Sage 6 lock request

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
attila

Sage 6 lock request

Post by attila »

I've been hoping for a gathering of the voices that called for a "mini Manix" over the past year. In light of that idea, I figured "what better place to start making smaller CBBL knives than with the Sage series?"

I was thinking we could make it linerless G10 as well to broach the topic of linerless CBBL knives.

With regard to handle color, I see that black, grey, bright blue, and wood have been used. Would a different, new color be acceptable in the Sage series?

I'd like that 70s green we talked about months ago.
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:53 pm
attila wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:how about light green, 70's green.
Like this "70s Triumph green"?
That would be sweeeeet!
Yeah, exactly like that :D
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=75763&p=1174204&hil ... n#p1174204

Or we could be witty and make it sage green.
Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:28 pm

Other suggestions/ideas are welcome!

So, who's interested in a CBBL Sage 6?!?!
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
abbazaba

Re: Sage 6 lock request

Post by abbazaba »

Love it, but I'd buy any Sage6 they make TBH. Linerless G10 or FRN would be sweet. The CBBL might require a change of profile like the Sage3 did.
BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

I really like this idea. CTek would be a cool handle material. Do it in black or grey so it isn't so modern looking.

A Sage in Nishijin or Zome hasn't been done...

Edited cause Coors
-Brian

Son's Collection: H1 Rescue Manbug, Tenacious

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
elduderino04

Post by elduderino04 »

BrianMcCord wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:18 pm
I really like this idea. CTek would be a cool handle material. Do it in black or grey so it isn't so modern looking.

A Sage in Nishijin or Zome hasn't been done...

Edited cause Coors
I agree with you, however I wouldn't expect any very exotic handle materials. My understanding is that the Sage series is intended to highlight different locks, whereas the Chaparral is intended to showcase various handle materials. However, the fact that the Sages have had so many different handles does undercut that, so who knows...
Carlito555

Post by Carlito555 »

I would get one with ball bearing lock in a second. My preference would be something close to kc exclusives delica endura for liners and scales...love the blade shape and if we are wishing....m390 please.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Not sure it can be done with the Sage size, but a second phantom lock spydie would be sweet. Green handles are cool.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Bladewacked

Post by Bladewacked »

Phantom lock is a great idea.
NickShabazz

Post by NickShabazz »

There's a lot of joy in a good button lock, too. Then again, might be too confusable with the Smock-style Button Comp lock.
Mourning the Slysz Bowie and loving the rest of Spyderco's gems. Check out my reviews at https://www.youtube.com/c/nickshabazz!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

NickShabazz wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:42 am
There's a lot of joy in a good button lock, too. Then again, might be too confusable with the Smock-style Button Comp lock.
I have a feeling this may eventually become the way compression locks are operated anyway. While not the same lock, the Autonomy unlocks in the same way that the Smock will, and I'm really loving how it works vs a typical compression lock tab, especially when wearing gloves.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
NickShabazz

Post by NickShabazz »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:04 am
I have a feeling this may eventually become the way compression locks are operated anyway. While not the same lock, the Autonomy unlocks in the same way that the Smock will, and I'm really loving how it works vs a typical compression lock tab, especially when wearing gloves.
Absolutely. And for flippers, it solves the problem of the tab traveling through the lock cutout. There are some interesting layout considerations, from the seems of it, but I'm really hoping Spyderco winds up using that more often.
Mourning the Slysz Bowie and loving the rest of Spyderco's gems. Check out my reviews at https://www.youtube.com/c/nickshabazz!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

NickShabazz wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:13 am
Evil D wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:04 am
Absolutely. And for flippers, it solves the problem of the tab traveling through the lock cutout. There are some interesting layout considerations, from the seems of it, but I'm really hoping Spyderco winds up using that more often.

Does it? Or does that additional tube/button protruding through the liners create another obstacle for the tab to hit? I guess it does move your unlocking finger somewhere else so it won't get hit, they'd just need to engineer the tab around the button so it passes. This might lead to the lock button being further down the handle than some lock tabs, but since it's being operated by the thumb it shouldn't be a problem if it requires more pressure to unlock. Unfortunately this is just about the only feature on the Smock that interests me besides the flipper tab design.
~David
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The bolt action lock Sage 3 got discontinued, which is generally indicative of poor sales. Not sure whether that was due to lack of interest in the lock, or that folks didn't find either the smurf blue G-10 or the "argyle" CF laminate attractive. Personally, I find the BAL easier to use than the CBBL, so I have to wonder if a CBBL Sage would sell better than the Sage 3 did.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
attila

Post by attila »

I believe the CBBL would make a better received Sage model than the phantom or button locks because, so far as I've seen, more people have asked for more CBBLs than the other two.

The Deacon wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:05 am
The bolt action lock Sage 3 got discontinued, which is generally indicative of poor sales. Not sure whether that was due to lack of interest in the lock, or that folks didn't find either the smurf blue G-10 or the "argyle" CF laminate attractive. Personally, I find the BAL easier to use than the CBBL, so I have to wonder if a CBBL Sage would sell better than the Sage 3 did.
Thank you for that bit of history I was unaware of. I think it would sell better because the Manix series is so well established.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
guywithopinion

Post by guywithopinion »

Since almost all of them have been tributes to locks designed by other makers/companies, what about a McHenry-Williams axis-lock Sage, now that the patent is expired?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

attila wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:01 am
I believe the CBBL would make a better received Sage model than the phantom or button locks because, so far as I've seen, more people have asked for more CBBLs than the other two.

Thank you for that bit of history I was unaware of. I think it would sell better because the Manix series is so well established.

YVW. Here's another bit. Folks started suggesting a CBBL Sage early on in the Sage series. When they did, Sal said the CBBL was the one Spyderco lock he was not sure would fit in the Sage platform.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I would buy a McHenry and Williams Axis Lock Sage in an instant or a Button Lock Sage in an instant. I would absolutely drool oflver a slipjoint sage, but that kind of defeats the point i think...
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Yes! +1000.

Smaller CBBL is one of my ultimate Spyderco wish list items.

The only non Spydie I carry with any regularity is my Ritter Mini Grip. I'd love to have a Chaparral sized CBBL to replace it with.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

attila wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:01 am

I bet if the Plunge Lock and/or a button operated compression lock were available in a non restricted model other than the Autonomy, more people would be asking for it. It seems like it has to be more user friendly than the lock tab (even though it's not really difficult in the first place).
~David
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I've been eyeballing the button compression lock and I keep wondering if it will run afoul of switchblade/gravity knife restrictions where I live. I'm assuming if you push the button with the knife closed it will 'fall' open. That might make it a gravity knife here. Not sure.

As for the CBBL sage... I'd probably pass. I'd love an actual Mini Manix though.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:08 pm
I've been eyeballing the button compression lock and I keep wondering if it will run afoul of switchblade/gravity knife restrictions where I live. I'm assuming if you push the button with the knife closed it will 'fall' open. That might make it a gravity knife here. Not sure.
Are the regular compression lock knives considered gravity knives where you are? If not, I don't see why a knife with a button compression lock would be. What's the difference if you press a button or a tab to swing the blade open?

Not sure I'd be interested in a CBBL Sage. I have a Sage 3 that doesn't get carried or used much but I think I'd prefer that over the CBBL.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!