade... It probably won't handle much abuse. I mean, especially before it reminds you that you're doing something you shouldn't be doing. :D

Reminding you of what you shouldn't be doing with a knife is what Swiss Army Knives are really good at. :o
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

holeshot wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:35 pm

That seems to be the case but only time will tell. Oh yeah, I noticed another thread about where's the next Value Folder, well you might want to give this one a hard look. :)
I was the one who started that thread somehow missing the fact that the ClipiTool was just released in the last couple of months. I recently came across it by chance in this forum...might even have been this thread that you started which tipped me off to the knife. Since discovering the ClipiTool I have looked at it several times going back and forth as to whether or not I should purchase. It looks like it could be the perfect combination of quality, price and usefulness as an On The Job tool. I do like the Sheepfoot blade, and especially like the Hook Cutter. Though I wonder if the Hook Cutter could handle the task of cutting seat belts. But honestly, I just dont have a use for a knife that has a screwdriver in it. Waste of space and weight IMO. Just not sure what I would use it for, other than the obvious, and I’m not sure how often the obvious would happen. I looked for some YouTube reviews of the ClipiTool but there are only one or two, most likely because of how recently it was released.

Questions:
- In your opinion, does it look like the screwdriver blade can be removed without affecting the structural integrity of the rest of the knife?
- How is the action on the main Sheepfoot Blade?
Jase

Current:
Para 3 LWT & Delica 4 Damascus KnifeJoy Exclusive

On The Hunt For:
Delica 4 Sprints & Exclusives (Background here...viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85708)

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

I can't answer the first question and I have the standard version. The action on the blade is typical Spyderco liner lock action. It can be flicked or swept out easily. :)
BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

Donut wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:05 pm
Some of the pictures on this forum of the Chapparal being used/abused prove that a 2mm thick blade is plenty for tough "cutting". I'm sure the shorter 2mm thick blade on the Clipitools will handle rough things.

Now on the other hand, if tough cutting means something other than cutting, especially with a non locking blade... It probably won't handle much abuse. I mean, especially before it reminds you that you're doing something you shouldn't be doing. :D

Reminding you of what you shouldn't be doing with a knife is what Swiss Army Knives are really good at. :o
I split my thumb in half carving an arrow the wrong direction when I was 10 with a SAK. The scariest part was telling my dad, as I had stolen the knife from the 'four seasons' store on an army post in Germany. Karma...and to this day, it's the only thing I have stolen (other than a few hearts ;) ). A highly skilled German Doctor stitched right through my thumbnail...pretty wicked!

So, I agree that SAKs will tell you when you're being dumb, or impatient.
-Brian

Son's Collection: H1 Rescue Manbug, Tenacious

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

JaseRicco wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:07 pm
holeshot wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:35 pm

I do like the Sheepfoot blade, and especially like the Hook Cutter. Though I wonder if the Hook Cutter could handle the task of cutting seat belts. But honestly, I just dont have a use for a knife that has a screwdriver in it. Waste of space and weight IMO. Just not sure what I would use it for, other than the obvious, and I’m not sure how often the obvious would happen. I looked for some YouTube reviews of the ClipiTool but there are only one or two, most likely because of how recently it was released.

Questions:
- In your opinion, does it look like the screwdriver blade can be removed without affecting the structural integrity of the rest of the knife?
I guess it cuts seatbelts just fine. The screwdriver is useful to save your blade from snapping or the tip breaking off if you have to pry or scrape. :spyder:

We've seen too many stories of broken points and horror stories involving lateral stresses on folders, :eek: from the pivot to the blade itself so I guess it's not that rare among knife users to need to pry at some point
Many carry a mini prybar, a SAK or multitool for that ;)

Then you have the obvious screwdriver function, if you're a tradesperson or some kind of a handyman/DIY guy you're most likely needing to screw, open or secure things on a regular basis
OPening bottles is also a common thing for many people here, even multiple occasions every day
YMMV and if you don't drink and tinker with things maybe this knife is not aimed at you :confused:

then again, if you take the screwdriver blade from it you basically have a knife. Most things you can cut with a belt cutter you can cut with a normal blade, so the real differentiating features from the Clipitool is the other functions
If you want a knife with a belt cutter alone there's a lot of options out there, and many other spydies will do the same (blade doubling as a belt cutter) in a similar sized package, be it the Dyad, DF2, or any of the other small size knives
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

ThePeacent wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:17 am
JaseRicco wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:07 pm

I do like the Sheepfoot blade, and especially like the Hook Cutter. Though I wonder if the Hook Cutter could handle the task of cutting seat belts. But honestly, I just dont have a use for a knife that has a screwdriver in it. Waste of space and weight IMO. Just not sure what I would use it for, other than the obvious, and I’m not sure how often the obvious would happen. I looked for some YouTube reviews of the ClipiTool but there are only one or two, most likely because of how recently it was released.

Questions:
I guess it cuts seatbelts just fine. The screwdriver is useful to save your blade from snapping or the tip breaking off if you have to pry or scrape. :spyder:

Then you have the obvious screwdriver function, if you're a tradesperson or some kind of a handyman/DIY guy you're most likely needing to screw, open or secure things on a regular basis
OPening bottles is also a common thing for many people here, even multiple occasions every day
YMMV and if you don't drink and tinker with things maybe this knife is not aimed at you :confused:

then again, if you take the screwdriver blade from it you basically have a knife. Most things you can cut with a belt cutter you can cut with a normal blade, so the real differentiating features from the Clipitool is the other functions
If you want a knife with a belt cutter alone there's a lot of options out there, and many other spydies will do the same (blade doubling as a belt cutter) in a similar sized package, be it the Dyad, DF2, or any of the other small size knives
Fair point about using the screwdriver for prying and scraping rather than the blade. Ill take this into consideration.

My question about the hook comes from the point of being an Officer and First Responder. It would be nice to know without a doubt that the hook could be used to cut seat belts. Understandably any knife with a razor sharp edge could be used to cut through seatbelts like butter, in the same respect that the baton I carry could be used to bust in a window rather than carrying a window breaker. There are plenty of YouTube videos that have proven this. So I have no doubt that my Polestar and the Tenacious that I am waiting on would be able to do so. However, what the Sheepfoot blade and this type of hook offers is safely being able to do so around victicms. Of course I’m sure the blade that the ClipiTook comes with would be able to cut through a seatbelt with ease even if the hook could not.
Jase

Current:
Para 3 LWT & Delica 4 Damascus KnifeJoy Exclusive

On The Hunt For:
Delica 4 Sprints & Exclusives (Background here...viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85708)

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Haven't got one yet but have handled it, very nice knives. I really like the SAK's for having the tools that you can use for the stuff that would snap the tip off your knife so I always carry my SAK Pioneer, usually as a second/third.
Looking forward to trying this out when I'll eventually get one.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Got both the Clipitool Standard and Clipitool Rescue today. Very impressive. Solid construction and lockup, fit and finish are nice, blades are sharp and ground evenly, nice clip. the design is very nice and I prefer the ergos and tools of these knives over the Dyad. The only thing that I found as a negative is how dirty and gritty the pivots are, which has been my experience with all Chinese made spydies so no big deal just wash and go and a drop of oil. I would not hesitate to recommend these knives to anyone. another great example of a Spyderco gateway drug such as the Tenacious, Delica, or Dragonfly2. :)
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Thank you, Eric, for putting your mark on a bold design. Most multi-tools have a blade of little consequence that is trivial compared to the other doodads. The Standard starts with a 3.5 inch blade of substance and adds to it highly functional and essential tools that matter. Well done, indeed.

Cheers!

Last edited by Mad Mac on Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Thanks for the reviews.

These look like great and super useful designs. Unfortunately they're another one to to file under that list, when perusing the catalogue every year: 'nice knife, probably would've bought one, but they're designed for right handers only.'

So, my question for those who have one is - If a southpaw were to forget about clip carry, and just use one as a glovebox or backpack tool, would they work at all for left handed deployment and handling?

Thanks!
nugi

Post by nugi »

Cambertree wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:07 am
Thanks for the reviews.

These look like great and super useful designs. Unfortunately they're another one to to file under that list, when perusing the catalogue every year: 'nice knife, probably would've bought one, but they're designed for right handers only.'

So, my question for those who have one is - If a southpaw were to forget about clip carry, and just use one as a glovebox or backpack tool, would they work at all for left handed deployment and handling?

Thanks!
I'm not left-handed but have no problem deploying all three tools left-handed, I do have a little difficulty disengaging the lock with my left hand but it's doable
Wire clip me. Wire clip now. Me a wire clip needing a lot now.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

holeshot wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:24 pm
Just received my Clipitool Standard today. It is a well thought out design and the fit and finish is very good for a $50 tool. Nice blade length and shape and Spyderco knows how to get the most out of 8Cr13MoV steel for the blade. Mine came razor sharp out of the box. The tools included appear durable and functional. Best of all is feels good in my hand. Now it's time for some pocket time and putting it through the paces. :)

A few pics please
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

IMG_20190209_011805.jpg
I wish one of the tools could lock, other than that great tool. :)
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

True that. The can opener needs to lock open. If the center liner lock could be split on both ends and the can and bottle opener reversed, maybe that would work. The can opener would not need a detent ball.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.