Shipping of internal parts

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
AlexRus

Re: Shipping of internal parts

Post by AlexRus »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:01 am
79bolo wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:59 am
Hi.Is possible to buy just blade for my PM2?My is heavily used and i would love to try tonto blade.Also new pivot washers would be good idea.

I think you could probably get new washers when contacting the Spyderco customer service, but certainly not just a spare new blade.
This is even more true for the tanto blade you´re looking for, cause that shape on the PM2 is kind of "property" of BHQ (since the Tanto PM2 is a dealer exclusive)
Nope, even getting new washers from Spyderco is impossible.
mrdavidkolds

Post by mrdavidkolds »

I don't take mine apart.
Dish soap and hot water have been all I've needed except for springs wearing out. Ive found a guy who can replace a lot of springs. I haven't had a broken spring on a spyderco yet. I had a Pin wear out on a Benchmade 42 and benchmade fixed it free and sharpened it, but they don't make as many varieties as spyderco. One of every variation of spyderco would fill a medium size museum, which is the coolest thing about spyderco, variety.
There are some knife repair guys out there if you search.
OrangeShoes

Post by OrangeShoes »

Shipping cost should be also considered. It will be disappointing is the shipping cost is more expensive than the new product itself.
vanka

Post by vanka »

I just read the most of the thread and as much as i dream to have the option for spare parts i do realize it's better not to. It will create a lot of troubles for Spyderco. More than the the current situation of not offering spare parts for sale. Imagine the insane amount of parts, even if not readily available, it will take time to make one - backspacer for example. And let's not forget we're humans, we make mistakes. Imagine you order something and you wait two months and it's the wrong part. A real nightmare for both parties. The closest to the reality is we get a spare clip and set of screws in the box. And this will reflect in a slight increase in price. It's only fair. I might get hated, but i'm against Spyderco selling spare parts. It will cause more trouble for them even if done with the intention to help their customers. I mean look at other companies - Hilti for example. I don't know how it is in the US, but here in EU Hilti does not sell any spare parts. Only very specific things. Like blade guard for the circular saw (because it's plastic, if it was a metal one they wouldn't sell this part either). Hilti doesn't sell parts and they don't authorize anyone to do repairs for them. There's a reason for that decision. It makes a lot of people unhappy, but that's the company's politics. The biggest difference is they have big network of stores and repair centers. Back to the topic - we need to realize that whatever we do with our knives it is our responsibility. Unless is a manufacturers defect. I did dip my rex45 in vinegar. It's my decision - i'm not gonna cry if it doesn't work well. I know a lot of folks don't think like that, many people have a lot of collector's pieces, accidents happen, but it is a bit unrealistic to ask for a spare part for a knife that was discontinued years ago. Stay safe folks.
Canyon Bill

Post by Canyon Bill »

I am surprised about the lack of internal parts, like screws and clips. If you have too many parts in inventory to cover the product line, you need to to review your design practices and use more common parts. It would help your bottom line and the customers too. I wouldn’t expect to get free parts, and I would be happy to pay a reasonable price for parts. It would be terrible to throw away an expensive knife because you couldn’t get a $5 part to fix it. Another company I contacted recently to get a push button for one of their knives resulted in a re-evaluation of their products and a unhappy customer. Me! I couldn’t get the part. Resulted in a totally un-useful, expensive knife. Probably wont buy one of their knives again. Terrible customer service.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Hi, Canyon Bill:
Welcome to our forum. We hope you enjoy your time with us.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Canyon Bill wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:59 pm
It would be terrible to throw away an expensive knife because you couldn’t get a $5 part to fix it. Another company I contacted recently to get a push button for one of their knives resulted in a re-evaluation of their products and a unhappy customer. Me!
Just as a thought experiment: if you took apart a wristwatch and lost one of the proprietary pieces inside, would you feel the same way about the watch company if they told you they don't send out parts?

Obviously it's *possible* for every company to stock and sell parts for use in repairs. But the tradeoffs will be different for each company. You're free to make your own decisions about tradeoffs as a user, too.
aquaseafoamshaman

Post by aquaseafoamshaman »

Is there a way to get a Smock stop pin without sending my knife to Spyderco? It's the "floating pin" that goes in the button-side scale.
Need4Knives

Post by Need4Knives »

As a Canadian I am afraid to send knives back to Spyderco for maintenance due to issues at border (I have had knives unfairly confiscated in the past).
I have been collecting knives for over 40 yrs and recently expanding my Spyderco’s with a range of new Delicas and Natives - the perfect pocket knives in my humble opinion.
Many years ago I dropped a Delica at the beach and needed to disassemble to clean out the sand. Everything went smoothly but I was tempted to purchase the ’internal replacement kit’ that was available at the time for a very reasonable price. It contained liners, screws, washers...

If a select set of popular models had replacement parts it would be an extra motivator for selecting a model for those of us that purchase from outside of the US.

p.s.
I would like to thank Spyderco for asking for the opinions of their loyal customers.
notfixingit

Post by notfixingit »

Honestly I would love to see this, I actually just reached out to support recently about this as I had a few things I wanted to do.

1) Get black liners for one of my knives to replace the silver
2) Replace a dlc blade that I've recently cut into a box with that had unprotected metal parts inside (idiot shipper) and scratched the **** out of it, it still functions but the look bothers me and unfortunately it's a combo I can't easily go buy a replacement for since it was an exclusive (DLC Cruwear).
3) Replace washers in one that got sand in the action and scratched up (even after cleaning you can hear the washers when opening/closing)
4) Simply replace some scales and screws

Most of these knives are not rocket science to take apart and reassemble and they shouldn't be! If you are smart enough to take it apart, your should be smart enough to know you have voided your warranty and accept responsibility to fix it on your own and it would be nice to be able to get the parts to do so.

Sometimes people are just not in a position to mail it in for repair, I travel a lot and having the ability to just order xyz part and even pay a huge shipping few to get the part overnighted would mean the difference of having a usable knife for 3-6months or not.

Lastly, one of the great things about knives is customizing it to be your own but also there are times where things happen that just void warranty
----------------------------------------------------
Spyderco and Tops enthusiast
Obsessed with DLC Cruwear for some reason
Knives, Guns, and Watches, yes please

- Tom aka NotFixingIT
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Need4knives,

Welcome to our forum and thanx for your comments. With CQI, parts change and we never know which "improvement" version one may have?

I've thought about a "Leggo" model that permits the regular taking it apart, like a gun? It wouldn't change over time.

sal
Need4Knives

Post by Need4Knives »

@ Sal, thank you for the kind welcome.

Now a Leggo style model would definitely get my attention. Also something unique in the market place.
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

I look at all the companies with accessory scales, screws, and aftermarket clips for Spyderco. Sal, I would say your company has 2 products that could almost be lego style models without much effort on your companies part. The paramilitary 2 and para 3 have such large aftermarket presence.

I own a para 3 lightweight, and wanted to make it into a Frankenstein para 3. All the para 3 hardware can be purchased after market but the skeletonized liners.

I asked Spyderco if I could buy the liners, but they told me this is not an option… to eBay I go to stalk things out for a old broken knife…
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009
cjk

Post by cjk »

Kevinim82 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:38 pm
I look at all the companies with accessory scales, screws, and aftermarket clips for Spyderco. Sal, I would say your company has 2 products that could almost be lego style models without much effort on your companies part. The paramilitary 2 and para 3 have such large aftermarket presence.

I own a para 3 lightweight, and wanted to make it into a Frankenstein para 3. All the para 3 hardware can be purchased after market but the skeletonized liners.

I asked Spyderco if I could buy the liners, but they told me this is not an option… to eBay I go to stalk things out for a old broken knife…
I would add the FRN Delica 4 to that list. Just freeze the G10 Para 3, G10 Para Military 2, and the FRN Delica 4 in time and "boom", you've got lego knives. All of these have pretty terrific aftermarket customization support already. Conceivably, you could still do CQI as long as any new parts fit in the same places the old parts do. CQI with limitations.
Also, if you ever wanted to do a custom knife program, having lego knives would be the first place to start.
JDubs

Post by JDubs »

I'm on the fence on this issue. There are so many short-lived species in this market that holding parts for all of them seems unrealistic. Some standard parts like screws and such should be a no-brainer, but with the obvious footnote that if they’re standard screws, you should be able to get them anywhere anyway, so Spyderco’s not really as much on the hook. And I’ve seen vendors offering Ti screws on eBay anyway.

For some models like the Delica, Endura, or others that don’t really change, I think it’s reasonable to maintain some stock for up to XX years after it’s been disco’d, as well as to maintain stock of replacement blades in whatever the standard steel of the day happens to be. Add ‘replacement blade’ to the stamp, so there are no shenanigans, or some other identifying feature. Smaller hole, or a notch in the back of the blade, much like how you used to be able to buy CDs and cassettes that were manufacturers over-stock: Still played fine, but they drilled a hole in the case to designate it as not regular retail item, so you couldn’t just trade it in for something else.

One person has brought up Hilti. Festool is another euro brand, their tools are top-notch, and they hold parts for repairs for a particular number of years, as part of customer support. Not necessarily for sale, but you can send in an old tool and still get it repaired after they’ve stopped making it.

There’s a third option that nobody has mentioned. If Spyderco is unwilling to maintain stock, maybe they could set up relationships with Spyderco-approved vendors who own small CNC machines. Parts that require CNC work can be made with Spyderco-generated files that are different enough from stock parts that they can’t be sold as counterfeit, but are still approved functional replacements for broken parts. Approved vendors would be qualified and authorized to do the work. At a certain amount of mileage, whether due to age or abuse, there’s no reasonable excuse to expect warranty coverage. But affordable repair still should be something a consumer has access to.

CNC files and counterfeiting… Lot of wolves in those woods, but that’s mostly because of the times we live in: CNC is out there. The flip side is a growing secondary market for custom scales and the like, for models with market presence and longevity. I saw a set of custom Ti scales for a Benchmade the other day that had been heat anodized with an image of a koi fish. Simply stunning, but not the kind of thing that anyone would have been able to make on spec until recently. If Spyderco is willing to shorten the process for a CNC shop by generating an OEM file, based on their own designs, it should make a lot of this much easier for all involved. OEM-approved CNC files for replacement parts would keep Spyderco’s parts bins nice and lean, but still allow people to keep those old soldiers in their pocket.

All of this brings an old philosophical riddle to my mind…

A man has owned a knife for many years, and the blade has been sharpened past usefulness. So, the man replaces the blade, and gives the knife to his son.

The son gets many years of usefulness out of the knife, but eventually the handle breaks. He replaces the handle, and gives the knife in turn to *his* son.

Is it still the same knife?

—-

Regardless of your answer, I think most of us who are used to having a knife in our pocket share an old-fashioned streak. Being able to take care of our tools and repair things is an old-fashioned notion.

Whatever Sal decides, I’m glad he’s still doing what he’s doing, the way he’s doing it. These are weird times, and adapting fast enough is getting more and more challenging…
Otremba Tactical

Post by Otremba Tactical »

I’d like to be able to buy a polymer cage lock for a manix. I want to take a dremmel to it and add tritium. The ultimate customization.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Otremba Tactical:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear JDubs:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
vivi

Post by vivi »

Well dang. Noticed my Military is missing one of the body screws today. Hopefully I can order one.....
:unicorn
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

vivi wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:38 pm
Well dang. Noticed my Military is missing one of the body screws today. Hopefully I can order one.....
You definitely can. Screws ain't considered internal parts and that's right.