Manix 154CM

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bouhunter

Manix 154CM

Post by bouhunter »

I have an opportunity to pick up a Manix 2 in 154CM steel (hollow grind) new in box. Any thoughts on a fair price for this? It's from friend and I don't want to take advantage of him, and offer a realistic price :) He's thinking of putting it on ebay and it would save him that trouble if I took it for a fair price. I don't think it's some highly collectible model, but don't want to offer him less than something right. Thought it might be cool to pick up an older Manix in hollow grind. C101GP2 on the box.

Thanks!
Evil D

Re: Manix 154CM

Post by Evil D »

The original was something like $80 street price, it was an "experiment" or something along the lines in selling a knife at a lower cost so it was a pretty good deal when the Para 2 was around $100 at the time. I'm not the best at appraisal but I would think something around $100 would be fair if it's mint condition. The demand for these seems to be more fanatical than anything, some people preferred the hollow grind, personally I wasn't a Manix 2 fan until they finally went FFG.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Manix 2 seem to go for around $80 used. I don’t think the NIB aspect adds much value personally. These are tough knives that are made to be used.

Kicking myself a little for not snagging the SE version when it was easy to come by. I have the CE and it’s tine, but SE would be amazing.

For PE the S30V FFG version is probably a better buy in most cases.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Nothing wrong with 154CM -- I would be delighted to have a Manix 2 in 154CM and would consider hollow grind an interesting bonus. I think that 154CM is a great steel that doesn't get the respect it deserves. So if I could pick one up for $100 or less, I would snap it up.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I should have grabbed the one I saw at the seconds sale but my cart was already full haha
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
polyhexamethyl

Post by polyhexamethyl »

a hollow ground combo edge manix was my first spyderco, i like the steel but not the hollowgrind so i reground it --- my first regrind was not my best work, but it's still in my EDC rotation but more like a mule of a knife
gmhauy

Post by gmhauy »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:36 am
Nothing wrong with 154CM -- I would be delighted to have a Manix 2 in 154CM and would consider hollow grind an interesting bonus. I think that 154CM is a great steel that doesn't get the respect it deserves. So if I could pick one up for $100 or less, I would snap it up.
I had a Manix 2 in 154CM that I had more or less let go and which was gathering dust in a drawer until I got myself a Sharpmaker; once properly sharpened I found that it did not leave my pocket and I was extremely happy both with the knife and the steel.
When I finally gave it to a family member, I compensated with a Manix 2 CF/Cruwear and a bit later a Backlock; I love both of them but I always remember fondly of the first one in 154CM and its edge quality.

gerard