Desperate need of help

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MMGRenovations

Desperate need of help

Post by MMGRenovations »

Hello to all,

I got home to discover my home was broken into. I have a pit bull that roams my house except my room. My bedroom was the only place they hit. Which is where my collection was. My spyderco collection was stolen except for my PM2 I was carrying. I called the police to make a report and I was told a investigator would call me in a couple days. I would like to make a list to have ready when the investigator calls. If you could be so kind as to help me with the knife box code I would really appreciate it. Let's start with the Manix 2s as they were my favorite.

Manix 2
M4/Tan
M4 Satin/ Jade
M4 DLC / Jade
S90v/CF
Cpm-154/S90v/CF
Cruwear/ Cf
CTS-XHP/ green I think
S110v/ blurple

Para 2
S110v/blurple
M4/CF
M390/Red

Military
M390/CF
M4/ Jade

Native 5
S110v/CF
S90v/ CF
S110v/Blurple

Mantra 1

BBS Domino

Also I know I know it's blasphemy but if anyone also has these

Benchmade Ritter griptilian M390
Benchmade mini Ritter griptilian M390

Thank you for your help. This was the hardest post I've had to write :(
Sharp Guy

Re: Desperate need of help

Post by Sharp Guy »

Dang! Sorry to hear this! I hope they catch whoever did this.

This should get you most of the SKU's you need. Most are also what's on the box. There might be some slight differences. For example, the SKU for the Mantra is C202TI but I believe the box actually has C202TIP. The Manix 2 (black G10) has a SKU of C101G2 but the box has C101GP2.

http://spydiewiki.com/index.php?title=C ... ing_knives
Last edited by Sharp Guy on Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
62Mini

Post by 62Mini »

Spydiewiki.com will have all that info of the box codes that you will need
attila

Post by attila »

One thought I had was whether anyone knew to hit the bedroom specifically. Of course, you shouldn't provide this info to us, but ask yourself: was your collection the major source of valuables in the room and/or of what was taken? Did it look like a targeted theft? If so, the thieving party may (must??) be someone you know or had at some point overheard you discussing your collection/location.

I hope the perp and your property are caught and returned.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

**** man I am so sorry! I hope they find this scum and fry his behind. Hopefully all you should need to know is on Spydiwiki. This is absolutely crap.
Josh
shaztec

Post by shaztec »

Really sorry to hear that mate. Great collection there. Best of luck getting it back.
shaztecs_knives on instagram
MMGRenovations

Post by MMGRenovations »

First off I want to apologize for not responding. I got pretty depressed last week. Had a lot going on and the theft did not help. I want to thank you guys for recommending me to spydiewiki. I found all the box codes there. I did make a list to provide the detective.
I received a call yesterday from the detective telling me he may have found a couple knives. He asked me to meet him at the pawn shop to see if I could identify any knives as mine. I agreed to a time.
The detective was already there when I got there. He asked the nice lady behind the counter to show me the possible knives. She pulled out a bundle of six knives. The first one I picked up I immediately identified as one of mine. It was a mantra I with blue titanium scales and patina blade. I ended up identifying all the knives as mine. At that point the lady brought out another box full of knives. All in all I was able to identity 23 knives as mine. This made me so happy but the bummer is I still have to pay to get my knives back. With the perp identified they cross referenced his name and found my other stuff pawned at another pawn shop.
I do have to pay for everything to get returned. I would rather pay the money than to lose my collection. I just really can't believe how much the pawn shop paid for them. The average price was about $30 each. I'm just really happy I got most of my collection back. The really hard to get knives in my collection were all there. I was almost at the point that I didn't want to collect spydies anymore. My collectors soul came back! Thanks again for the tip you guys helped me out a lot.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Glad you were able to get most of your knives back. It may of not been the way you wanted to get them back but at least you got them! I hope they catch this punk soon and throw the book at him. Keep your head up!
Josh
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I'm very happy for you that you got most of your knives back. At the same time I'm saddened (and a little angered for you) to learn you have to pay to get back what's rightfully yours. I'm surprised that the pawn shop can charge you when they're in possession of stolen property. Doesn't seem right to me.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:16 pm
I'm very happy for you that you got most of your knives back. At the same time I'm saddened (and a little angered for you) to learn you have to pay to get back what's rightfully yours. I'm surprised that the pawn shop can charge you when they're in possession of stolen property. Doesn't seem right to me.
Well, someone has to take the loss. They didn’t do anything wrong and they are in possession of the items.

What a bummer, but at least you saved a lot of money considering the replacement cost.
Northglenn500

Post by Northglenn500 »

I can't believe they actually charged you. The store was in possession of stolen items, and is required to turn them over as evidence. This victim (at least here in Colorado) would never be obligated to pay the pawn shop back. The detective should have seized them and placed them into evidence, to be returned to you at the disposition of the case. The loss for the pawn shop is the price of doing business in a field many believe is just a legal fence.
toocool006

Post by toocool006 »

Check out this reddit thread for a good explanation of why most LEOs tend to work closely with pawn shops, and also the option to pursue recompensation from the pawn shop by taking them to small claims court, should you so desire:

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/co ... sold_to_a/
~andrew
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

zhyla wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:35 pm
Well, someone has to take the loss. They didn’t do anything wrong and they are in possession of the items.
Just because they were in posession of the goods does not mean they legally own the items. If I bought some stolen goods, does it seem right that I could charge the original owners to get their stuff back? IMO, the pawn shop did do something wrong. They were possession of stolen property.

EDIT: I looks to me like how this is handled depends on the laws in the State you live in.

https://nccriminallaw.sog.unc.edu/must- ... its-owner/

http://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/ ... /218092326
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:52 pm
zhyla wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:35 pm
Just because they were in posession of the goods does not mean they legally own the items. If I bought some stolen goods, does it seem right that I could charge the original owners to get their stuff back? IMO, the pawn shop did do something wrong. They were possession of stolen property.

EDIT: I looks to me like how this is handled depends on the laws in the State you live in.

https://nccriminallaw.sog.unc.edu/must- ... its-owner/

http://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/ ... /218092326
Yeah, I’m sure there’s some variation by locale. But unknowingly possessing stolen property is not a crime. Sure, skeezy pawn shops may not ask many questions, and that’s crappy, but still legal.

In my state even if the property is seized it goes back to the pawn shop unless there’s a court order.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Definitely the pawnshop was in the wrong for accepting stolen goods. But, at least they cooperated with law enforcement. In reality, it should be their risk for taking in stolen property and should be their loss, not yours.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Your are lucky man. Two years ago half of my collection was stolen, more than 60 spydies, plus 6 Sebenzas. Still waiting some news from the police :mad:
Last edited by elena86 on Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
embry386

Post by embry386 »

That sucks that you had to buy them back from the pawn shop. Did they at least not raise the prices a ton, and just ask for what they paid for the knives?

But: congratulations on getting your knives back!! That's wonderful :)

Also this reminds me that I need to find a better-hidden place for my knives to live, and not just keep them piled on a shelf in my bedroom no matter how convenient it is... hmm...
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

So sorry to hear this happened to you :(
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'm glad you were able to find them, but it's terrible that you got victimized essentially twice - once with the theft and then again needing to pay to get it back...

Something really grinds my gears about that.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Strider

Post by Strider »

Well, if they did not make him pay to get them back, people could just scam the pawn shops. Have someone sell them, then file a report to get them back.