Manix 2 - Maxamet, new to me review.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Zenith

Manix 2 - Maxamet, new to me review.

Post by Zenith »

So I have had a Manix 2 as part of my EDC rotation for many years.

More of my old Manix can be read here (images lost though): LINK

So when Cliff mentioned Maxamet years ago it looked interesting, though I never really gave it much thought I was able to purchase one recently from the States when I ordered new supplies for my knife making.

Initial thoughts:

- The knife is really light compared to its predecessor.
- Feels familiar, but still different.
- I like the grey colour
- I like the bidirectional texturing.
- The finish on the blade is really attractive, stone washed.

So I did use it a bit over the weekend to process some meat and to eat with.

I was intrigued at how fast it started to slightly discolour. Faster than M4.

After eating it did dull on the plate of coarse. Since I was not at my house there was an inexpensive AO stone and a crock stick set.

I did 20 passes per side on the stone's fine side with the factory angle and then 10 passes per side on the crock sticks (20 dps)

Some notes

- The stone cuts slowly, I did not remove all the factory scratches, however the edge still formed and I could start shaving.
- After the crock sticks it would shave, pop hair and whittle beard hair.
- It formed a nice crisp edge as there was little burr formation.

Will update this as time progresses.
Evil D

Re: Manix 2 - Maxamet, new to me review.

Post by Evil D »

I glanced at the pic with the red handled tongs and thought "that's the biggest balisong I've ever flippin seen" :D

I sacrificed my S110V Manix 2 to make my custom G10 version so I don't have a lightweight anymore. Might need one of these.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ferider

Post by ferider »

That axe is overkill for the steaks :)

Have a PM2 with Maxamet and love it. Regarding the Maxamet Light-weight Manix, I have to admit that I could never warm up to an essentially liner-less knife with one of the hardest steels available .... I much prefer my fully lined S110V Manix 2 with alu scales :).
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

Thanks for the pix and review. Good work.
The Maxamet Manix 2 is a lightweight powerhouse that cuts tirelessly. (Likewise the Native Maxamet)

BTW I've never seen steak nor any other meat packaged and labeled as "Brand New." I shudder at the implications of their other offerings. (half joking)

kind regards,
a n.on
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I was surprised that it's been one of my favorites to sharpen so far. I'm sure I wouldn't want to reprofile it but very rewarding to sharpen takes a nice mirror edge
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

nicked.onaut wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:09 pm
Thanks for the pix and review. Good work.
The Maxamet Manix 2 is a lightweight powerhouse that cuts tirelessly. (Likewise the Native Maxamet)

BTW I've never seen steak nor any other meat packaged and labeled as "Brand New." I shudder at the implications of their other offerings. (half joking)

kind regards,
a n.on
That was not my choice of meat, but one do get strange offerings. :)
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

koenigsegg wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:21 pm
I was surprised that it's been one of my favorites to sharpen so far. I'm sure I wouldn't want to reprofile it but very rewarding to sharpen takes a nice mirror edge
I was also surprised at how nicely it can take a full mirror. Below is my further update to my thoughts on the steel.
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

ferider wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:23 pm
That axe is overkill for the steaks :)

Have a PM2 with Maxamet and love it. Regarding the Maxamet Light-weight Manix, I have to admit that I could never warm up to an essentially liner-less knife with one of the hardest steels available .... I much prefer my fully lined S110V Manix 2 with alu scales :).
That axe is just to get through the packaging. ;) On a side note that axe has some history, well the head at least. Was used by my late grandfather while he was working in the gold mines here in South Africa. Was part of the support team, ie, putting supports in place to prevent roof callopse.

I missed the PM2, but do hope it does become a regular in future.
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:16 pm
I glanced at the pic with the red handled tongs and thought "that's the biggest balisong I've ever flippin seen" :D

I sacrificed my S110V Manix 2 to make my custom G10 version so I don't have a lightweight anymore. Might need one of these.
My experience with the lightweight Manix has been limited to this one, but it has been impressive.
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

Additional work and thoughts.

The knife went on a camping trip and also went through several sharpening sessions on the trip. A mixture of diamond, medium, fine, ultra fine Spyderco rods and a Norton AO stone. I had little issues with the steel on all media.

It was also used to dig up roots, something most of my knives see as part of their use.

Digging up roots does damage the edge, no surprise there, but I did not experience any severe chipping. Only edge deformation was due to folding.

I have also used it to deburr titanium in the shop. Here is a small piece that I scraped out from the pivot after cutting raceways for thrust bearings.

After some hand sharpening on the diamond stone as time passed I managed to reshape the edge and went through the following grits. 320, 600, 1200, Spyderco UF stone and the results are below.

I am enjoying Maxamet quite a bit.
tjsblade

Post by tjsblade »

Curious what angle are you sharpening at? I sharpen most of my Spyderco blades at 16 dps to a polished finish and then add a toothier micro bevel at 20 dps. Blades are typically s30v, s110v, or m4. I have my first maxamet blade on the way.
kitanis

Post by kitanis »

1st knife for me of 2018... I LOVE IT. So much that I even decided to drop funds on a Native 5 LW in Maxamet in the same week...

But I prefer my Manix 2LW in the steel!

I am hoping they come back with the PM2 in it after re-visiting the grind.
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

tjsblade wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:41 pm
Curious what angle are you sharpening at? I sharpen most of my Spyderco blades at 16 dps to a polished finish and then add a toothier micro bevel at 20 dps. Blades are typically s30v, s110v, or m4. I have my first maxamet blade on the way.

I have tried to stick to the factory angle as far as possible but it will most likely end up, in due coarse of use, at around 10-12 dps unless the edge proves too fragile.

I have done some testing on CPMM4 at low angles with my most used Spyderco. The Gayle Bradley and until I see similar edge chipping on Maxamet I will continue going lower and lower.
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

kitanis wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:05 am
1st knife for me of 2018... I LOVE IT. So much that I even decided to drop funds on a Native 5 LW in Maxamet in the same week...

But I prefer my Manix 2LW in the steel!

I am hoping they come back with the PM2 in it after re-visiting the grind.
I am keen on getting the Native for my bemch knife. The smaller blade would be easier to manipulate when deburring parts.

Agreed on the PM2!
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

A followup post of the Manix 2 Maxamet.

I have used the knife om the shop similarly to most of my users to deburr Ti, cut sandpaper and clean out backings of belts.

The knife has been edced and handled everyday tasks including garden work.

I have pushed the angle to its extreme for this steel (7-8 dps) and started experiencing some minor edge damage. I stabilized the edge at 12-15 dps.

Maxamet has surprised me.

- Little burr formation
- Far more stable than I anticipated at lower angles
- Does patina giving it some character
- Maxamet does keep an edge longer than most steels in my uses. Especially for a production product. The one thing that still blows everything out the water is a custom K490 piece I have.

Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Very interesting, I always enjoy your reviews, especially as you push your edge angles to the point where they start to chip or roll.

Thanks for the update and data points. Good to know Maxamet has held up for you at 12-15 dps. Are you hitting the apex with the Sharpmaker rods, or is that just a straight 12-15 dps edge off the stones?

It's also interesting that you didn't experience problems using an AlOx stone.

I've thinned out my Maxamet Para 3 a fair bit behind the edge, but I'm still running a 20dps microbevel just to be cautious.
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

Cambertree wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:16 am
Very interesting, I always enjoy your reviews, especially as you push your edge angles to the point where they start to chip or roll.

Thanks for the update and data points. Good to know Maxamet has held up for you at 12-15 dps. Are you hitting the apex with the Sharpmaker rods, or is that just a straight 12-15 dps edge off the stones?

It's also interesting that you didn't experience problems using an AlOx stone.

I've thinned out my Maxamet Para 3 a fair bit behind the edge, but I'm still running a 20dps microbevel just to be cautious.
I have not used the sharpmaker in over a year but I have used it in the past on Maxamet.

The AlOx stone just takes extremely long vs diamonds. 20 dps will surely give you the most stable edge but you can give 15 dps a try and see how it works for you.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Zenith wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:43 am
I have not used the sharpmaker in over a year but I have used it in the past on Maxamet.

The AlOx stone just takes extremely long vs diamonds. 20 dps will surely give you the most stable edge but you can give 15 dps a try and see how it works for you.
Thanks. :)

What grit finish have you found works best for your purposes?
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

Cambertree wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:27 am
Zenith wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:43 am

Thanks. :)

What grit finish have you found works best for your purposes?
Spyderco fine or medium stone with a strop on a leather belt.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Zenith wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:27 am
Spyderco fine or medium stone with a strop on a leather belt.
Thanks, yes I'm using the same apex finish - Atoma and Venev diamonds to shape a clean, thinned bevel, then a very light microbevel with the Spyderco mediums, and a few passes on the fines to crisp up the apex. Although I'm using the rods rather than the stones. Then a light strop on smoothside leather, sprayed with 0.25 um CBN emulsion.

Somehow it seems to get a crisper and finer edge than I thought it would, given the carbide volume. It's good to know it'll go more acute too.