Shipping of internal parts

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Daecadas

Re: Shipping of internal parts

Post by Daecadas »

Is there a way to purchase original liners and Scales online? I haven't found any and I bought a shammy from a friend and she's all in skinny replacement parts. I'd rather her back to original.

Thanks!
harpo1

Post by harpo1 »

Daecadas wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:31 am
Is there a way to purchase original liners and Scales online? I haven't found any and I bought a shammy from a friend and she's all in skinny replacement parts. I'd rather her back to original.

Thanks!
Nope. You would have to find them on the secondary market.
--Pete
Daecadas

Post by Daecadas »

harpo1 wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:45 am
Daecadas wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:31 am

Thanks!
Nope. You would have to find them on the secondary market.
That sucks. Thanks though!
knife_edge

Post by knife_edge »

I got spare screws for my PM2 from Spyderco.
To be honest, it was not easy, an unpleasant aftertaste remained after communication with customer service.
It feels like they tried no to send screws, but after a dozen emails, they finally sent it.
Thank you Spyderco, but I have no desire to contact customer service again.
TomahawkT10

Post by TomahawkT10 »

knife_edge wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:12 pm
I got spare screws for my PM2 from Spyderco.
To be honest, it was not easy, an unpleasant aftertaste remained after communication with customer service.
It feels like they tried no to send screws, but after a dozen emails, they finally sent it.
Thank you Spyderco, but I have no desire to contact customer service again.
I have to agree unfortunately. I am based in the UK and the only way for me to get a stop pin on a lil native black blade (which is threaded and houses two screws) is to send my whole knife back to the USA. The knife is a few weeks old and i threaded it accidentally just trying to remove blade play and center the blade. The cost, time and risk involved (UK customs love to destroy anything with a blade) is not logical and the risk i am based in China running a cloning factory is fairly low as I have sent proof of purchase, proof of address and sent photos of the box, serial number etc. My address and details are on file with Customer Service and they have done work on knives for me in the past. The knife was made in May 2022 so they know the config used to alleviate any CQI concerns. It was my Xmas present. Please Spyderco, can you just sell me the $2 part and put it in the post? I'll pay for it all. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Last edited by TomahawkT10 on Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Danke

Post by Danke »

So I had a Sprint Ayoob (first one, not the Cruwear). Lost one clip screw, and that was on me.

Went back and forth with Kristi in CS. She sent a batch of different sizes of clip bolts out to me but wasn't able to send the exact match since there wasn't another knife like that to test them on.

Wound up sending the knife to Golden. They hand milled the right fit of screws, fixed the knife and sent it back and didn't charge.

So short of putting staff on a plane to fly out to folks homes and fix the stuff there while you watch I think they do a great job.

It really comes down to do you want the knife fixed, or do you want to put a bunch of roadblocks ahead of getting the knife fixed because you're special.

I just want the knife fixed, that's about the 3rd knife I've sent to Golden as a result of my own use and they've never let me down.
Albertdd

Post by Albertdd »

Spyderco apparently is not interested in providing parts for their knives to their customers. Apple, in similar fashion, doesn't either. What really propelled Apple iphone sales was 3rd party accessories. Since Apple created uniquely designed products, these suppliers had to comply to Apple design criteria, but with so many cool products available, sales exploded. Today, you'll still find more accessories for Apple than any other brand.
If spyderco was interested in increasing sales/profits, they would consider developing a similar relationship.
Flytanium, AWT, Lynch, MXG Gear and others could expand their scope of supply and others could come on board. Ques sera.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Albertdd:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
SaintZvlkx

Post by SaintZvlkx »

Albertdd wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:08 pm
Spyderco apparently is not interested in providing parts for their knives to their customers. Apple, in similar fashion, doesn't either. What really propelled Apple iphone sales was 3rd party accessories. Since Apple created uniquely designed products, these suppliers had to comply to Apple design criteria, but with so many cool products available, sales exploded. Today, you'll still find more accessories for Apple than any other brand.
If spyderco was interested in increasing sales/profits, they would consider developing a similar relationship.
Flytanium, AWT, Lynch, MXG Gear and others could expand their scope of supply and others could come on board. Ques sera.
Don't really see where you're going here if I'm being honest. There's almost no comparison between the aftermarket for knives and phones not is there really much similarity to work with between knives and phones themselves. The aftermarket knife world doesn't really need anything from manufacturers besides access to knives in order to design their own accessories. There's no power or port standards. Nor do aftermarket parts fundamentally alter the utility of a knife in such a respect that the manufacturer needs oversight. Aftermarket phone accessories provide solutions to shortcomings that fundamentally alter how a phone is used. Aftermarket knife parts mainly exist for aesthetics. Don't see how the current aftermarket could be much more robust, nor do I see how it would drive sales.
knife_edge

Post by knife_edge »

Albertdd wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:08 pm
I am not interested in aftermarket parts for my Spyderco, all I would like is the original parts for my knife to be able to order quickly and without a headache.
irontriangle

Post by irontriangle »

It’s funny this post is at the top of my feed today. I posted something similar about purchasing parts. It brought a few “spirited” individuals out of the woodwork.

I feel bad for the UK customers who have to send the whole knife back for something simple. Even in Canada, we have annoying CBSA rules. I did send my Magnitude for Warranty once and a blade sharpen. I didn’t have an in depth understanding of the customs rules, and the magnitude has a flipper tab. It went out and came back no issues though which is good.
Manix 2 Maxamet LW, Sub-Hilt Vallotton, Hundred Pacer, Yojumbo, Spydiechef, Dragonfly ZDP-189, Lil Temperance 3, PM2 S110V, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Q-Ball, Schempp Bowie, Smock, Chaparral CTS-XHP, Dogtag Folder, Ladybug Salt, Magnitude S30V, Meerkat Rex-45, Meerkat Aus 6, Squeak
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

I am fortunate to never need parts for any knife I have owned. I understand that people take stuff apart and loose pieces, occasionally stuff breaks, and whatever else. I have noticed some spirited conversation around this issue.

I looked on Spyderco Warranty and Repair page, and there is no clear statement, "Replacement parts are not available for purchase." This thread is 15 pages in and I am sure the consensus is, Spyderco will not send replacement parts. So... is it time to have some bold statement on the Warranty page so it is more clear?

15 pages in and I have also notice that Spyderco does everything it can to keep their knives in service and in the hands of customers.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
BingBong

Post by BingBong »

I read a couple of less favourable comments about Spyderco’s CS, so felt I should add my experience for balance. In short, it was excellent and I was very impressed that Spyderco was willing to directly support customers in Europe. The lost screws arrived, together with a small tube of Loctite, using a signed-for courier service (which must have been expensive). Still, the experience means that Spyderco is now the only folding knife brand I buy or recommend.

The spare parts support is a massive challenge for any business and I feel quite confident to say that if your average customer fully understood the cost and complexity involved, they would lower the “service level expectation” they are demanding.

Spare parts operations can end up being nearly as costly and complex to run as the the main product-selling business.

You cannot compare a relatively small knife company with a massive car manufacturer. It’s apples and oranges. Parts sales and inventory management systems can automate much of the process, but get expensive for companies with relatively low turnover of relatively low-cost products.

Spyderco is stuck between a rock and a hard place here. For sure they could create a top grade parts service but someone has to pay in the end and it has to receive enough orders to cover set-up and running costs, otherwise the next complaint will be, “why did I have to pay 50€\$ for a tiny screw”.
RyanAnchors

Post by RyanAnchors »

One of my Shamans (I have a few…) has a faulty pivot pin and maybe lock side liner. I’ve isolated the issue by swapping parts with other Shamans I own. It causes play play that my other Shamans don’t have even with the pivots tightened down to where the blade doesn’t move very easily. I emailed CS offering to buy a pivot pin and a lock liner if possible and they told me I have to send the knife in. I understand their position, but for me to have to pay shipping both ways and not have my knife for however long that will take is so inconvenient that I’ve started posting looking to buy broken or beat up shamans on the secondary just to get those parts. It’s more convenient for me to buy another Shaman and I feel like that means there’s an issue here. I understand with a design that’s had a million QCI changes, but I don’t believe the Shamans have as they’re relatively new designs. Also, shouldn’t Spyderco be able to tell which version of a knife I have by the born month/year on the blade tang? So needing it in their hands physically seems like overkill.

Trust me, I love Spyderco. 85% of my decent sized knife collection are Spydies and they’re all almost all Sprints and Exclusives. A few Shamans, maybe eight Manixs, YoJimbo and jumbo, native chief, paras, etc and many more and I don’t have a single s30v blade anymore. I’m a die hard fan. This CS policy is one thing that I do believe could be improved upon, respectfully.

You could even sell parts to dealers if you didn’t want to deal with it. Sell BladeHQ OEM liners and pivots and hardware, etc and let them sell them. If people buy it and it doesn’t fit on their knife, BHQ will do the return. Not Spyderco. I’m sure they would be happy to carry them for at least the most popular models and if not them any other major dealer. Just one idea.

Much love for the wonderful products.
mrpietro

Post by mrpietro »

Lost a manix stopper block(not sure about name).

Part that holds the spring and ball cage in place.

Cant use the knife now.

Would pay for sure
RyanAnchors

Post by RyanAnchors »

mrpietro wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:05 am
Lost a manix stopper block(not sure about name).

Part that holds the spring and ball cage in place.

Cant use the knife now.

Would pay for sure
Lock bar/lock backspacer. Ouch, yeah that’s the hardest part to get for a G10 Manix. Spyderco really needs to evaluate all the responses online to this policy like they have with other policies in the past (like disassembly voiding your warranty, which they’ve now changed as well as using red loctite from the factory). This is the number one thing I see people mention when they criticize Spyderco CS. Even Benchmade (pretty much the worst major knife company) will sell you missing parts if you lose them.

Sal, Eric, etc: please consider revising this policy. People will happily pay for the parts. At least offer it for the most popular models like the Shaman, Manix, and Para series.
IronBird

Post by IronBird »

I would like to order a clip for a C111 Captain knife. I have followed all of Spyderco's instructions, but I don't understand why they have to call the Spyderco Store. I have been told that I am not in the USA. I am happy to pay for the item. and shipping costs but I can't find a way to buy it. Please action my email sent to sfo@spyderco same wording.

Thank you.
ThatSpydieBitMe

Post by ThatSpydieBitMe »

I'd gladly pay whatever would be fair. I have but one, original Civilian. Had no problem paying the premium these knives go for around here.

Sending in the knife from Europe is more or less complicated, depending on the country. If I were residing in US, I wouldn't mind the cost - after all, these are isolated, unfortunate events.
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

After trying to get a simple faulty pivot screw shipped to me, and that being a 4 month battle of calls and emails, I have no doubt that spyderco is as you say not capable of providing internal parts to customers.
shane1

Post by shane1 »

My opinion is that parts should be available for sale. I understand Spyderco’s positions but there are other realities that affect the customer. Some take knives apart for maintenance, whether they should or shouldn’t does not detract from that reality. Some parts wear out or get lost. I have had a liner lock on a 90’s military wear out over time and the knife became unusable. I have lost grip screws on two PM2’s. I have lost a clip screw. I have bent numerous clips and some would not bend back as nicely as I hoped. I had a Police 3 model with bad centering. If I could have added a washer, I would have been more content. I still love Spyderco and have been carrying one since the early 1990’s but if I was trusted to buy parts I would be very happy.

Spyderco could also expand its profitability by offering different scales and parts for sale.