Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2018 Report

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
abbazaba

Re: Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2018 Report

Post by abbazaba »

I was really looking forward to the Lil Native backlock, thinking it would make more sense to me than the comp lock, but no wire clip?!? I guess it's more Lil Nativey, but I really liked the shorty wire clip on comp lock model.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Mantra has a blade length of 3.16" but Mantra3 is 3.46"!
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I have one more batch to finish, I hope to post them tomorrow!
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

RamZar wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:58 pm
Well, we might have measured it differently or we simply made a little mistake. I got the impression the bladesize was the same as the original Mantra.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Spyderco should have shortened the blade lengths of the Alistair Phillips (3.54") and Techno2 (2.56") slightly to 3.49" and 2.49" respectively to make them legal in more jusrisdictions.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Mr Blonde wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:01 pm
RamZar wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:58 pm
Well, we might have measured it differently or we simply made a little mistake. I got the impression the bladesize was the same as the original Mantra.
I understand.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Mr Blonde wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:59 pm
I have one more batch to finish, I hope to post them tomorrow!
You've done great (again)

"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
RamZar

Re: Spyderco 2018 Production Sample – Brad Southard Hanan

Post by RamZar »

Mr Blonde wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:43 pm
The Hanan was shown last year and I can’t really recognize many differences from before. However, Eric pointed out the CQI to the pivot. If you look inside you see phosphor bronze washers, indicating the new ball bearing system that uses bigger balls and slightly thicker steel rings. It certainly flips like a champ. The design reminds me of the Positron, but the Hanan seems a bit more ‘dressed-up’ with that bolster and curvy blade.

Specifications
Overall Length: 17,3 cm / 6.83 inches
Blade Length: 7,5 cm / 2.95 inches
Blade Thickness: 3.0 mm / 0.118 inches
Weight: 82 grams / 2.9 ounces

Good to hear that after a long wait for the Hanan, Spyderco will release it with the improved larger ball bearings and PB washers casing.
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

The Mantra 3 looks nice. I skipped out on the 1 and 2. I'm probably going to have to pick up a 3. Besides, I don't have a Delica yet, and I like flippers, so might as well add a flipper Delica to my collection!
BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

I am VERY excited about the Mantra 3!

Edited to remove childish negativity. My bad.
Last edited by BrianMcCord on Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Brian

Son's Collection: H1 Rescue Manbug, Tenacious

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

BrianMcCord wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:52 pm
I am VERY excited about the Mantra 3! I've given up on my Mantra 1...it's a $175 paperweight now. I got 2 days of use before it mucked up, but being there is so much animosity towards anyone who says "I have a problem with the bearings", that I decided to just let it 'die in the box'.
Dealer refund? SFO exchange? Sell it cheap to rid yourself of it?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:34 pm
BrianMcCord wrote:
I am VERY excited about the Mantra 3! I've given up on my Mantra 1...it's a $175 paperweight now. I got 2 days of use before it mucked up, but being there is so much animosity towards anyone who says "I have a problem with the bearings", that I decided to just let it 'die in the box'.
failing that, there's a number of people in the community who can tweak the action to your satisfaction.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

BrianMcCord wrote:
Why don’t you send it in? Sal and company seem to go above and beyond to fix things if something is wrong. They can’t help you if you don’t give them the chance to.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

The Smock looks like a Leafstorm XL
ejcr98

Post by ejcr98 »

RamZar wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:04 pm
Spyderco should have shortened the blade lengths of the Alistair Phillips (3.54") and Techno2 (2.56") slightly to 3.49" and 2.49" respectively to make them legal in more jusrisdictions.
Totally agree. The Techno 2 would have been a great office edc if the blade length was just short of 2.5” instead of being just over 2.5”.
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

The Alistair Phillips looks fantastic and I'm happy to see that it will be sooner rather than later before it goes into production. Anyone know if it is a washer pivot? I am hopping it is and has the same silky smooth action of the GB1. No bearings on this one please.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

hoimin wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:06 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:56 pm
does anyone remember a slipit prototype posted by the designer on the forum I want to say in 2016 that had green g10? It was meant to be a food prep knife I think. I for the life of me can't remember the designer's name or the name of his prototype but it reminds me of the Alistair Phillips posted above somewhat.
The Alistair Phillips is gorgeous and so is the Rhino! really liking these new designs

You are probably remembering Cubane's food prep slipjoint. This is the same person and knife.

Original thread: http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... =2&t=70631
KnifeNews: http://knifenews.com/compression-lock-food-prep/
Some background here: http://knifenews.com/compression-lock-food-prep/
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:34 pm
BrianMcCord wrote:
I mucked with it, my fault. Tried fixing it myself, flipped the washers and they cracked. Not Spydercos fault I decided to be an impatient Mr. Fix-it.

I regret posting that message...it was a passive aggressive complaint, sorry dudes (and Spydergirl)...
-Brian

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

ThePeacent wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:40 am
rivy wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:32 pm
WOW! The Amor and McNees knives look incredible. Especially that Sabotage. 4.1" is a pretty huge blade, I'd prefer a little smaller version but I don't know if I could resist that one, it's just so pretty :)
the Amor is love at first sight, the color, the curves...oddly enough in my language (Spanish" the word "Amor" literally means "Love" :D

and oddly enough, "No Tiene Amor "means "It doesn't have love", something unconceivable for a design so elegant :eek:
I love irony, Peacent. I wonder if Noti Amor does. "Sabotage" is rarely about love.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

SF Native wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:14 pm
BrianMcCord wrote:
Why don’t you send it in? Sal and company seem to go above and beyond to fix things if something is wrong. They can’t help you if you don’t give them the chance to.
I may send it in someday. I will have to pony up, as I took it apart and tried to fix it myself. There are 2 Benchmades and 3 ZTs that are in line ahead of the Mantra for warranty/repair issues. Again, sorry for the backhanded complaint.
-Brian