Page 10 of 11

Re: Shipping of internal parts

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:37 pm
by jpm2
Pelagic wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:07 pm
jpm2 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:44 pm
I guess there should be some verification the knife in question is genuine before parts are sent.
Absolutely. Imagine if an authentic spyderco blade could fit into a fake. People would try to swap authentic spyderco blades into counterfeit models to save money (and probably sell them online as "authentic"). This would absolutely hurt spyderco. The customer would have to send the knife in and pay a good bit for a replacement blade plus shipping (just an example).
Except Spyderco doesn't replace blades that I know of, and probably never will. The only way to get a blade is buy the whole knife.

But on the other side of counterfeits. If someone has one, orders screws, backspacer, lanyard tube etc, and they don't fit, Spyderco has made their money on the parts and the counterfeit buyer has nothing useful. What's wrong with that?

Re: Shipping of internal parts

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:10 pm
by Pelagic
MichaelScott wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:24 pm
Pelagic wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:34 am
MichaelScott wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:04 am
Pelagic wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:16 pm


What is your problem? This thread is riddled with you harassing people. Grow up.
Don’t like people who don’t agree with your ideas? Too bad. It’s a discussion forum. Feel harassed? My response to your post isn’t harassment it is disagreement.

Your response reminds me of spoiled college students who try to intimidate anyone with a different opinion.
Oh, the irony. You have constantly attempted to shut down any and all opinions in this thread that don't mirror your own. How is that fueling discussion? You're obviously the one who can't stand the existence of differing opinions. Around 7 times you've told people that they are wrong, that they're beating a dead horse, or that they haven't read the entire thread (and if they had, they wouldn't have posted). No one can express their desire for spare parts or even literature on the dimensions of said parts without you coming in to passionately oppose their view. And no, I don't feel harassed personally, but what I said stands. All I said was "if it were my company..." how is that claiming anything is right or wrong? How am I, by any stretch of the imagination, telling spyderco what to do? How am I claiming that my opinion means more than anyone else's? It's not, I'm not, and I'm not. Why can't you just allow the discussion to take place? You're the one being rude. If nothing else, when people express their opinion on this matter, Sal gets an idea as to how many people desire parts availability. I don't know what your problem is, but it would be nice if you'd demonstrate a bit more common decency.
You should work on your reading comprehension. I’ve never told people to stop posting their opinions. I merely don’t agree with some, including yours, and say why. You are free to rebut.

Discuss, agree, disagree but don’t be an insulting brat.

Regards.
Lol, whatever you say buddy. It's all there in plain English. You are purposely trying to derail the discussion and even resort to name calling when people don't agree with you.

I found the ignore feature! :D

Regards.

Re: Shipping of internal parts

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:58 pm
by MichaelScott
Good. Glad that’s over.

Re: Shipping of internal parts

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:23 pm
by bagsnatcher
This thread devolved into a name calling fest.

Did we reach any conclusion?

I still need two parts for my mangled Para3 (my fault, I'll pay for the parts & shipping, because I'm a dum dum).

Re: Shipping of internal parts

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:24 pm
by MichaelScott
bagsnatcher wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:23 pm
This thread devolved into a name calling fest.

Did we reach any conclusion?

I still need two parts for my mangled Para3 (my fault, I'll pay for the parts & shipping, because I'm a dum dum).
Did you contact Spyderco?

Re: Shipping of internal parts

Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:04 pm
by w3tnz
sal wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:40 pm
Shipping of internal parts

There has been some discussion and fair amount of frustration on the question of Spyderco choosing not to ship internal parts. The subject is far more complicated than it might appear on the surface. Some of the questions that come up probably need to be explored and as usual, I would like your input on this policy.

Trying to inventory all parts for the hundreds of models and variations that we make is a daunting task. Without actually having the knife in our hands, even part selection is challenging. I will stay involved in this discussion and will try to share thoughts.

Some relevant questions:
What model do you have?
What variation do you have?
Do you have a counterfeit?
Collecting and shipping parts overseas is expensive. Will you pay for that service?

sal

Hi guys been a while since I’ve checked in here but I still use spydercos almost daily and still pick the odd one up when the budget permits, read through the thread and will share some thoughts.
This is a hard one and as an international customer I can relate somewhat, however I don’t agree that internal parts should be available outside the warranty and repair department.
There are people here that are mainly collectors and light users, probably have 100s of knives still new in boxes, that will never need waranty, parts or disassembly and may never understand the other kind of person that only has a few knives that see lots of use (maybe even abuse) and may require one or all of those things. The irony here is that the person least likely to require parts is most likely to be able to provide the required information; I personally don’t tend to keep the boxes.
If you’re buying a knife to put in the safe then the only cost is the purchase price, however if you’re buying a knife to use on a regular basis then you need to realise that there may be other costs involved over it’s useful lifetime. You might even need to completely replace the knife, so why bawk at the cost of return for w&r? Does this cost more than new > buy a new one, model discontinued or can’t be repaired > retire and move on. At least in my experience international shipping is reliable and not that expensive ($20-$50usd), ymmv of course but you know what you’re buying and where it comes from; where it needs to go back for warranty.
This thread is titled internal parts, I dont think spyderco has any obligation to supply “internal” parts, maybe screws and external parts I can understand for elu convinence and streamlined w&r but anything else is strictly a rtb warranty issue, either the manufacturer is responsible in the case of a defect or the customer in the case of wear and tear or accidental damage.
Liablities also come into this what if they ship you an internal part but it does not work right and you get hurt, they need to verify repairs and installations are done correctly.
I think Sal’s posts below sum this thread up well just contact S’co and they will help if they can, if they need the knife back to help then so be it, maybe they can’t help sometimes.
sal wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:54 am
We consider these situations on a case by case basis.
sal
sal wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:06 pm
We've been taking care of our customers one way or another.
sal

Re: Shipping of internal parts

Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:42 am
by dodgie02
sal wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:54 am
Hi Wolf,

Welcome to our forum.

We consider these situations on a case by case basis.

sal
Finally an awnser I can work with. I'm a bit taken aback by all the negativity, to be honest. Not from you, Mr glesser, but the overall consensus is that if you're European and you are in need of new screws, backspacers you are out of luck and should have been more careful/think about the logistics, etc etc.

Guys, accidents happen. I own 17 spydies take it or leave it, and I've spend a lot of money on them. Lots of imported sprint runs too adding a 40 euro import tax and 20 for shipping.
Domestically isn't much better, the last knife I bought was a kapara. It was 239 eur (239 Euros =
270.821416 U.S. dollars). You're telling me its unreasonable to request spyderco for simple replacement parts like screws and backspacers? Ofcourse I'll pay for the parts and shipping, its like a minor cost when looking at the total price already invested and if customers want to pay for the shipping and all..

Sending it in is absolutely bankbreaking. I had to send a 940 in because it was time for a new blade. That's roughly a flat 35 euro to send it through DHL package post, then there are the costs of their work, 26 euros respectively with the valuta exchange in mind, and then another 30ish euro to receive the package back. This is the price of package post even if shipped back with usps. Total sum: 91 euro's/103 dollars. But for a new blade which will last me years I'll suck it up. Its ike the 940-1 costs 340 eur (385usd).

And with that they also included 2 full sets of screws for the blade, down to the pivot screws, thumbstuds and backspacers, and even a bonus clip even though I didn't even ask for any of that but it's well appreciated.

Here is the thing, in our little countries you're not going to find aftermarket screws, scales, backspacers etc. Even all that will have to be imported via ebay and hope for the best in quality. Alternatively you can spend a shopping amount or money shipping a knife for just some screws to the states while a small envelope costs practically nothing, and it saves at least a month or sometimes 2 of waiting for your knife.
The last option is leaving eu clients out to dry? Which is unacceptable Ofcourse.

Now the reason I'm typing this, I'm having issues with my sage 5. For a long time a screw was already stripped, but I managed to tweak it so a flathead could screw it in. However, now, months further another one got some damage due to subpar torx tools sliding round in the pivot because the size probably just didn't fit the screw - it was still fine and functional but over time it got a bit worse each time until it simply went completely yesterday. And of course, I've used all the little tricks like putting a rubber band over it each time I cleaned the knife or simply tuned it back tight, heat the loctite I placed, etc.

And accidents come in threes it seems, it was quite a challenge getting that screw out of the backspacer and liner/scale. I have my own toolstation at work and Ofcourse the spacer dropped off the desk onto the workplace. To illustrate how desperate the situation with spyderco replacement parts is to is ill shamefully admit the following: the last two days Ive dragged a good big magnet across the floor but to no avail. Haha..

So here I am, read this entire thread and was wondering what my options are here. Ideally I only need 2 regular screws and a backspacer.

To quote the first post:
What model do you have?
Spyderco Sage 5

What variation do you have?
Regular sage 5 with the compression lock, peel ply g10, wire clip. Simply the latest sage out of the line.

Do you have a counterfeit?
No, it bought at knivesandtools, a trusted and reputable company, and have the bill, box it came in and I can provide pictures of it Ofcourse.

Collecting and shipping parts overseas is expensive. Will you pay for that service?
Ofcourse. Expensive is a relative term. 193 euro for a sage 5
Which I can't use anymore is far worse.

Should I mail this in? Seeing as you claimed it was a case by case thing.

I must say, to us Europeans who love spyderco, and spend quite some on them, not having the option to apply for the simple spare parts of an expensive knife is somewhat a deal breaker to me and probably many others. It's already quite a bit more expensive to us, not being able to source the simple things that get lost or are most prone to accident like screws, clips and spacers will definitely influence my spending behaviour. When spending so much on a knife I felt safety and guarantee in my purchase, justifying it (what with the lifelong warranty, the personal contact on these forums, I'm very impressed all in all). Hence my surprise. If my blade breaks, or I wreck a liner, or something like the ball bearing cage for a manix due to being an *** I'll ship it down and pay whatever needs to be done. But when offering premium products for premium prices, it would be nice to have a system in place in case for international clients who otherwise have nowhere to turn for mundane things like screws etc.

I don't mean the following as critique, simply an observation I have noticed; Spyderco is almost as expensive as Benchmade here. I've tried persuading friends to buy spyderco, but 2 ended up choosing Benchmade with the argument of pay more once but 'if you say I can get a new blade for a fee, and they give lifelong guarantee?' and I get that. I knew spyderco doesn't offer replacement blades, but I always assumed things like what happened to me and my sage 5 would be a non issue.
I think a system which lets (international) customers pay for simple replacement parts (and I'm not talking things like 'oops I bended my compression lock too far, new lock plus liner please!'), as a form of feeling secure in buying spyderco. I imagine it would only help sales overseas as well.

Thank you for reading. I'll contact spyderco customer support soon.

Re: Shipping of internal parts

Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:43 pm
by sal
Hi Dodgie,

I'll forward this post to Charlynn to give her a "heads-up". I'm sure she will take good care of you.

sal

Re: Shipping of internal parts

Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:21 am
by dodgie02
sal wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:43 pm
Hi Dodgie,

I'll forward this post to Charlynn to give her a "heads-up". I'm sure she will take good care of you.

sal
Dear Sal once again I'm amazed by your personal involvement in this community, and I'm very thankful for the way you handled my issue. I'll be contacting her tomorrow. I'm glad this got sort out because I've grown to love this blade so much and it's a big relieve I can fix it to peak performance ASAP.
Great service!

Thank you for your help!

Re: Shipping of internal parts

Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:51 am
by glideher
im looking for external part e.g wire clip but seems like im sh** out of luck for a simple part...anyone can help? or at least a single screw clip i can use, thanks

Re: Shipping of internal parts

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:30 am
by tap78
sal wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:09 pm
Hi Tap,
I believe Customer Seivice can help you.
sal
Dear Sal,
I wrote an email to Charlynn, and got a responce (2018-09-04):
[...] Regarding the ball cage, if the knife is mailed in there would be a $20 repair fee plus $5 for return shipping. However, due to your location I will speak to Sal regarding the ball cage to see if we are able to make an exception this once and sell a ball cage or determine how he’d like to proceed.


...any hope?

Re: Shipping of internal parts

Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:57 pm
by ol_lukey
disregard

Re: Shipping of internal parts

Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:46 pm
by pantagana23
As an owner of 99% lockbacks, I would be interested if washers would be suitable for shipping as parts for a specific model.
IMO, if we disregard all potential mishaps with threads on screws etc., the only thing that is on constant stress, and is shrinking with each opening and closing, are the washers.

Re: Shipping of internal parts

Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:42 pm
by Forcite
I live in Canada so sending a knife for repair can be a risky proposition - the Canadian Border Services Agency is pretty zealous. Knives that are legal to own and carry within Canada are not legal to bring across the border. Border Agents are also able to exercise quite a bit of latitude in what they choose to seize. With that in mind, the shipping of internal parts is something that is really valuable to me and other Canadians who are confident in repairing their knives.

I would have no issue paying for shipping of parts.

Re: Shipping of internal parts

Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:53 am
by Pelagic
It's really cool that Spyderco at least takes the time to address these issues and try to make things right despite their official policy.

I don't see many people asking for freebies. At the end of the day, the number 1 priority of a business is to collect cash. Without this central focus, the business will no longer exist. Most of the people expressing desire for spare parts are eager to hand Spyderco money. These are the type of people that keep a business going. They should be valued. I commend Sal for humoring and addressing all these individual situations and concerns with an open mind, despite so many people telling him he shouldn't or doesn't have to.

Re: Shipping of internal parts

Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:07 am
by knivesandbooks
Hi,

So, this is the first time this has happened, but I accidentally got a little driver happy when tightening the pivot on my Advocate. Is it possible for me to buy new pivot screws for that pivot? The pivot is fine, the screw heads are just a bit mangled. I'd purchase the whole pivot assembly if necessary.

Re: Shipping of internal parts

Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:01 pm
by sal
Hi K&B,

Contact customer service at Spyderco. We're on a vacation schedule so it might take a bit longer than usual.

sal

Re: Shipping of internal parts

Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:29 pm
by knivesandbooks
Thank you, Sal, I left a voicemail.

Re: Shipping of internal parts

Posted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:24 am
by Gideons
EDIT: I apologize for the double post. Reading back through the thread I realized I posted about the same problem 10 months ago.

Re: Shipping of internal parts

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:05 am
by fanucman
That’s too bad you can’t at least buy common parts like the paramilitary 2 phosphor bronze washers, I want a new set as a backup because I want to polish mine down a bit because the action is tight with my flytanium scales. I’ve found some aftermarket washers that are the same size except for the OD which is smaller. At least you can get aftermarket hardware readily available, there are ti hardware kits for pretty cheap these days. I can totally see why they discourage you from taking these things apart though, I’m allowed to since I’m an engineer (joking - kind of) but I can see how a less careful person might never get it back together right.