New Chaparral (FRN)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: New Chaparral (FRN)

Post by sal »

Hey Joris,

What do you think is a "weird fancy version"?

Are you going to the meet?

sal
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

sal wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:15 am
Hey Joris,

What do you think is a "weird fancy version"?

Are you going to the meet?

sal
Haha, for starters yes I'll be at the meet but is this a casual bombshell about you being there too?! :D

With weird fancy version I meant the Raffir version because it is a fair bit fancier than the FRN version and the material is somewhat odd looking.
(in a very cool way)
I'm just starting to make some knives but have been carving different materials for awhile. I started learning jade and bone in New Zealand and went on from there to bone, wood, micarta, G10, just experimenting different materials. I do have soft spot for intersting looking handle materials and plan to also use some carving experience on making cool handles on my own blades.
The Chaparral turned out to be even better than expected so now I might consider getting that weirder fancier Raffir version as well just because it is so cool looking and such a usefull knife. (although I normally prefer FRN on my Spydies)

On my last trip to NZ, carving there I also ended up carving my edc, a PM in CPMD2, I'll bring it to the meet just in case. ;)
(carving part of the G10)
sal

Post by sal »

No I'm home. Getting a bit long in the tooth for some of these trips. Eric is still a young buck so he can handle it. Besides, he's smarter and better looking.

When you get a chance, please share your work.

sal

FYI - Joris is the blade knowledge at a store in Amsterdam called The Old Man. Great store. If you are in Amsterdam, make sure to check it out.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Haha, I'm sure I'll run into Eric again.
Enjoy home, I love to travel but I mainly enjoy staying somewhere for a longer time and/or slow travel. Trips like this I would hardly keep up with and I'm only 42.

Btw, I'm the other Joris, we have also met at the meet a few times before. Joris from the Old Man is the younger, more knowledgeable and better looking of the 2 Joris's. ;)
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

What's up with all the crusty geezers :D
I want to meet you at least once before one of us kick the bucket Sal, but i hear you on travelling.. I just turned 57 and fell asleep in my hotel room upon arriving to Amstedam..
All the best though and i look forward to meeting Eric, Joyce and the worse looking, older Joris tomorrow :D
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
sal

Post by sal »

My apologies. :o Thanx for the clarification. I like to know with whom I'm communicating.

sal
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Sal: Regarding wood scales i think the safest bet would be to use timber that has already spent some time in Colorado / the US. As i have said before, talk to woodwind instrument makers. I know flute and uilleann pipe makers and they produce instruments that get "wet" from condensation, and dried out over and over again and still last.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

sal wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:41 pm
My apologies. :o Thanx for the clarification. I like to know with whom I'm communicating.

sal
I think I've been to the last 2-3 meets you were at, last time we spend some time talking about my beat Pacific Salt that I had had used hard & abused in N-Portugal for 5 weeks non-stop a couple of months before. You seemed to enjoy hearing about the beating it took without issues and checking out the blade to see how it was still doing great. :)
(I'm the somewhat taller, balder and this cold time of year beardier Joris ;) )

Must be a total pain for you to remember people/names, especially if you talk to them on forums as well without seeing them. I spend 15 years working as a bouncer, also seeing and getting to know a hell of a load of people but I've always been terrible at names.. :rolleyes:
(luckily could usually let other people bother with guestlists)

To get back on the subject while we're at it, thanks for the FRN Chaparral. Not sure wether I would've ever tried it in another version and I love how you guys came up with an extremely functional subtle modern gents/ladies knife. Also a very good color FRN, makes this version look much more distinguished than if it would've been 'plain' black FRN.
I do think old school style polished black micarta would look good on this one as well but I'm not sure if that kind of 'vintage' is hip enough as well yet to be commercially interesting for production. ;)
Anyway, I'll be putting many miles on my FRN Chap and might also be getting a backup just in case somewhere in the next year.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Let me put in a vote for "old school black micarta”. I still have my original (minus blade) Buck 112 which I got in the 1970s. Love the micarta scales. I think they would be very suitable and bomb proof enhancements to a Chaparral. Especially for us old guys.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Celtibero

Post by Celtibero »

Hello
My name is Rafael and I'm from Spain.
I have been reading this forum for the past weeks because I wanted to buy a new Spyderco knife. I have had a Spyderco Native FRN C41BK for several years and I am very happy with it.
Yesterday I received my new Spyderco Chaparral FRN. I bought it at a store on ebay (the best-knives). But I think it has a manufacturing defects. There is a small step when the blade is open. See photo that I send.
Has the knife passed the quality controls?
Is it a reason for me to change it for a new one?

Sorry for my basic English.

Thanks in advance
Cordial greetings.

https://ibb.co/iRNosx
https://ibb.co/daHzzc
Last edited by Celtibero on Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
.... No hay a su pie risco vedado, sueños no ha menester, quejas no quiere, donde le ordenan va, jamás cansado, ni el bien le asombra ni el desdén le hiere, temido, valeroso y abnegado obedece, pelea, triunfa o muere ....
Celtibero

Post by Celtibero »

I'm sorry, but I can not see the pictures .....

https://ibb.co/iRNosx
https://ibb.co/daHzzc
Last edited by Celtibero on Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
.... No hay a su pie risco vedado, sueños no ha menester, quejas no quiere, donde le ordenan va, jamás cansado, ni el bien le asombra ni el desdén le hiere, temido, valeroso y abnegado obedece, pelea, triunfa o muere ....
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Celtibero wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:20 am
Hello
My name is Rafael and I'm from Spain.
I have been reading this forum for the past weeks because I wanted to buy a new Spyderco knife. I have had a Spyderco Native FRN C41BK for several years and I am very happy with it.
Yesterday I received my new Spyderco Chaparral FRN. I bought it at a store on ebay (the best-knives). But I think it has a manufacturing defects. There is a small step when the blade is open. See photo that I send.
Has the knife passed the quality controls?
Is it a reason for me to change it for a new one?

Sorry for my basic English.

Thanks in advance
Cordial greetings.
Hi Rafael,

Welcome to the Spyderco Forums!

It looks like the lock bar isn't coming up high enough. Before sending it in to Spyderco from Spain, you might want to try putting a drop of oil on the back of the blade tang or lock bar face. Then open and close the knife a few times and see if the lock bar comes up so it's flush with the top of the blade.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Celtibero

Post by Celtibero »

Thank you very much Sharp Guy, for your welcome and for your advice.
But I think the lock bar is defective

In the new photos I upload, the step is also observed with the knife closed.
https://ibb.co/hccQpc

If I force the end to be OK, the step appears at the end and in between.
https://ibb.co/eRDLNx

I think the solution could be to change the lock bar ¿?¿?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Celtibero,

Welcome to our forum.

It appears that the lock end is lower than it should be. You can probably have it exchanged by your Spanish distributor.

sal
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

All this Chappy talk has me pricing up options... you guys are trouble
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Indeed. At one point I considered the Dragonfly to be Spyderco’s best, all-around, every day use knife (I no longer live on a small farm so my needs have changed) but now I believe the Chaparral FRN has taken that place. It is a superb knife. Light, thin, tough, smoothly operating little slicing machine. You would love one. Yes, precious, we loves it.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
Celtibero

Post by Celtibero »

sal wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:28 pm
Hi Celtibero,

Welcome to our forum.

It appears that the lock end is lower than it should be. You can probably have it exchanged by your Spanish distributor.

sal
Thank you very much for the welcome, Sal.
It is a satisfaction for me that Sal Glesser himself answers my question.
I am going to contact the store to return the item for another. I think it's a great knife.
Thanks again.

Greetings from Spain
Termite Toothpick

Post by Termite Toothpick »

The FRN Chaparral is the slickest little slicer I have! I have good kitchen knives and I don't tend to use my pocket knife there (you know, right tool for the right job), but lately I have been using it just to paly with it more and slice as much stuff as possible (you can only eat so many apples in a day). It's just so nice!

Micarta would be my next Chaparral for sure if that ever happened! I think that would be a great addition to the Chaparral line. Please, please, please!

Thanks Sal for the great knife and thank you for listening and sharing with us!
Last edited by Termite Toothpick on Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dragonfly G-10, Blurple PM2, Para3, Jani-Song, Dragonfly2 ZDP-189, Lil' Native, Chaparral LW, Delica WC HAP40, Para3 M4, HH UKPK S30V, Para3 LW, Para3 LW M390, Meerkat V-TOKU2, M4 Sage 5 LW, Urban Ivory Damasteel, Leaf Storm

:bug-white-red -Derek
elena86

Post by elena86 »

MichaelScott wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:15 pm
Indeed. At one point I considered the Dragonfly to be Spyderco’s best, all-around, every day use knife (I no longer live on a small farm so my needs have changed) but now I believe the Chaparral FRN has taken that place. It is a superb knife. Light, thin, tough, smoothly operating little slicing machine. You would love one. Yes, precious, we loves it.
You have options....I give you : K390 Urban. Even better :spyder:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

elena86 wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:51 am
MichaelScott wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:15 pm
You have options....I give you : K390 Urban. Even better :spyder:
Curious. Why would that be?

Team Innovation