Well done Eric!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bill1170

Re: Well done Eric!

Post by Bill1170 »

I’ve opened more than a few cans with a non-locking Victorinox can opener which is the same functional design as that on the plainedge Clipitool, and it works just fine without a lock. You do need to be wary when using the screwdriver, though.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Mad Mac wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:24 pm
True that. The can opener needs to lock open. If the center liner lock could be split on both ends and the can and bottle opener reversed, maybe that would work. The can opener would not need a detent ball.
This is what the Victorinox OHT does, the screwdriver/bottle opener locks opposite the main blade, using the same liner.
Chris :spyder:
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Nugi,

welcome to our forum.

Eric has been working on the concept for years. He still has a few others in-the-works.

sal
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

One with a corkskrew and bottleopener would be awesome, and maybe some steel options.
The corkskrew is probably a bit tricky in This design without removing some of the scales on one side..
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
sal

Post by sal »

CORKSCREW ???? Sake bottles are unscrew caps! ;)

Just kidding, I'll let him know.

sal
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

If you can believe these two guys, the Standard may already have a cork remover.
https://youtu.be/5AjbaATxhBE
https://youtu.be/mrdwT8T3dXw
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

I don't know how sharp those knives they used where.. But my knives are usually very sharp and i drink quite a lot of wine..
I would have lost a few fingers in a year of opening bottles like that.
😂
James Dean
nugi

Post by nugi »

Comfortable
Attachments
E183F1A6-C4FF-4D56-822C-D594968E0415.jpeg
90AA9B83-8B4F-4E4F-908C-1CFE849DA8F0.jpeg
9D88B26F-AAD8-48E4-AE77-499D32E0854E.jpeg
Wire clip me. Wire clip now. Me a wire clip needing a lot now.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

sal wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:04 pm
CORKSCREW ???? Sake bottles are unscrew caps! ;)

Just kidding, I'll let him know.

sal

What about one with the standard blade and a wood saw, Sal ?
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

nugi wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:13 pm
Cambertree wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:07 am
Thanks for the reviews.

These look like great and super useful designs. Unfortunately they're another one to to file under that list, when perusing the catalogue every year: 'nice knife, probably would've bought one, but they're designed for right handers only.'

So, my question for those who have one is - If a southpaw were to forget about clip carry, and just use one as a glovebox or backpack tool, would they work at all for left handed deployment and handling?

Thanks!
I'm not left-handed but have no problem deploying all three tools left-handed, I do have a little difficulty disengaging the lock with my left hand but it's doable
Great, I appreciate the response Nugi, thank you. Based on your analysis, I'll put one of these on the buy list, and check it out.

I figure I can always gift it to a right handed friend or family member if it doesn't work well in practice. (I love giving Spyderco knives to friends and family members who need to use knives for their daily work or chores, but have never used a good one before. It usually triggers a Spyderco obsession, LOL.)

Looking at Eric's interviews on this Clipitool line, and reading Sal's comment above, it seems that Spyderco are keen to keep evolving the concept and tools, which is exciting to hear.

Do you guys in the US use can openers much? Here in Australia, cans are nearly all ring pull pop tops, requiring no tools to open. I would have thought it would be the same over there.

As corkscrews were mentioned too, I'll add that they're pretty much a redundant tool here too. Screwtops are pretty much universal on wine bottles. I do keep an SAK Huntsman on hand to use the corkscrew as a knot unpicker, but that's about the only time I've used the tool for years now.

Bottle top openers/caplifters on the other hand get a LOT of regular use! :D :eek: :)
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

I saw in the shot show 2018 video that the hook on the rescue Version has a liner lock, so it would be no problem to lock one tool on the standard i guess.
99% of the wine i drink require a corkskrew. I don't think That depends on where you live as much as what wine you drink, even on some of the beers i drink i have to use a corkskrew.
Dobbelkorked lambic. Where is my corkskrew clipitool :)
Dobbelkorked lambic. Where is my corkskrew clipitool :)
James Dean
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Mom3ntuM wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:16 am
I saw in the shot show 2018 video that the hook on the rescue Version has a liner lock, so it would be no problem to lock one tool on the standard i guess.
99% of the wine i drink require a corkskrew. I don't think That depends on where you live as much as what wine you drink, even on some of the beers i drink i have to use a corkskrew.
1548527023627794.jpg
Interesting, thanks for the reply. I was wondering what the case was with tins and wine bottles in Europe as well.

In Australia there’s actually no difference between what kind of wine or how expensive it is - 99% is screwtop. Even European wines imported here are screwtop. The only maker that doesn’t use it is Penfolds.

I noticed in the UK and Ireland they seemed to be moving away from corks a bit, but not to the same extent (yet).

If you enjoy your vino, you might find this article interesting:

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.smh ... x0e3l.html

That cherry lambic looks good, there’s some of those in my local bottle-o, might have to try some - I guess my dusty ol’ corkscrew needs some work to do!

On the saw option - yeah, I’d love a Spyderco designed wood saw in a Clipitool, like a little Silky saw blade.

Now Sal, tell me one of those models-in-waiting that Eric has been working on is a lefty Clipitool, and I’ll be a very happy man!

I’m joking...well, kind of! :D
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

Interesting article, makes sense that the cork affect flavor.
So The wine manufacturers send different solutions to different countries it apears.
I mostly drink Italian, french and some spanish wine, not all uses natural cork, some uses a cork lookalike plastic.
But very rarely screwcap.
I'm not saying anything bad about wine with screwcap, I Just can't seem to buy that many here in Norway.
The few avaliable here is very cheap, i have even seen one with a plastic bottle.
If the rest of the world uses screwcap only, I'm waving my corkskrew clipitool goodbuy.
:(
James Dean
sal

Post by sal »

I've not seen to many screwcaps. It's just common with Sake. Even expensive sake.

sal
Knife Knut

Post by Knife Knut »

elena86 wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:08 pm
What about one with the standard blade and a wood saw, Sal ?
I think the new Dyad that Sal is developing would be a better platform for a regular blade plus a saw, since both blades will lock. Might not be much of a market for it however; the Catcherman handled saw did not last very long.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

here in Spain, 80 to 90% of wines have a cork,
but then again I believe a corkscrew could be replaced by more useful tools, like an awl, an additional screwdriver, a tiny bit driver (like the one on the Vic Cybertool)...
unless it fits the Victorinox mini-screwdriver, then I dig the corkscrew :p

sal

Post by sal »

I believe most of the cork material comes from Spain.

sal
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

Yes, it looks like usable corktrees can only be grown in the mediterranian basin. Portugal, Spain,france, italy and all the way round to africa.
James Dean
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

The Company is at a fork in the road. Spyderco made their reputation with innovative, quality, single-blade, folding knives. The multi-tool market is crowded with well established leaders. The technology and investment to manufacture multi-tools is not the same as making a G10 clad, flat grind blade.

If the Company tries to compete in the multi-tool market, it could risk diluting the Spyderco brand, a brand Sal has protected well for decades.

Victorinox of Swiss Army Knife fame became a designer label like Izod and expanded to includes watches, luggage and even fragrances. A fad that peaked with Tommy Hilfiger doesn't seem a likely path for our favorite knife maker.

There is a restless generation of young rebels coming up. Maybe the solution is to use the Byrd brand to test new products in other markets or create a totally new brand that can depart from tradition.

Harley-Davidson is facing the same problem. Maintaining the tradition, the legacy, of their iconic V-twin that appeals to a hard-core but shrinking market while still trying to innovate and create products for the next generation.

Good luck, my friend. Best wishes for continued success for you and yours.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
nugi

Post by nugi »

As someone who likes the practicality of having several tools in the pocket but wants a good looking knife and a subtle carry, I did not find many options out there beside the Clipitool standard.
Attachments
2BF2CD7B-9222-4928-BE10-42D79E128445.jpeg
Wire clip me. Wire clip now. Me a wire clip needing a lot now.