How much can a DF2 handle?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZMW

How much can a DF2 handle?

Post by ZMW »

A couple days ago I only had my DF2 on me and needed to do some strenuous cutting. No abuse, but hard use. After 3-4 minutes of putting a good amount of cutting pressure on the knife there is a little more up and down blade play. I adjusted the pivot back and forth, but it is still there. How much hard use have you put your DF2 through? Can it handle hard use over the long haul?

(I know it is a tiny linerless knife, so I am not expected it to be a fixed blade beast. Just curious of everyone else's experiences with it)
attila

Re: How much can a DF2 handle?

Post by attila »

After some heavy cardboard cutting, I noticed my ZDP DF2 had blade play as well, so I don't use it for heavy cutting if other knives are available. My understanding of the vertical blade play is that there are tolerances in the pivot/blade/pivot hole that have opened up a bit during use. The blade/pivot pin tolerances won't change appreciably, but the pivot hole can loosen when there isn't a properly sized steel liner reinforcing it. Of course, that's just how mine changed.

The other thing that I imagine can cause play is if the lock bar and blade interface changes over time. This seems to me like what would gradually happen after years of use (or incessantly flicking it open), not a noticeable change over a short time.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Mine all have a little vertical play. Mine are all also FRN models so I suspect it's just the nature of small linerless FRN knives with very small pivot pins. I would expect the G10 version to be less susceptible to developing play.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

never any other issues besides a little up/down play? Never lock disengagement or any sort of failure? (under realistic use scenarios)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ZMW wrote:never any other issues besides a little up/down play? Never lock disengagement or any sort of failure? (under realistic use scenarios)

Nope, I think one benefit is how the grip works, with your thumb on the ramp and your index under the choil, much of the torque is soaked up between your fingers before it ever makes it to the pivot. The blade also being short means you never really apply a lot of leverage to the pivot, compared to how much you could create from say 3 inches away from the pivot on a larger blade. If you're really concerned about strength I'd get the G10 version or maybe check out the Rhino or Lil Native.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

A little up-and-down blade-play in Seki City midlocks is the norm (even out of the box), so I understand. My G10 DF2, Police4, several Stretches, and numerous Salts each have it. Hasn't posed a problem in my various light bushcrafting tasks (feathersticking, notching) or in just whittling hardwood (maple, hickory).
-Marc (pocketing a Maxamet Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
TargaMonteSS

Post by TargaMonteSS »

I have a 1st Gen dragonfly I bought used and carried for years, and still do. It has a broken tip. One day I had to use it to cut many 250lb zipties from around canvas bags and on metal poles. That put a lot of pressure on the pivot. It doesn't have any blade play, which is good since it has a non-adjustable rivet.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

The Stainless steel Dragonfly is the most bombproof. My FRN one is free of blade play as well but I baby my knives
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I do not have any blade play in any of my many DF's. However, the only one that has had any really hard use has been the G10 and it held up just fine. I think the FRN versions would not be able to handle a lot of stress on the pivot, but the lock should be fine.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

My DF2 H1 also developed some extra vertical play after a few harder cuts. The construction should give a hint that it’s a light user...
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Termite Toothpick

Post by Termite Toothpick »

I have a few DF2s and never had any issues. My ZDP 189 is my most used and is a laser through cardboard and other stuff around the office. I don't need much pressure due to its sharpness and the fact that it stays that way forever. Maybe you need to sharpen it up a bit so it will slice easier and require less force.

But if not, I would vouch for the Lil' Native as stated before. That thing is like my French Bulldog, small but stout and tough!
Dragonfly G-10, Blurple PM2, Para3, Jani-Song, Dragonfly2 ZDP-189, Lil' Native, Chaparral LW, Delica WC HAP40, Para3 M4, HH UKPK S30V, Para3 LW, Para3 LW M390, Meerkat V-TOKU2, M4 Sage 5 LW, Urban Ivory Damasteel, Leaf Storm

:bug-white-red -Derek
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I wouldn’t be surprised by this if the knife is used beyond its design expectations. None of my Dragonflies had any blade play whatsoever.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
likethevegetable

Post by likethevegetable »

Does the blade move with the back-lock?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

With the exception of the Triad Lock, there is at least a possibility of some movement of the blade/lock moving a little in hard use with a back lock due to the design. It does not have a stop pin (except for the Triad Lock). It is, however, the strongest lock type, even so.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050