Shipping of internal parts

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: Shipping of internal parts

Post by vivi »

AlexRus wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:18 pm
vivi wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:38 pm
Well dang. Noticed my Military is missing one of the body screws today. Hopefully I can order one.....
You definitely can. Screws ain't considered internal parts and that's right.
Well I had been trying to get a Police 4 pivot screw since January 20th 2021 without luck, so I wasn't sure what to expect. Got an email back within 24 hours saying the Military screw is no problem to send out, so that's good news.

The Police has been a strange experience. At first they agreed to send a pivot screw, but only sent the male half and I need both halves to put the knife together. Now I'm told those parts can't be sent out and I'll have to mail the knife to them, wait three weeks and pay $25. For a pivot screw.

Not sure if I'll send the Police in or just hold on to it for spare parts.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:20 pm
AlexRus wrote:
vivi wrote:
Well I had been trying to get a Police 4 pivot screw since January 20th 2021 without luck, so I wasn't sure what to expect. Got an email back within 24 hours saying the Military screw is no problem to send out, so that's good news.

The Police has been a strange experience. At first they agreed to send a pivot screw, but only sent the male half and I need both halves to put the knife together. Now I'm told those parts can't be sent out and I'll have to mail the knife to them, wait three weeks and pay $25. For a pivot screw.

This is weird.

They did send me a pivot screw for my Endela (to Europe!) for free plus a small tube of locktite (which I did not request at all, but of course really appreciated).
This was in August 2020.

And before that (can´t recall when exactly): The same two times with body screws (Endura / Delica)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

vivi wrote:
AlexRus wrote:
vivi wrote:
Well dang. Noticed my Military is missing one of the body screws today. Hopefully I can order one.....
You definitely can. Screws ain't considered internal parts and that's right.

Spyderco Military is US made, and all the parts are in stock in Golden, Colorado. The Police model is made in Japan and the Spyderco may not have some of the parts since they don't assemble it in the USA.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

vivi wrote:

I hate inconsistent customer service. You can have two people with the same issue but 2 different experiences. One will get their part shipped out no cost. Their knife will be fixed with little to no hassle and they will go on with their lives. The other has to pay out of pocket to ship the knife and be without it for weeks. The negative experience will usually cause them to try another company and advise others to do the same.
I could understand if there was truly a legitimate reason to not supply the parts. Just because a parts made in another country is no excuse. When car manufacturers make the components they will make extra so they have stock for warranty work. No reason Spyderco can't order say 50 extra pivots, screws, and lanyard tubes from the maker when putting in a order. Once the part is in stock if numbers run low they will know what they need to make or order.
The people who make requests for parts generally have a good understanding how a knife works and goes together. There can even be cases where someone acquires the part and takes it to a competent person for replacement. If those parts are not available anymore I could understand but if you have stock and a vague idea of parts requested why not send them? It seems like the only down side is not sending them and people complaining. I understand CQI causes issues but don't think it's a valid excuse. I've worked in many production environment's and can tell you it's not that hard to make note of what components are used in each run of a particular model. If that's not something Spyderco already does I really think they should start. It's not a perfect system because the knife would still need identified. It seems most of the people complaining about not getting parts are well aware of what model they have so this could take care of the vocal minority and it never hurts to have more documentation.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Yeah it was weird having one rep send me a pivot screw and another say they can't. Might just give that Police away and wash my hands of it, it's been sitting in pieces for a year waiting for a screw and I'm tired of looking at it.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

vivi wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:46 pm
Yeah it was weird having one rep send me a pivot screw and another say they can't. Might just give that Police away and wash my hands of it, it's been sitting in pieces for a year waiting for a screw and I'm tired of looking at it.
Just send it my way and I'll dispose of it for you. ;) Shouldn't be too hard to find something to make it work.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Well, I actually need to get one of the "old" barrel clip screws (like on the Pac Salt 1 or the old Native versions) from Spyderco.
Let's see how this will work out.

Again: So far their customer service has always been 100% perfect for me!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:20 pm
vivi wrote:
Just send it my way and I'll dispose of it for you. ;) Shouldn't be too hard to find something to make it work.
lol, pm incoming
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

What model do you have? About 50 to 60 different ones.
What variation do you have? Not many of 1 model. i don't care collecting the same model wirh different steel or colour. I do sometimes buy a different handle material ( G10 Vs Ti)
Do you have a counterfeit?.not that i am aware of.
Collecting and shipping parts overseas is expensive. Will you pay for that service? Yes. I rather then loosing the ability to use the knife. ( Try finding a bent PPT or yojumbo 1 clip....)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Well I'm 0 for 2 now.

Noticed a body screw missing from my Military the other week, no idea how it just fell out like that.

Tried to get a screw for the Military. Was very clear in my description of what I needd, including photos of where the screw is missing on the millie handle.

Mail arrived. There's nothing for a Military in the package. There's a clip labelled police 3 clip. But it doesn't fit a Police 3. Or a Police 4. Or literally a single knife from any brand in my collection.

I have no idea why they sent me a random clip that doesn't go to any knife I own. I'm not sure what was confusing about asking for a body screw for a Military folder. But I didn't get it.

It's frustrating simply not being able to get parts to Spyderco folders. Couldn't get a police 4 pivot screw, now I can't get a Military body screw.

No idea what knife this even goes to, but not any in my collection.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

What the heck is that
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

That is a civilian clip.
hereiamu1

Post by hereiamu1 »

I am in the process now trying to get a pivot post and screw for my new Endela Wharncliffe.
I emailed Spyderco a picture of the stripped screw and post and asked if they could send me new ones. They replied asking for an address to send me a screw and they suggested using loctite. I answered saying I need both pivot post and screw. They said if the post needs to be replaced I have to send them the knife. I thought ok I will send the knife in even though I can replace them. I send the knife in with the screw removed. Weeks later I get the knife back. YAY! Then I see all they did was put the screw back in with loctite!! BOOOOOOOOOOOO :'( Last Monday I sent another email with pictures from before I sent the knife in and after I got it back. I also asked if they could please send me the pivot post and screw, I can replace them myself.
I haven't received a reply. I am hoping maybe the parts are coming and they just didn't bother to reply to my last email. I will probably wait until Wed, Thur and try again.
burlyspyder

Post by burlyspyder »

vivi wrote:
Yeah, this just happened to a friend of mine. 2 different answers on whether they could provide a Manix 2 pivot. Then, no follow-up...

I've poked around and haven't found one anywhere, which is a bummer.

Thanks,
-burly
:bug-red: H1(s), M4, 4v, 10v, 15v(m), Hap40, s90v, s110v, BD1n, Maxamet, Magnacut(s), Z-max(m), Z-wear(m), Magnacut(m), SRS13(m), Rex76(m), M398(m)
Other: D2, White#1, Blue#2, SuperBlue, VG-10, 204P, 20cv, s30v, s35vn, s45vn, s90v, HIC, TC71
tymiller

Post by tymiller »

Sal
Thanks for explaining. I had not though of a few of your issues but knowing how models have changed over years I can see how it might be a problem. You'd probably have to hire people just to stock, store and inventory every screw and clip you've ever made. Not sure I'd be willing to take that on if I was you.

As to needing parts or repair I've simply always just sent the knife back to Spyderco and it comes back better than I sent it in. That would also solve the problem of figuring out what exact part you need. Of course it might not be as easy for people overseas. I don't know their limitations.

Thanks
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear tymiller:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Ty,

Good to see you here. I know that you have many questions. I think the folks here have many answers.

sal
tymiller

Post by tymiller »

Thank Sal and great seeing you today.

Ty
Pcexbird

Post by Pcexbird »

The lack of ability to order replacement parts (i.e. OEM hardware, lost screws) is discouraging. I'd definitley pay for the ability to purchse replacement and spare parts for my Spyderco knives. As far as counterfeit knives being outfitted with real hardware could be an issue but I doubt counterfitters would be willing to pay the price for OEM parts to begin with.

A perfect example of the parts dilemma actualy occurred yesterday. I was looking into buying a modified, yet authentic Spyderco knife. It was switched over to Ti hardware.

One would love the ability to have the option of returning their knife to factory original if for example they were having issues with the aftermarket parts or simple wanted to use the knife as it was intended with good hardware.
E|D|C
:respect Cold Steel Tuff-Lite
:cyclone Case XX 5finn Fixed Blade
:flashlight LetmY 18650/UV395/1kLm Flashlight
Pcexbird

Post by Pcexbird »

Sal, please for current production knives relpacment wearable parts should be available. Those with relics expect to not be able to get parts. But when we buy a $250 knife and need a pivot, etc. And the knife is left out of service it encourages some (including myself) to rethink purchasing Spyderco. It's unknown how Benchmade can and will send replacment parts (and even blades) but Spyderco won't even do the former.
E|D|C
:respect Cold Steel Tuff-Lite
:cyclone Case XX 5finn Fixed Blade
:flashlight LetmY 18650/UV395/1kLm Flashlight