Help me decide

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sjucaveman

Help me decide

Post by Sjucaveman »

Trying to decide which military to buy.
Knifeworks c.f. cpm-s90v
Knifeworks g-10 cts-204p

Want a tough knife primarily, would be open to different ideas as well.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
Xplorer

Re: Help me decide

Post by Xplorer »

If you want tough, carbon steels like M4 or 52100 would be better. Between the 2 you've listed the CTS204P blade is the tougher of the 2 steels. Both are awesome. Both hold an edge for an incredibly long time. S90V holds it's edge longer and is somewhat harder to sharpen. Neither is what one might call "easy" to sharpen.

Best regards,
Chad
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

I'm not a huge fan of non stainless steels to be honest unless perhaps is dlc coated like my manix in m4.
Adam
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Sjucaveman wrote:I'm not a huge fan of non stainless steels to be honest unless perhaps is dlc coated like my manix in m4.
I understand. I just wanted to suggest a tougher option per your request. I use 20CV for a lot of outdoor knives I make (it's the same thing as 204P). I use it because it not only holds an edge extremely well, but it has reasonable toughness for being a stainless with very good edge holding. If you want to consider stainless steels that are tougher than 204P, you should consider S35VN or Elmax and I don't think those are available in a Millie.

S90V is also a fantastic steel in it's own right. Edge holding is amazing. I just wouldn't call it tough. It IS tough to sharpen though :p .
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I would buy the KW 204P right now while it is on sale. That is a great deal (look at the price of the regular Millie in comparison). I think you would be happier with it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

I'm a little gun shy of the crazy super stainless steels after I fractured the blade of my s110v manix checking for blade play. I realize it was likely am imperfection in the steel as there were no signs of blade wear or damage prior to it happening. It just has me weary.
Adam
bouhunter

Post by bouhunter »

Sjucaveman wrote:I'm a little gun shy of the crazy super stainless steels after I fractured the blade of my s110v manix checking for blade play. I realize it was likely am imperfection in the steel as there were no signs of blade wear or damage prior to it happening. It just has me weary.
Fractured!?!?! :eek:
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

bouhunter wrote:
Sjucaveman wrote:I'm a little gun shy of the crazy super stainless steels after I fractured the blade of my s110v manix checking for blade play. I realize it was likely am imperfection in the steel as there were no signs of blade wear or damage prior to it happening. It just has me weary.
Fractured!?!?! :eek:
//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... ilit=Fluke

The pictures show the fracture.
Adam
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

Xplorer wrote:If you want tough, carbon steels like M4 or 52100 would be better. Between the 2 you've listed the CTS204P blade is the tougher of the 2 steels. Both are awesome. Both hold an edge for an incredibly long time. S90V holds it's edge longer and is somewhat harder to sharpen. Neither is what one might call "easy" to sharpen.

Best regards,
Chad
I wanted to pick up a military to give it a try, but seeing as they have a manix in 52100 dlc blade maybe I should go that route? I love the ergos of the manix but want to have spydies in every flavor.
Adam
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Sjucaveman wrote:I wanted to pick up a military to give it a try, but seeing as they have a manix in 52100 dlc blade maybe I should go that route? I love the ergos of the manix but want to have spydies in every flavor.
Honestly, you can't go wrong either way. Maybe one thing to consider is that the DLC coating will keep the blade from showing a patina but the advantage is only cosmetic. The edge will still be exposed and subject to the same corrosion with or without the coating. So, it depends on why you prefer not to use carbon steels I suppose. 52100 is quite easy to sharpen and I don't mind a patina so I like it. It's the only "simple steel" I use for custom knives because it's such a good all-around performer.

Your dilemma is an example of what Spydero does to us..if they offered 3 great knives the choice would be easy..when they offer tons of great choices we agonize over which one to get next. Great problem to have...but difficult nonetheless. :D :spyder:

Either knife you're considering will be great. After 30+ years of collecting knives I have learned how to solve this problem. If you go with whatever your gut tells you (regardless of logical arguments) you will be happy with your purchase.

Best regards,
Chad
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

I have the 204p Military and love it, definitely one of my favorites. I'm surprised they still have them in stock to be honest.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I have both those Military's and gotta say the CF/Ti S90v gets the nod because the Ti framelock just adds so much rigidity in hand, and very little weight. Really can't go wrong with either.
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

You know the real answer: Both ;)
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

Hopweaver wrote:You know the real answer: Both ;)
That will likely be the eventual result.

Anyone have any experience with knifeworks engraving? Curious where they do it and how well done it is.
Adam