Shipping of internal parts

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
AlexRus

Re: Shipping of internal parts

Postby AlexRus » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:05 am

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:01 am
79bolo wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:59 am
Hi.Is possible to buy just blade for my PM2?My is heavily used and i would love to try tonto blade.Also new pivot washers would be good idea.

I think you could probably get new washers when contacting the Spyderco customer service, but certainly not just a spare new blade.
This is even more true for the tanto blade you´re looking for, cause that shape on the PM2 is kind of "property" of BHQ (since the Tanto PM2 is a dealer exclusive)
Nope, even getting new washers from Spyderco is impossible.

mrdavidkolds

Postby mrdavidkolds » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:58 pm

I don't take mine apart.
Dish soap and hot water have been all I've needed except for springs wearing out. Ive found a guy who can replace a lot of springs. I haven't had a broken spring on a spyderco yet. I had a Pin wear out on a Benchmade 42 and benchmade fixed it free and sharpened it, but they don't make as many varieties as spyderco. One of every variation of spyderco would fill a medium size museum, which is the coolest thing about spyderco, variety.
There are some knife repair guys out there if you search.

OrangeShoes

Postby OrangeShoes » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:02 am

Shipping cost should be also considered. It will be disappointing is the shipping cost is more expensive than the new product itself.

vanka

Postby vanka » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:14 pm

I just read the most of the thread and as much as i dream to have the option for spare parts i do realize it's better not to. It will create a lot of troubles for Spyderco. More than the the current situation of not offering spare parts for sale. Imagine the insane amount of parts, even if not readily available, it will take time to make one - backspacer for example. And let's not forget we're humans, we make mistakes. Imagine you order something and you wait two months and it's the wrong part. A real nightmare for both parties. The closest to the reality is we get a spare clip and set of screws in the box. And this will reflect in a slight increase in price. It's only fair. I might get hated, but i'm against Spyderco selling spare parts. It will cause more trouble for them even if done with the intention to help their customers. I mean look at other companies - Hilti for example. I don't know how it is in the US, but here in EU Hilti does not sell any spare parts. Only very specific things. Like blade guard for the circular saw (because it's plastic, if it was a metal one they wouldn't sell this part either). Hilti doesn't sell parts and they don't authorize anyone to do repairs for them. There's a reason for that decision. It makes a lot of people unhappy, but that's the company's politics. The biggest difference is they have big network of stores and repair centers. Back to the topic - we need to realize that whatever we do with our knives it is our responsibility. Unless is a manufacturers defect. I did dip my rex45 in vinegar. It's my decision - i'm not gonna cry if it doesn't work well. I know a lot of folks don't think like that, many people have a lot of collector's pieces, accidents happen, but it is a bit unrealistic to ask for a spare part for a knife that was discontinued years ago. Stay safe folks.

Canyon Bill

Postby Canyon Bill » Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:59 pm

I am surprised about the lack of internal parts, like screws and clips. If you have too many parts in inventory to cover the product line, you need to to review your design practices and use more common parts. It would help your bottom line and the customers too. I wouldn’t expect to get free parts, and I would be happy to pay a reasonable price for parts. It would be terrible to throw away an expensive knife because you couldn’t get a $5 part to fix it. Another company I contacted recently to get a push button for one of their knives resulted in a re-evaluation of their products and a unhappy customer. Me! I couldn’t get the part. Resulted in a totally un-useful, expensive knife. Probably wont buy one of their knives again. Terrible customer service.

TazKristi

Postby TazKristi » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:16 am

Hi, Canyon Bill:
Welcome to our forum. We hope you enjoy your time with us.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.

JacksonKnives

Postby JacksonKnives » Mon May 03, 2021 10:43 pm

Canyon Bill wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:59 pm
It would be terrible to throw away an expensive knife because you couldn’t get a $5 part to fix it. Another company I contacted recently to get a push button for one of their knives resulted in a re-evaluation of their products and a unhappy customer. Me!
Just as a thought experiment: if you took apart a wristwatch and lost one of the proprietary pieces inside, would you feel the same way about the watch company if they told you they don't send out parts?

Obviously it's *possible* for every company to stock and sell parts for use in repairs. But the tradeoffs will be different for each company. You're free to make your own decisions about tradeoffs as a user, too.

aquaseafoamshaman

Postby aquaseafoamshaman » Tue May 11, 2021 7:09 am

Is there a way to get a Smock stop pin without sending my knife to Spyderco? It's the "floating pin" that goes in the button-side scale.

Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”