New Chaparral (FRN)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jackh

New Chaparral (FRN)

Post by jackh »

I got the new Chaparral with FRN handle. I actually had seen a video review of the Chaparral with the new, very beautiful handle material whose name I can't think of. I decided to get one since I haven't spoiled myself with a new knife in quite a while. The search also brought up the FRN chaparral that I didn't know was available. I got the FRN model because I love FRN and always wished the Chaparral came with it. I also saved a few bucks. FRN with the pattern Spyderco uses (IMO) is as good as you can get for a knife handle. It may not be all that beautiful but it just works great. I'll probably get the Chaparral with the raffir noble (looked it up :) ) later because it looks great and the reviews are positive.

What is the grip on the faffir material like when wet or dry? Anyone used this material in both wet and dry situations? I don't like it when a knife gets slippery when my hands are wet. Thanks.
zhyla

Re: New Chaparral (FRN)

Post by zhyla »

Nick Shabazz’s review of the raffir noble said it was kind of slippery.

The Chaparral hadn’t been in my radar but I like how thin the blade is. Thin is in.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

When I handled a Raffir Noble I was sold and I generally don't care for smaller knives
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jackh,

Welcome to our forum.

The Chaparral project was a very long in development. The design philosophy was based on the size that will be acceptable and politically correct 10 years from now. The ergos are good for most hands. The mid back-lock functional, safe and with a strong self close. It's not a tactical design, but more of an EDC that will perform the daily cutting chores at work, play and food prep. Exotic versions like the machined Ti, pocket jewelry with the carbon and Rafir. I'd like to add some woods. The FRN just made a lot of sense for me. Hope you enjoy it. Let us know your thoughts.,

sal
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

sal wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:16 am
... I'd like to add some woods...

sal
Wood scales would be an insta buy for me. Been carrying the Pakkawood Delica in the office almost exclusively for months now.
attila

Post by attila »

sal wrote:
Hi Jackh,

Welcome to our forum.

The Chaparral project was a very long in development. The design philosophy was based on the size that will be acceptable and politically correct 10 years from now. The ergos are good for most hands. The mid back-lock functional, safe and with a strong self close. It's not a tactical design, but more of an EDC that will perform the daily cutting chores at work, play and food prep. Exotic versions like the machined Ti, pocket jewelry with the carbon and Rafir. I'd like to add some woods. The FRN just made a lot of sense for me. Hope you enjoy it. Let us know your thoughts.,

sal
Hi Sal,

Are you thinking natural woods (like burled ironwood, purpleheart, pink ivory, bubinga, African blackwood, olive wood, padauk, etc.) or some stabilized wood like Pakkawood?
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Attila,

Right now, my thoughts are towards a new stabilized wood that we're testing. If it works in Golden, then we'll try some Chaparral's. Our success rate for natural woods (not pakkawood) has been poor. Woods used in a humid climate, and then shipped to a dry climate have resulted in cracking.

sal
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

sal wrote:

sal
Sal, thank you for sharing details about your design philosophy and and product conceptual development. I like that for some knives you're looking ahead as a futurist for societal changes affecting design, while at the same time you have a large reservoir of respect for historical designs.

The frn Chappie is superb for office carry, small and unobtrusive in right front pocket. (true of all Chappies!) The frn texture is much more friendly to fine fabric slacks than the bi-directional pattern, which can get snaggy. I alternated weeks with this and K390 Urban, and Chappie won. (except for non-locking venues hereabouts in Calif.)

Woods would be great. (ignore in advance the grumbles of "I don't like the figure on mine," "The scales aren't bookmatched with mirrored grain," "This wood choice made the price too high," "This wood is not exotic enough for such a high price," etc. Look what happened with the Raffir Noble "blind" online orders...) But then I've been getting Wood and Steel since Vol 1, issue 1. :-)

kind regards,
a n.on
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Exotic woods would be very nice, especially if they had nice figure. Ironwood, black ebony, blackwood, would all be great choices. On the Chaparral, the scales would be very thin, indeed.

Another thing that would look great, and unusual, is stabilized pine cone.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
attila

Post by attila »

sal wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:33 am
Hi Attila,

Right now, my thoughts are towards a new stabilized wood that we're testing. If it works in Golden, then we'll try some Chaparral's. Our success rate for natural woods (not pakkawood) has been poor. Woods used in a humid climate, and then shipped to a dry climate have resulted in cracking.

sal
Thank you for the info. I look forward to seeing future wooded offerings!
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

definitely looking forward to more offerings in wood!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

The FRN Chaparral is a home run.
restless ghost

Post by restless ghost »

The finish on my pakkawood delica has been extremely durable. I'd love to see it on more models.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Pakkawood Chaparral would be fantastic. :)
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Sal - if you are looking at the Chaparral as a handle material test bed go check out the handle materials being offered by Fiddleback Knives (Andy Roy) & Dogwood Knives (Dan Eastland). The stabilized pine cone as mentioned by Doc Dan above is very cool. Dan Eastland has some very interesting handles that glow.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

restless ghost wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:59 pm
The finish on my pakkawood delica has been extremely durable. I'd love to see it on more models.
Agreed. I've been carrying mine loose in pocket with my keys for months in the office and the scales still look brand new. I can't say the same for most materials.
Bruce Mack

Post by Bruce Mack »

I want this and would have ordered it, but am waiting to see if I get the Delica Sprint run in VToku 2. One or the other will be my first Spyderco knife.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Also got the FRN Chaparral because it always seemed like a nice knife for urban use and once it came out in FRN, which is my favorite Spyderco handle material, I had to get one. Has hardly been out of my pocket, apart from use, since although I sometimes do carry a bigger blade as 2nd.
Came across the raffir earlier today and was also considering getting that in the near future, this Chaparral is even nicer than I had expected, might even want a weird fancy version.. ;)
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Ok so I obviously had to image search "stabilized pine cone", as I feel everyone must the first time they hear of it, and yyyyes! That looks so cool! I am still swooning over my Raffir Noble Chaparral and don't know if I would want another Chaparral, but I'd certainly be interested in something like that being pioneered on the Chap and spread to other models and sprints. I've got all the cool steels, now I just want cool handles!
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Yeah, that pine cone is pretty nice to look at. It can be had in colors, too.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050